Author Topic: Train derailment onto I-5 near Tacoma results in fatalities  (Read 2697 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Train derailment onto I-5 near Tacoma results in fatalities
« on: December 18, 2017, 12:50:58 PM »
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/12/18/571654675/amtrak-train-derails-on-overpass-in-washington-causing-multiple-fatalities?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=news

http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/article190312794.html

Washington state just cut the ribbon on a new stretch of train tracks designed to alleviate rail congestion in the Tacoma area.  On the very first trip from Tacoma to Portland, the train derailed on a bridge over I-5 near JBLM with at least two cars falling onto the freeway and has completely blocked southbound I-5.  Multiple fatalities (number unknown) reported on the train so far.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Train derailment onto I-5 near Tacoma results in fatalities
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 01:04:17 PM »
I wonder how fast it was going? Isn't it supposed to be a "high speed"* rail line?

Bob

*knowing US high speed is nothing like high speed in other countries.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 01:09:36 PM »
First off, condolences to the families of the dead.

If high speed rail, I'll be interested to see what the investigation finds and if there were, it being new, any construction defects. I'll assume WA built for similar reasons to why CA is building theirs. I just saw CA is already coming in at way over the original estimates for being way over budget. I can't help but think that might end up causing some construction shortcuts that lead to something similar on that train's first runs.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 01:28:23 PM »
On-scene private social media feeds seem to indicate the train struck a vehicle. One report says a truck, but not what kind.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 01:29:50 PM »
The photos on NPR show that the bridge is old construction.  I wonder how old the tracks are?

If this was the inaugural run, did they not do any proving runs?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 01:40:24 PM »
Can you imagine the mess if that had been a freight train with a bunch of tank cars carrying hazardous chemicals and fuels?
Not to discount the fatalities, but the folks in that area may have dodged a large caliber bullet with that one.  That corridor is pretty heavily populated now, unlike thirty years ago.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 09:40:04 PM »
. . . On the very first trip from Tacoma to Portland, the train derailed . . .
Disaster on the very first trip? 

Don't tell me the train was built in a Harland and Wolff facility . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 09:50:02 PM »
On-scene private social media feeds seem to indicate the train struck a vehicle. One report says a truck, but not what kind.

Brad

There were definitely vehicles hit by the train after it jumped the tracks, including IIRC at least 1 semi-truck.  Heard some rumors the train an "obstruction" on the tracks, but nothing specifying what that obstruction was.
Formerly sumpnz

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 10:12:39 PM »
Disaster on the very first trip? 

Don't tell me the train was built in a Harland and Wolff facility . . .
http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2017/12/hiding-something-antifa-website-deletes-article-sabotaging-train-tracks-concrete-washington-state-derailment/

There's rumors that Antifa might have done it, placing an obstruction.  Why, I don't know.  Newsweek is saying its false.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 11:06:15 PM »
It's starting to sound to me like the conductor took a curve a bit too fast. From what the news has been saying, the track goes from an ~80 mph straightway into a 30mph turn just before the bridge, and there's no active Positive Train Control system on that track.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2017, 11:14:21 PM »
Unlikely an object on the track. The locomotive and the first two or three cars stayed on the track -- it was the tail end of the train that got derailed.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2017, 11:21:38 PM »
That was the back engine and car or two still more or less on the track.  Front engine was off the track if not on the road.
Formerly sumpnz

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2017, 12:26:30 AM »
In the local media, some of the rail transportation experts are saying that preliminary indications are the train took the curve too fast.  That curve is marked at 30 MPH, and the train was going almost 80 MPH before arriving at that curve.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2017, 05:32:03 AM »
In the local media, some of the rail transportation experts are saying that preliminary indications are the train took the curve too fast.  That curve is marked at 30 MPH, and the train was going almost 80 MPH before arriving at that curve.

NTSB spokesman said the same thing.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2017, 07:47:21 AM »
Is this the NRA's fault or does Trump get the blame?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2017, 07:52:40 AM »
Is this the NRA's fault or does Trump get the blame?

Why not both?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2017, 09:06:12 AM »
It may not be NRA's fault, but it's a perfect example of why we need assault weapon control.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2017, 09:07:23 AM »
"There's rumors that Antifa might have done it, placing an obstruction.  Why, I don't know."

Why?

Because fighting fascism, of course!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2017, 09:55:36 AM »
It's starting to sound to me like the conductor took a curve a bit too fast. From what the news has been saying, the track goes from an ~80 mph straightway into a 30mph turn just before the bridge, and there's no active Positive Train Control system on that track.

It turns out there IS Positive Train Control on that route -- it was installed as part of the upgrades to the route. But ... it wasn't in use, they were still "testing" it. Given all the recent train crashes and the federal mandate for PTC, wouldn't you think they would have done the testing before they opened the route and put it into regular service? I think a couple of people need to lose their jobs over this.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/transportation/curve-where-amtrak-train-derailed-in-washington-has-speed-limit-of-30-mph/
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2017, 12:09:03 PM »
It turns out there IS Positive Train Control on that route -- it was installed as part of the upgrades to the route. But ... it wasn't in use, they were still "testing" it. Given all the recent train crashes and the federal mandate for PTC, wouldn't you think they would have done the testing before they opened the route and put it into regular service? I think a couple of people need to lose their jobs over this.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/transportation/curve-where-amtrak-train-derailed-in-washington-has-speed-limit-of-30-mph/

You never heard of beta testers? [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2017, 05:53:28 PM »

Indeed.  This is a bit like releasing a car today with the airbags disconnected. 

And really, you have like 2 controls on a train.  How hard is it to remember to slow down for these curves?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2017, 06:21:44 PM »
The latest local scuttlebutt is that the NTSB is investigating if the train engineers were 'distracted', which is apparently a code word for someone texting or looking at a smartphone while operating the vehicle.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2017, 07:42:56 PM »
The latest local scuttlebutt is that the NTSB is investigating if the train engineers were 'distracted', which is apparently a code word for someone texting or looking at a smartphone while operating the vehicle.

Probably were.  That has to be a boring job.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2017, 09:27:44 PM »
Okay, given GPS technology and some version of Google Maps for train tracks, why doesn't excessive in the wrong area not only alert the engineer, but the central monitoring people who might be in contact with the train engineer?  Hell, make the engineers put an app on their phones that will interrupt anything they are doing.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2017, 09:52:19 PM »
Probably were.  That has to be a boring job.

Talking from experience?  :police:  :laugh:

ETA: I also caught the first part of the press conference with Amtrac's president. He said that they were "on track" to get the PTC system deployed in that area before the federal deadline.

Probably wasn't the best turn of phrase he could have used...
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth