Author Topic: Wow, SoCal is getting toasted...  (Read 4778 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Wow, SoCal is getting toasted...
« on: October 22, 2007, 06:13:26 AM »
This isn't the sort of news headline pic you see often...

80mph gusts of hot winds? That can't be helpful.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Wow, SoCal is getting toasted...
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 06:14:01 AM »
It's George Bush's fault.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 06:16:48 AM »
I suspect arson is involved in some of these cases.  It's a new form of terrorism.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 06:25:46 AM »
I suspect arson is involved in some of these cases.  It's a new form of terrorism.

I'm actually starting to wonder, since apparently a bunch of unrelated fires in the area started in the middle of the night and are now spreading. They were too far for embers. Someone driving around with some road flares could ignite the whole area!

Euclidean

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 06:27:43 AM »
It's George Bush's fault.

That made me laugh.  I swear to Don Pohanan, people blame everything on George Bush that has nothing to do with George Bush.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 06:29:44 AM »
Actually, I'm kind of worried about these fires. A good firiend of mine lives in San Diego. So far the evacuation zone is considerably north of him.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 06:34:00 AM »
Dramatic picture of a firefighter. Those look like eyes of flame staring at him. Guy is being all "Gandalf vs the Balrog" at it.

And I have nothing but respect for these guys. The whole street of houses is on fire, and they're still trying. It looks like hell on earth.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 06:37:03 AM »
We watched a training video that had a lot of aerial views of neighborhoods in California.  I could not believe the places where houses and even apartments had been built - down in box canyons or up on ridges and cliffs with extremely limited access/egress, no safety zones, and absolutely no clearance between structures and vegetation.  shocked
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

onions!

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 06:49:11 AM »
Doesn't RileyMC live in San Diego?& Dasmi too?
Toasted,I'd rather hope not.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 07:05:53 AM »
I really liked the Tecate/Dulzura area. It's rather remote, but not terribly far from San Diego.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

The Viking

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 07:12:47 AM »
Doesn't RileyMC live in San Diego?& Dasmi too?
Toasted,I'd rather hope not.
Both has logged in today.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 07:43:37 AM »

The Santa Ana winds happen every year.

I guess I'd have more sympathy if these people didn't do it to themselves, year after year.  It's a known wildfire zone--hell, the flora in the area uses fire as part of its reproduction cycle!  If they'd build with stone and concrete instead of virgin redwood, they wouldn't be in it this deep.

Idiots.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2007, 08:28:14 AM »

The Santa Ana winds happen every year.

I guess I'd have more sympathy if these people didn't do it to themselves, year after year.  It's a known wildfire zone--hell, the flora in the area uses fire as part of its reproduction cycle!  If they'd build with stone and concrete instead of virgin redwood, they wouldn't be in it this deep.

Idiots.

Or at least cut a fire barrier around their property. True the flora needs fire to reproduce/reestablish itself.

-C

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2007, 08:38:43 AM »
Yes, the *expletive deleted*it is hitting the fan here in San Diego.  100,000 acres burned, 250,000 evacuees at this point. 
My home and office are currently safe, but two of my clinics are threatened.  It's not good.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2007, 08:39:53 AM »
I really liked the Tecate/Dulzura area. It's rather remote, but not terribly far from San Diego.

That area is on fire, or will be on fire shortly.  Mandatory evac right now.  It is a beautiful part of the county.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2007, 08:49:01 AM »
The MSM always acts surprised @
Hurricane season
California earthquakes, fires or mudslides, and Santa Ana winds
Wildfires in the West
Summer heatwaves, even when they don't set records (hey, wasn't it 95* last year too?)
Tornados in the Midwest
Heavy snowstorms in the north.

Some of the building in Calif boggles the mind.  Places that are prone to fires are built on.  Fire roars through, homes are saved by heroic firefighters, then the next year the scorched earth gets rained on and then lets go.  Hmmmm.  Its like building a home on Topsail beach in NC and being surprised when you lose it in a Hurricane.
 rolleyes

Burn, California, burn!

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2007, 09:09:26 AM »
This all is why I live in New England. A snowstorm isn't so bad. You just get bored, then dig out, or if you live in a townhouse thing as I do, the staff digs out.  smiley

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2007, 09:10:38 AM »
I was in Boulder, CO all weekend.  Odd to step on a plane in the snow and 34 degrees, and step off in 85 degrees, smoke, and fire.

Paddy

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2007, 09:54:11 AM »
I'm in San Luis Obispo County, halfway between LA & SF, 12 miles from the coast, so I'm well north of San Diego.  Looking south from the City of SLO, you can see considerable smoke from the Santa Barbara County fire, though.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2007, 10:47:35 AM »
News says they're preparing residents of Solana Beach, on the coast, to evac. And also clearing out a hospital. That it might go all the way to the shore...

wow.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2007, 10:49:03 AM »
Well, my medical director just ordered us out of the office.  The location I work at is currently still safe, but there's talk of closing the I-8, which is the only way in our out of this area.  She wants us gone just in case.  I'm pulling my backup drives and tapes, and hitting the bricks.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2007, 10:55:47 AM »
Well, my medical director just ordered us out of the office.  The location I work at is currently still safe, but there's talk of closing the I-8, which is the only way in our out of this area.  She wants us gone just in case.  I'm pulling my backup drives and tapes, and hitting the bricks.

News also said Pomerado Hospital is being evacuated. Be safe.

Rocketman56

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2007, 11:03:54 AM »
Yes, my daughter lives in Escondido.. (Senior in HS..)  They've been ordered out..

A colleague lives in Tierra Santa, they just got ordered out..

Another colleague lives near the San Marcos/Carlsbad border.. (Just west of Harmony
Grove area..)  They are packed and ready to roll..

My wife's parents used to own a house in San Marcos, West of CSU-San Marcos..
It's survived the last two attempts from the Harmony Grove area, not sure about this one..
(It's stucco with a tile roof, but.....)

I lived in West Escondido (think Home Depot, which went up a year or so before I left.. used
to be a dairy farm..)  for 17 years..  Even that area is threatened coming up out of Lake
Hodges..  I think this is going to be even bigger than the Cedar fire 4 years ago..
(More homes to burn now, too.. Reason I left! Too many people!)

ETA: My daughter was born at Pomerado.. This isn't good!
Steve
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
Robert A. Heinlein

Ad astra per aspera
"through the thorns to the stars"

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2007, 11:07:32 AM »
Fire officials said it's already worse than the Cedar fire, and it's not even remotely close to controlled in any way. Wind is too strong...and from the NE. So the fire is moving towards the coast, lots quicker than they thought it would.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2007, 11:40:13 AM »
All they need now is a tsunami to put out the fires Wink
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin