Author Topic: Wow. Just ... wow. O_O  (Read 9620 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Wow. Just ... wow. O_O
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2011, 11:10:34 AM »
Master Sergeant First Class? Man, must be one of those secret ranks only Force Recon snipers can get...  ;/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Marine_Corps_rank_insignia

No we can get it in the Army also.  But I haven't seen anyone with that rank in my 16+ years. :laugh:
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Lanius

• Excubitor
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2011, 12:13:12 PM »
Yeah. The medals will be easy. One just needs to be in a occupied country, in the resistance and then loot the corpse of someone foolish enough to carry medals on patrol. I mean, if you kill a medal recipient and get away successfully, I suppose you have some right to the medals...

Do soldiers sometimes do that?

Heh.. I think I'd enjoy war just for the looting. I mean, it's a great day if you can both kill someone you don't like, get away with it and then appropriate his stuff and maybe troll his dead relatives over the internet with messages like..
"well, we're sorry to inform you that your son Xian was fortunately in the right place at the wrong time. So, please suggest to your local party representative that withdrawing from X may be advisable. The good thing was his rifle, night vision gear and other stuff will be put to good use. Cheers!"
These things would possibly make up for the risk of getting shot dead, I guess.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2011, 12:39:58 PM »
Military decorations are readily available from online/mail-order retailers, and in surplus or Army/Navy stores.

http://www.usamilitarymedals.com/army-fullsize-skill-qualification-badges-combat-infantry-badges-c-2069_1201_1001.html
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2011, 12:59:26 PM »
Yeah. The medals will be easy. One just needs to be in a occupied country, in the resistance and then loot the corpse of someone foolish enough to carry medals on patrol. I mean, if you kill a medal recipient and get away successfully, I suppose you have some right to the medals...

Heh.. I think I'd enjoy war just for the looting. I mean, it's a great day if you can both kill someone you don't like, get away with it and then appropriate his stuff and maybe troll his dead relatives over the internet with messages like..
"well, we're sorry to inform you that your son Xian was fortunately in the right place at the wrong time. So, please suggest to your local party representative that withdrawing from X may be advisable. The good thing was his rifle, night vision gear and other stuff will be put to good use. Cheers!"

Really?  =|

I would think that trolling the dead's relatives over the Internet is just somehow... so impersonal. Kind of cowardly, actually.

Wouldn't going there in person, and beating them with their dead loved one's detached limbs make a bigger impression? After that, you'd probably want to execute the whole family, just to prevent any chance of reprisals. Although you'd have to be all "artful" about it. I dunno... maybe executing them one a day, starting with the youngest up to the oldest, so each family member in turn has some time to think about their loss before it's their turn.

Lots of taunting and mock executions with empty chambers so you can watch them flinch would be good too.
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2011, 01:02:18 PM »
Would there be medals for this?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2011, 01:07:24 PM »

No. You just keep their ears on a string.
I promise not to duck.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2011, 01:42:48 PM »
Lanius....

Get help  =|
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2011, 01:44:00 PM »

If there was, you could rest assured that E-4 to E-1 Androsky (the subject of the orignal post) would be wearing them.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2011, 03:02:46 PM »
Lanius....

Get help  =|

Is there any for his kind? =D
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Lanius

• Excubitor
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2011, 04:09:54 PM »
I would think that trolling the dead's relatives over the Internet is just somehow... so impersonal. Kind of cowardly, actually.
Not really. It'd be outrageous, even if it were polite and not trolling, and it'd probably make the enemy fight harder. So perhaps counterproductive, and most likely it'd be banned by the CO.

Wouldn't going there in person, and beating them with their dead loved one's detached limbs make a bigger impression? After that, you'd probably want to execute the whole family, just to prevent any chance of reprisals.
You know, there's a difference between homicidal insanity and psychological warfare. Killing civilians is bad PR. Just ask Bin Laden. The guys who blew up the London financial district are not in prison, most likely, and still alive.

IMO, the only ethical terrorism is the one targetting only active duty military personnel or actual military installations or craft.  That means that the only ethical thing the Al-Qaeda ever did was to blow up USS Cole and maybe IED attacks against US troops in Iraq. Can't disagree with these methods.. but that doesn't change the fact that they're a bunch of religious loonies of the first order who should all eventually be caught and if they won't cooperate get concrete shoes and be sent to swim in the Atlantic..

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2011, 04:16:24 PM »
There is no such thing as ethical terrorism.  If you are targeting active duty military you are involved in warfare.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2011, 04:57:09 PM »
Sorry Lianus, it's probably not fair to make fun of you in your third language. Although "fair" ≠ "amusing".  =D

Some people miss the existence, must less the intent behind hyperbole in their own native language at times.
I promise not to duck.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2011, 04:59:08 PM »
there's a difference between homicidal insanity and psychological warfare.

Yes, please do lecture us on insanity.  [popcorn]
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Lanius

• Excubitor
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2011, 05:21:29 PM »
Insanity?

I'm not insane.. I'm just intense ..   ;)

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2011, 06:37:13 PM »
Apparently the nimrod in question did actually serve at one time ...

http://usafonlineoped.blogspot.com/2011/06/i-once-wrote-story-on-here-about-stolen.html

Also, Androsky served in the the AF from 1999-2006, in the 41st Airlift Squadron and was discharged as an E-4. 

It would appear, then, that he is arithmetically challenged, 'cause I don't think AF E-4s get that many stripes.

Interesting choice of costume. I think the desert boots (bloused) with the Class As were a nice touch.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2011, 11:23:20 PM »
Targeting soldiers is warfare.....targeting soldiers' families is terrorism....psychological or not....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2011, 07:19:14 AM »

Couple of points here Lanius:

1. Looting is illegal, and Soldiers don't do that.
2. Leave the Psych war to the professionals. They will be both more effective, and less creepy.
3. Soldiers in a profesional military do not carry on themselves, in combat, items that would allow the enemy to ID and/or contact their family.
4. Even in war, some would say especially in war, there are behaviors that one does not engage in, both because they comprimise your own humanity and Honor, and because it makes an enemy that much harder to live with after the war.  Purposefully taunting the civilian relitives of the dead is one of those behaviors.

Also I feel I should add that, while we're pretty easy going here, we do try hard to be a polite[/] society first and formost and posts like the one above, and some others you've made really have no place in polite society.  I acknowledge that you're young and the internet gives you the ability to push the limits on some of your ideas, but you might want to put a little more thought into some of them before you put them out there.

Lanius

• Excubitor
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2011, 09:34:36 AM »
1. Looting is illegal, and Soldiers don't do that.
Really. In WWII, it was illegal too? For I remember looting and war trophies from all books I've read on WWII. Enlisted men complaining how officers always looted more, infantry complaining that only tankers can really loot because they can carry lots more stuff with them, etc etc.

And don't let me mention the Red Army. They stole everything that wasn't buried under a midden.
As for looting, I'm never going to be a part of a military, due to numerous issues I have with that kind of organisation, and paramilitary organisations often need looted weaponry and kit in order to function.

2. Leave the Psych war to the professionals. They will be both more effective, and less creepy.
Let me quote General George S.Patton on that.

“We’ll win this war, but we’ll win it only by fighting and by showing the Germans that we’ve got more guts than they have; or ever will have. We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-b*tches, we’re going to rip out their living Godd*mned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks. We’re going to murder those lousy Hun c*cksuckers by the bushel-f*cking-basket. War is a bloody, killing business. You’ve got to spill their blood, or they will spill yours. Rip them up the belly.
So, he advocated terrorist tactics. No the noble idea of war as a sort of sport. Ends justifies the means kind of war. And he was one of the most successful US generals ever.

3. Soldiers in a profesional military do not carry on themselves, in combat, items that would allow the enemy to ID and/or contact their family.
Guerilla warfare is about taking them unaware.

and some others you've made really have no place in polite society
Point taken. I'll try to be more polite.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2011, 10:10:34 AM »
So, he advocated terrorist tactics. No the noble idea of war as a sort of sport. Ends justifies the means kind of war. And he was one of the most successful US generals ever.

??? It was a pep talk. Nobody was using viscera as a lubricant.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2011, 10:11:55 AM »
Really. In WWII, it was illegal too? For I remember looting and war trophies from all books I've read on WWII. Enlisted men complaining how officers always looted more, infantry complaining that only tankers can really loot because they can carry lots more stuff with them, etc etc.

And don't let me mention the Red Army. They stole everything that wasn't buried under a midden.
As for looting, I'm never going to be a part of a military, due to numerous issues I have with that kind of organisation, and paramilitary organisations often need looted weaponry and kit in order to function.

Yes, really.  I'm not going to go into the intracasies of batllefield capture vs. looting, or how those regs have changed since WWII, but looting is, and was then, illegal.  I've helped prosecute soldiers for it.  And no, Paramilitary orginizations buy their own gear.  You're planning to be part of a guerilla orginization, which is another discussion.

bunch of hyperbole that was taken (I think) from the movie, not the man.

No, he didn't.  He advocated total commitment, but he never advocated breaking the laws of war.  The quote you put forth is a motivational speech, and in context is not to be taken litterally.  As far as the whole "War for Sport" idea; I've been to wars, plural, and trust me, those of us actually doing it don't think it's a game or sport.  But being deadly serious about the conduct of the war does not relieve you from the responsability to remember you're humanity, and your opponents.  In fact if anything, it increases the need to be strictly vigilant to the idea's of Honor and that there are things you just don't do.  I have a tattoo that reads:
And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you
It's there to remind me about the nature of evil, and some of the things I've done.  The first part of that quote is just as important:
Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one yourself,

Guerilla warfare is about taking them unaware.
Given your stated intolerance of the military, and you're location in Eastern Europe, I understand your being unfamiliar with the operations of a Professional Military, but by combat, I meant anywhere in the zone they can be attacked.

Also, that's not actually what guerilla warfare is about.

Point taken. I'll try to be more polite.

Try harder:
http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=30240.msg595332#msg595332