Author Topic: Repairing clearcoat  (Read 1315 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Repairing clearcoat
« on: December 15, 2017, 08:49:43 AM »
I just noticed that the clearcoat on the bumper of my Subaru is bubbling and peeling.

Is there any way to fix this without having to recoat the entire bumper? I don't need it to be perfect, I just want to protect the paint.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
Re: Repairing clearcoat
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 08:58:10 AM »
Not really.

It's loosing adhesion with the paint.  You could try pull off the bad parts, sand down and just respray the spots that peeled, but it's look like hammered dog crap, and the OEM clear coat left on there will continue to bubble and peel.

The correct fix is to pull the bumper cover, sand all the paint/clearcoat that's adhesion had failed off, then respray.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 09:16:52 AM »
Yeah, I was afraid of that.

I found some stuff on line that, essentially, gives it a 50/50 chance of working.

I'm probably going to give it a try anyway because I'm not going to go to the expense of doing the whole bumper cover.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 10:39:58 AM »
^^^Would you please post the name of the product you are going to try?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 10:49:41 AM »
This isn't going to happen until spring. I'll be doing a lot more research into it before I pick something.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 11:09:22 AM »
Needs a good protective coat of mud.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 11:18:29 AM »
Yeah, I think if clearcoat goes, you're pretty much screwed. There may be newer/better repair products out there now, but the last time I had to deal with it was around 1990, and nothing I tried worked. 1986 Jeep Comanche. If you look at any of them (and Cherokees) from around 1986-88 model years, pretty much every one of them has a blotched hood and top from a crummy factory application.

My Comanche ended up being my beater truck that I kept for around 16 years, so  I didn't care too much, but it would be a bummer on your primary ride with repainting being your only option. I guess the bright side is that it's the rear bumper versus a more visible area.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 11:27:09 AM »
No, it's the front bumper, right up against the grill.

And yeah, I was a bit bummed to see that, as I'm intending on keeping this on the road for a good number of years before I even consider a replacement. I'm looking at it getting me into my 60s at least.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 11:37:35 AM »
No, it's the front bumper, right up against the grill.

And yeah, I was a bit bummed to see that, as I'm intending on keeping this on the road for a good number of years before I even consider a replacement. I'm looking at it getting me into my 60s at least.

Bummer, didn't catch that. Depending on the configuration of your front bumper, maybe it wouldn't cost too much to eventually just repaint it. If it doesn't "blend in" to the body, it might not have to exactly color match. If so, you might be able to find a buddy with a spray gun and a little skill and just pay for the paint and a six pack of beer. :)

I wouldn't suggest that on the main body, but again, depending on bumper configuration, it might be an option if whatever you get to repair it doesn't work. I have no idea how much it would cost to professionally paint a bumper (or front end if it's all one unit), but I'm imagining it's not cheap these days.

Thread veer - does anyone else remember the Earl Scheib "I'll paint any car for $99.95" ads?  :lol:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2017, 11:53:33 AM »
.....  Thread veer - does anyone else remember the Earl Scheib "I'll paint any car for $99.95" ads?  :lol:

Yea I remember.  Went to one of his places with my Chevy in the mid 70s and the manager was so rude I went elsewhere and gladly paid more. :mad:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2017, 12:03:20 PM »
Lower your deductible and drive at dusk and dawn, Bambi ought to get you a new bumper. I got one, just missed the deductible part.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2017, 12:31:55 PM »
"If it doesn't "blend in" to the body"

It blends.

Had I noticed it last year I would have had it repainted when I had it in for the collision repair after that old guy crunched my rear bumper.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2017, 12:50:46 PM »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2017, 01:22:35 PM »

Thread veer - does anyone else remember the Earl Scheib "I'll paint any car for $99.95" ads?  :lol:

Yeah.

I had my 1988 Jeep Cherokee repainted by Earl Scheib because the factory clearcoat looked like leprosy. The repaint looked pretty good -- for about a year. Then it lost all gloss and went flat. I still have that Cherokee, and in the spring I think I'll repaint it from rattle cans. I'm at 287,000 miles and I'd like to see if I can make it to 300,000 before I retire "Old Faithful."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2017, 02:22:08 PM »
Needs a good protective coat of mud.

Damned mind reader.

I'm not sure... maybe it'll take hypnotic regression, but I think I remember those Earl Sheib ads for $25.00 back in NY.  May be a different company, though.

That was when $25.00 was $25.00 and Terry was Terry.

Would've been mid to late '50s....?

Had that clearcoat problem with my 240Z.  My (pre-'net) research indicated the only solution was a full paint job.

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2017, 02:27:34 PM »
Damned mind reader.

I'm not sure... maybe it'll take hypnotic regression, but I think I remember those Earl Sheib ads for $25.00 back in NY.  May be a different company, though.

That was when $25.00 was $25.00 and Terry was Terry.

Would've been mid to late '50s....?

Terry, 230RN

I think I might remember "$39.95" from when I was a kid in the single digits. From what I remember, his ads, and Cal Worthington's ads (California used car dealer), showed up during my Saturday morning cartoons.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2017, 02:42:03 PM »
I think I might remember "$39.95" from when I was a kid in the single digits.
That's what I remember.  I had my 1960 Thunderbird painted there after it got hit in a  parking lot.  It ended up costing me about $99.00 and I had to go have the paint (red) custom blended.  Seems like for $39.95 you could only get white or baby blue.  Crappy prep and paint job, it started coming off about the third time I washed it  This was about 1970.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2017, 03:36:44 PM »
A friend of mine used a paint roller on his ancient truck.  Didn't look all that bad from 20-30 feet away.

Didn't look all that good, either, but at least it covered the rust OK.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2017, 03:39:27 PM »
I think I might remember "$39.95" from when I was a kid in the single digits. From what I remember, his ads, and Cal Worthington's ads (California used car dealer), showed up during my Saturday morning cartoons.

"Come see Cal Worthington and his dog Spot!"

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2017, 06:13:05 PM »
As to Mike's problem: If you have an Automotive paint shop near you, the one here, D&S Paint, can scan your car and custom make aerosol cans to match.  Not as cheap as Rustoleum, I'm sure, but you could remove the bumper and sand it down, rattle can it and then clear coat it.  Has to be cheaper than a body shop.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2017, 06:14:18 PM »

That's him!  :lol:

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2017, 06:18:36 PM »

Cal would eat a bug!!! Cal would stand on his head!!!

He ruled the late night movies on the local stations all over SoCal back in the day of 3 network channels and maybe a couple of UHF channels. :)

bob