Author Topic: Wow! The incredible mind of man. We are gods!  (Read 1545 times)

Stand_watie

• friend
Wow! The incredible mind of man. We are gods!
« on: April 28, 2007, 08:28:06 PM »
One of those stories that just over(under?)whelms me in comparing how advanced mankind has become in relation to G-d (or mother nature or random chance if you're irreligious).

A hundred years of applying man's most brilliant intellect to computing, and we are now capable, with a "supercomputer", of "simulating"  1/2 the brain of a mouse!

Give us another 100 years! By golly, we'll simulate 1/4 the brain of a cat!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6600965.stm

Mouse brain simulated on computer 

It takes a supercomputer to mimic a mouse brain
US researchers have simulated half a virtual mouse brain on a supercomputer...
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Pew pew pew

• friend
  • Hello!
Re: Wow! The incredible mind of man. We are gods!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 09:45:38 PM »
To be fair, natural selection's had a few billion years to work with. Half a mouse brain after foolin' around with computers for less than a century is respectable.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 09:59:56 PM »
"I am not God, but I am a god." Groundhog Day

Vile Nylons

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 05:21:18 AM »
I wonder how they could quantify the totality of what goes on in the brain of a mouse to be able to say that they have matched half of it.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 07:01:23 AM »
By golly, we'll simulate 1/4 the brain of a cat!

There's an oxymoron in there.   smiley
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Laurent du Var

• friends
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 12:33:19 AM »
To be fair, natural selection's had a few billion years to work with. Half a mouse brain after foolin' around with computers for less than a century is respectable.

No, No, No - it was only 6000 years and not natural but - divine ! grin
Vada a bordo, Cazzo!

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 06:56:02 AM »
1/2 the brain of a mouse is far great capacity than 2/3s of Congress.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 07:01:48 AM »
I wonder how they could quantify the totality of what goes on in the brain of a mouse to be able to say that they have matched half of it.

I think they go neurons vs. transistors, by the numbers.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 12:41:37 PM »

No, No, No - it was only 6000 years and not natural but - divine ! grin
Actually, the first two verses of Genesis are separate events and not consecutive (time wise).  ~6000 years ago was a restoration of life on Earth, not the beginning of life.  grin
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 05:03:26 PM »
Actually, the first two verses of Genesis are separate events and not consecutive (time wise).  ~6000 years ago was a restoration of life on Earth, not the beginning of life.

I'm sure glad you cleared that one up.  That's been bothering me since, um - oh way back when ... what were we talking about Huh?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2007, 06:50:56 AM »
Yup. I love telling people about how powerful the human brain is, in the pub. Not everyone seems to realise just how amazing it is, and what it is capable of.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2007, 11:10:46 PM »
Reminds me of a joke  grin

Man develops the ability to create life from the dirt.  Man speaks to God: "God, I have risen to your equal.  I can create life from mere dirt and therefore am a god myself!"  God answers "Prove it to me."  As Man begins to collect dirt with which to make life, God speaks again: "Hey, you! Get your own dirt!"
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2007, 12:04:06 AM »
Talking of creating life, I am really nostalgic for the TV show 'Now and Again'. I wish that they had not cancelled that show. Sad
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2007, 07:07:18 AM »
Reminds me of a joke  grin

Man develops the ability to create life from the dirt.  Man speaks to God: "God, I have risen to your equal.  I can create life from mere dirt and therefore am a god myself!"  God answers "Prove it to me."  As Man begins to collect dirt with which to make life, God speaks again: "Hey, you! Get your own dirt!"

That's good.  grin
Andy