Author Topic: On-line address lookup?  (Read 860 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
On-line address lookup?
« on: December 19, 2017, 12:47:43 PM »
Until fairly recently, there were several sites that allowed us to look up an address and telephone number for almost anyone. These were sites such as switchboard.com and 411.com. Recently, they've changed -- they no longer spit out an address and telephone number -- they now ONLY offer to give you access to the information for a fee.

Are there any sites out there that still allow finding a telephone number and/or an address without charging a fee or requiring a subscription?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: On-line address lookup?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 01:21:14 PM »
If you have a name and city/state whitepages.com can get that for you. I also use Spokeo.com but I don't remember what it gives for free. Anywho will give you an address. Very few will give a phone number without a fee.

bob

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 01:40:34 PM »
I think with more and more people going away from landlines you're going to see less and less of this.

Do you want your home address easily found on the web?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 02:02:32 PM »
If they are a homeowner most counties have a Central Appraisal District web site that will search by name.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 02:58:08 PM »
If they are a homeowner most counties have a Central Appraisal District web site that will search by name.

Brad

Depending on the state, it might even be statewide. Or you might have to go in by district. If it's New York City, just give up now. (Joking... sort of.)

As noted, White Pages is generally your best bet for getting an address and phone number (without paying for it.)

That doesn't mean you will get either, but it's your best bet.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 03:11:17 PM »
If you have a name and city/state whitepages.com can get that for you. I also use Spokeo.com but I don't remember what it gives for free. Anywho will give you an address. Very few will give a phone number without a fee.

I had tried whitepages. Curious -- it has my address and telephone number, but it doesn't provide either for the person I wanted to find.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 03:12:22 PM »

Do you want your home address easily found on the web?

I'm old enough to remember when everyone's address and telephone number were in the telephone book. I guess I don't see that as an issue.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 03:13:50 PM »
I had tried whitepages. Curious -- it has my address and telephone number, but it doesn't provide either for the person I wanted to find.

If they have a spouse, did you try that name?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2017, 05:34:45 PM »
Her husband committed suicide 25 or 30 years ago. She's single/widowed. White pages found her ... but wouldn't tell me anything without delving into "premium" services. I didn't need a credit history or anything, I just wanted to address a Christmas card and I couldn't find my address book. (Okay, it's not a book -- it's a Rolodex.)

castle key

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2017, 07:29:08 PM »
familytreenow is scary detailed.
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.