Author Topic: Scorched all-clad pot  (Read 1400 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Scorched all-clad pot
« on: April 24, 2019, 08:18:20 AM »
My lady friend burnt something in my all clad pot, it’s bad.

I’ve soaked and scrubbed it to no avail.

Any chef/kitchen hacks to get a badly burned pot clean other than pure elbow grease?
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Scorched all-clad pot
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 08:37:10 AM »
Stainless steel All-clad?

Have you tried filling it with water and bringing it to a boil?  That loosens most stuff.  Sometimes I add a bit of liquid dish soap to help out.

You can also use Barkeeper's Friend.  It is like Ajax or Comet, but not as abrasive.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 08:48:02 AM »
Yea, stainless all clad.

I’ve done the boil thing and it didn’t loosen up.

Maybe I’ll do the vinegar soak this afternoon.

She said she would use bar keepers friend tonight, she is a big fan of it and has mentioned it to me before.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 09:31:54 AM »

You can also use Barkeeper's Friend.  It is like Ajax or Comet, but not as abrasive.

This. BKF and a good scrub brush. It will take time.

If this doesn't work then the nuclear option is Comet (old-fashioned original powder, not liquid) and a green ScotchBrite pad. I haven't found any baked on crud yet that could withstand the combo, at least after judicious applications of elbow grease are added.

Brad
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 01:03:37 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 10:04:06 AM »
Fill it with water.

Add about a cup of baking soda (more or less depending on the size of the pot).

Bring to a hard boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for about half an hour.

Let it sit until it's cool, then scrub. It should come out fairly easily.

You can also try the same thing with dishwasher detergent, but that is a LOT more aggressive and can pit stainless if done too long.

You can also give it a good spray and soak with Easy Off (the nasty stuff, not the friendly to everyone and everything version.)
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 10:04:14 AM »
If you're sure it's steel and not aluminum, try oven cleaner.  (lye-based)  After that has had time to do its magic, rinse it well and *then* use BKF.

ETA: Mike's method (posted while I was typing this) will work better if you use washing soda instead of baking soda.
"It's good, though..."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 10:42:10 AM »
I have had good luck using coarse salt and a Scotch bright sponge.  I've used this on anything non-stick (including cast iron) with good results.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 12:58:21 PM »
The vinegar did in two hours what we couldn’t do by scrubbing.

Came back from a quick gravel ride on the bike, looked in the pot and saw the stuff separating from the pot from just soaking.

Hardly any elbow grease at all and it’s all clean.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 02:18:44 PM »
Any staining or discoloration from the vinegar?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2019, 06:28:10 PM »
I'm going to have to try the vinegar because it appears that I scorched the hell out of the pot of chili I made for dinner.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
Re: Re: Scorched all-clad pot
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2019, 07:15:57 PM »
Any staining or discoloration from the vinegar?
No, looks good

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2019, 12:12:05 AM »
Mary’s mind = blown

She couldn’t believe how good the pot looked.

She felt horrible, scrubbing the pot trying to make a dent in the mess she made and never even saw metal after all her work.

I certainly didn’t expect it to work that well myself.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2019, 07:54:50 AM »
Fortunately mine looked a lot worse than it was. An overnight soak resulted in most of the burned stuff coming right off.

slugcatcher

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2019, 09:29:15 AM »
For really caked- on, burned on forever crud, put it in a sealed plastic bag, pour in some ammonia and let it sit over night or a couple of days if needed.  Most of it will wipe right off.  I've done this cast iron, stainless steel, and aluminum with no ill effects.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2019, 12:38:44 PM »
Last Friday I mixed up a batch of rice and ground turkey and put it on the stove for Seren. She was under the weather with stomach distress, and that's a good option for a bland diet to help them through that.

Well, the roofer came, I forgot to set an alarm on my phone and...

My aluminum dutch oven now looks like an asphalt street.

I tried the vinegar soak and boil. No dice. Didn't even touch it.

I'm going to try my baking soda boil this evening.

If that doesn't work, I guess I'm going to break out the BKF and the elbow grease.

I don't want to give up on this pan. It's a great size, and it was my grandmother's.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2019, 01:59:18 PM »
Last Friday I mixed up a batch of rice and ground turkey and put it on the stove for Seren. She was under the weather with stomach distress, and that's a good option for a bland diet to help them through that.

Well, the roofer came, I forgot to set an alarm on my phone and...

My aluminum dutch oven now looks like an asphalt street.

I tried the vinegar soak and boil. No dice. Didn't even touch it.

I'm going to try my baking soda boil this evening.

If that doesn't work, I guess I'm going to break out the BKF and the elbow grease.

I don't want to give up on this pan. It's a great size, and it was my grandmother's.

Don't use lye or washing soda on aluminum, but ammonia might work.  It's stronger than baking soda.

Pour enough in and slosh it around to thoroughly wet the burnt crud, and put a lid on it.  Give it 24 hours.  (I know this is basically what slugcatcher said, I'm agreeing)
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2019, 02:43:00 PM »
Ammonia is the next step.

The problem with strongly alkali cleaners like ammonia is that they can badly discolor aluminum. In this case not a big deal since this is a 70-year-old pot and it's pretty discolored to begin with from all of the use its seen.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2019, 01:42:03 PM »
Well, I got it clean.

I tried the baking soda boil. That didn't touch it.

I tried ammonia. That didn't touch it.

I was at WalMart to see if they have Bar Keeper's friend and I saw... a pumice stick. A stick of actual pumice that is primarily designed for cleaning hard water stains off porcelain (toilets, tubs, and sinks).

Well, about 10 minutes of that and the pan is nice and clean.

But, as can be imagined, it's now sort of textured on the bottom compliments of the coarse nature of the pumice stick.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2019, 01:47:30 PM »
Well, I got it clean.

I tried the baking soda boil. That didn't touch it.

I tried ammonia. That didn't touch it.

I was at WalMart to see if they have Bar Keeper's friend and I saw... a pumice stick. A stick of actual pumice that is primarily designed for cleaning hard water stains off porcelain (toilets, tubs, and sinks).

Well, about 10 minutes of that and the pan is nice and clean.

But, as can be imagined, it's now sort of textured on the bottom compliments of the coarse nature of the pumice stick.

Good to know on the pumice stick. I am going through a few of them right now as all three toilets at the new place have stains. It takes some elbow grease and patience, but they sure take care of stains nothing else was able to touch. I'll make a note of their use on the pots and pans front.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2019, 02:15:55 PM »
I wouldn't use them on anything you really care about, certainly not non stick, and I'd be very hesitant to use them on stainless steel. But on stainless you can break out the lye and go to town.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2019, 02:18:07 PM »
Oh, and if you want to give yourself a boost in cleaning those hard water stains, one trick I've used in the past is Lysol bowl cleaning (highly acidic). You squirt some on the stain, lay in a double layer of toilet tissue over it, and lay on another bead. The TP helps keep the acid against the stain.

Just be sure to flush it to get rid of the acid before you start with the pumice stick.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2019, 07:21:39 PM »
Baack in the days before Lake Michigan water, we used Muratic Acid to get rid of the iron stains in the tub and toilets.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2019, 07:41:11 PM »
Baack in the days before Lake Michigan water, we used Muratic Acid to get rid of the iron stains in the tub and toilets.

So .... now you just use Lake Michigan water?? ??  [popcorn] ;/
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2019, 08:53:16 PM »

I found baking soda worked when nothing else did on the water stains in my tub.  Went through a box and a half, because every time the baking powder changed color it stopped working, each spoonful did only a very limited area.