Author Topic: Low Carb and Keto  (Read 627 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Low Carb and Keto
« on: April 27, 2021, 05:57:44 PM »
Anyone here low carb or do the Keto dietary guidelines?

Some in my family have had success in the past with Atkins which also limits carbs.

I'm in the process of trying to flip the metabolic switch, becoming a fat burner vs a carb burner.

The carb cravings are reminding me of when I quit smoking, relentless.

Currently I'm reading "Eat Rich Live Long" by Ivor Cummins & Jeffry Gerber, a couple of Atkins books are on the bookshelf for reference also.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: Low Carb and Keto
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 07:01:56 PM »
While you are trying to get over the sugars, just allow yourself unlimited bacon. That works.
Blog under construction

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 07:31:19 PM »
While you are trying to get over the sugars, just allow yourself unlimited bacon. That works.

Went to Cosco today and loaded up  :laugh:

Also picked up a lot of different nuts.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 07:58:14 PM »
How many nuts fit in your car?
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 08:13:13 PM »
I dropped 100lbs from June to Jan 2019.  Gained 30 back stuck at home in 2020.  Going back on and trying not to cheat!  I allowed myself 40g of carbs.  Carb Manager is a great free app.

Docs say the Keto is unhealthy, but being a 55yo fat bastard is more unhealthy.  I won't stay keto, but will go low card Mediterranean when I get to my goal.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 07:42:43 PM by Big Hairy Bee »

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 08:29:27 PM »
I dropped 100lbs from June to July in 2019.  Gained 30 back stuck at home in 2020.  Going back on and trying not to cheat!  I allowed myself 40g of carbs.  Carb Manager is a great free app.

Docs say the Keto is unhealthy, but being a 55yo fat bastard is more unhealthy.  I won't stay keto, but will go low carb Mediterranean when I get to my goal.

Great job!

The plan is to lose the belly and then transition into eating low carb.  I'm probably only about 20lbs away from my best weight.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2021, 08:30:38 PM »
How many nuts fit in your car?

I've only had four of us squeezed in there  :laugh:

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2021, 09:43:08 PM »
Anyone here low carb or do the Keto dietary guidelines?

Some in my family have had success in the past with Atkins which also limits carbs.

I'm in the process of trying to flip the metabolic switch, becoming a fat burner vs a carb burner.

The carb cravings are reminding me of when I quit smoking, relentless.

Currently I'm reading "Eat Rich Live Long" by Ivor Cummins & Jeffry Gerber, a couple of Atkins books are on the bookshelf for reference also.

a few yrs ago i was serious wheat belly, lost 70 lbs in one yr.
I try to eat low carb, definetly no wheat, its not hard after a while - i believe its very healthy, plus bacon/steak/eggs all you like
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2021, 12:27:36 PM »
This morning I took a look at the Mediterranean Diet Food Pyramid.

I think I'll probably be avoiding carbohydrates and consuming more fat than the Med Diet suggests. Carbs are on the foundation of the pyramid and I can see trouble ahead for me allowing that many carbs.

The moderation in portions and lower calorie philosophy of the diet is something to emulate though.

We'll see how this works out.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2021, 02:09:47 PM »
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 08:13:13 PM »
ReplyQuote
I dropped 100lbs from June to July in 2019

Do you mean 100lb in one year? Or one month?

I did atkins in the past and it worked. I also did calorie restriction and it worked. Both of them require special diet accomodations which became a lot harder when I added kids and outsourced primary grocery shopping to my wife. Also with work travel, it's hard to maintain a certain diet.

What I need is some type of diet which doesn't require any specific dietary modification. Tiny portions can work, but in practice I have a hard time eating tiny portions. What I'm trying now is intermittent fasting where I only eat from 4PM to 8PM. Basically I don't eat breakfast or lunch at all, but I eat a normal portion of whatever is on the menu for dinner. Even if that's 5 guys burger or whatever. I'm on week 3 and I lost 15 pounds which I think is a good pace.

The downside is I'm running on empty most of the time, but all other diets usually have some kind of satiation problem too, plus the need to arrange special food. This way, I don't have to give up any foods at all, plus I actually save time from skipping means and not having to prep/cook. And instead of spending more on "healthy" food, I saved money by eating less. Which is how it should be. It always bothered me to spend more to eat less. An exception is when I go to fast food, i will buy a more expensive salad, but I actually like those better anyway.

My dad has had remarkable results with extreme whole-food-plant-only diet. Meaning not even any oil is allowed. The benefit seems to be he can absolutely eat as much as he wants. The downside is he has to eat constantly and the meal prep and shopping is like a second job.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2021, 02:31:31 PM »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2021, 07:42:00 PM »
Do you mean 100lb in one year? Or one month?

Neither. Made a typo. From June to January. I’ll go edit. I also did the intermittent fasting from 6pm to 10am. Drank lots of water. Being a divorced empty nester made it easier for me.