Author Topic: Time to Ban Kitty-Cats Next ??  (Read 1230 times)

erik the bold

• friend
  • Bite my shiney metal....
Time to Ban Kitty-Cats Next ??
« on: January 01, 2007, 10:01:28 AM »
These people are truly off the deep end.....Where's the barf smiley when you need it??

Pit bull terriers have already been handed in and destroyed ahead of Northern Ireland's first amnesty

from: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/6219379.stm

Owners of the outlawed breed in Ballymena, County Antrim, have been given the whole of January to hand in the dogs without fear of prosecution.

The town council's dog warden, Nigel Devine, said two pit bulls had been left with the council.

Both of the animals were put down, although Mr Devine stressed neither appeared vicious.

Nine owners have asked him in advance to check their pets in case they had unwittingly been sold pit bulls - none of those examined turned out to be the illegal breed.

"Two pit bulls have been presented to us already," he said.

"One was left at our landfill site early in December and the other was just handed in to us at the council."

Mr Devine expressed his concern at the difference in the legislation around the Dangerous Dogs Act which bans the ownership of pit bull terriers.

"In England, if the dog is not a danger to the public, a magistrate can allow the owner to keep it, but that doesn't apply in Northern Ireland," he said.

"I'm asking why are we being treated differently?"

The idea for an amnesty followed an horrific pit bull attack on a family in County Antrim in November.

Sean and Deirdre Doherty and their two children escaped serious injury in Randalstown Forest park.

But one of their pet Labradors, which protected them from being savaged, later died from his injuries.

Mr Devine claimed that some pit bulls were being bred for use in organised dog fighting.

"It's about criminality - obviously there's dog fighting going on, especially around border towns," he added.

"If you ban anything, there becomes a lucrative market for it.

"It's all macho image - the only reason these people have these dogs is because they are banned.

"You see these people out walking their dogs, saying `Look at me and my pit bull', but half of them are mongrels."

The warden told how anxious owners had been in touch after pups they believed were legal breeds such as Staffordshire bull terriers grew bigger and bigger.

He was able to confirm, along with USPCA experts, that none were pit bulls.

Mr Devine urged anyone with a pit bull to seize the opportunity rather than face fines of up to £2,000 or even a two-year jail sentence if they go to trial and get convicted.

He said: "If somebody has one, they know what it is and they surrender it to the council, no action will be taken against them."
"Belief" is the acceptance of a hypothesis in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Time to Ban Kitty-Cats Next ??
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 10:35:03 AM »
Both of the animals were put down, although Mr Devine stressed neither appeared vicious.
That about sums up the British law enforcement attitude. "We can't take any chances; it's for your own good, you see.'
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 12:20:26 PM »
If only the British would see the real threat, arms and legs.  Without arms or legs no one could anyone, inlcuding dogs.  Imagine the utopia of an entire island without arms or legs!

police police police police police police police police police police police police

Cats respond with a war cry--France surrenders:  http://www.dennyweb.com/viking_kittens.htm
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 12:34:43 PM »
BSL anyone?

As of July, 2, thirty-eight states had enacted BSL on a statewide level or in certain municipalities, or were considering BSL on one of those levels.27  Some examples of currently active breed-specific municipal ordinances:

(1) Denver, Colorado has prohibited "any person to own, possess, keep, exercise control over, maintain, harbor, transport, or sell within the city any pit bull."28  The ordinance defines "pit bull" as "any dog that is an American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, or any dog displaying the majority of physical traits of any one (1) or more of the above breeds, or any dog exhibiting those distinguishing characteristics which substantially conform to the standards established by the American Kennel Club or United Kennel Club for any of the above breeds."29

(2) Waterford Charter Township, Michigan has prohibited any prospective "possession, maintenance, and harboring" of any "pit bull terriers," and justifies the prohibition by stating that "the township has further concluded that it is in the interest of public health, safety and welfare that the presence of pit bull terriers be limited in this community to only those existing licensed pit bull terrier dogs in order that the threat of this breed will eventually be removed from this community."30

(3) Des Moines, Iowa defines "vicious dog" to include the American Staffordshire Bull Terrier and the Pit Bull Terrier, and imposes stringent confinement, licensure, and control requirements (including provisions for animal seizure and disposal) upon any animals deemed "vicious" under the ordinance.31

(4) North Little Rock, Arkansas has restricted ownership of Rottweilers, Pit Bulls, or Bull Terriers or mixes thereof by implementing a breed-specific licensure fee of $500.00 - far more than license fees for other breeds.32
- http://www.animallaw.info/articles/aruslweiss2001.htm
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 02:13:14 PM »
Well,,,in that case, it's about time you Brits got caught up!  cheesy

Avoid cliches like the plague!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 02:18:40 PM »
Yes, ban kitty-cats now.  Mine can go first.   rolleyes
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 02:35:21 PM »
You can have our little Akasha when you pry her from my cold dead hands.  grin

Then she will scratch you.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007, 02:39:04 PM »
Can I give you my cat?  Don't tell the wife. 

fistful logs off to find the cat and give it a good beating.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife