Author Topic: Court Appearance  (Read 1214 times)

Ned Hamford

• friend
Court Appearance
« on: July 23, 2016, 02:48:19 PM »
Interesting happening from a few days ago.

I was covering an appearance for another attorney; a criminal matter being transferred so just showing up and getting it on the record.  As always happens when you are early, the client is late.  I had never met him before and I called the office, confirmed he knew to be there, asked for a description, and from his description believed I saw him in the check in security line. 
Mr. Late Name?
Yes.
Mr. First Name Last Name
Yes, I am First Name Last Name.
I let the office know, hurrah, he is here.  While walking him to the correct court room I notice he has some papers in his hand and further notice his paperwork has a different name on them.
You are First Name Last Name?
Yes.
Who is Name on Paper?
... ... ... It is me. 

I call back the office, they eventually reach the guy and he does show up 2 hours later; 2nd to last case to be called by the Court that day.  Literally maybe ten minutes to spare before he would have wound up with a warrant for blowing off the court order to appear; even tho the transfer to another court was scheduled.

I think the impostor was just a tad mentally ill and maybe slow.  But yah, bizarre. 
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Court Appearance
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 03:33:17 PM »
I was just trying to be helpful. Would have appreciated a tip, for my time, but whatever.  ;/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 03:38:07 PM »
It's kind of hard to claim later than you didn't know about the court appearance when you sent Fistful to stand in.   :facepalm:
"It's good, though..."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 05:23:27 PM »
He just needed a lawyer bad

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 09:53:50 AM »
So did the correct guy actually arrange for someone else to show up?  Or was that just someone who was agreeing to be someone else for the hell of it?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 11:49:25 AM »
So did the correct guy actually arrange for someone else to show up?  Or was that just someone who was agreeing to be someone else for the hell of it?

Unknown, but I think the later.  The long pause and 'It is me' was a childlike 'aww you caught me' resignation. 
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 12:25:53 PM »
What would have happened had the impostor gone in front of the judge and been found out then?

Step back both of them?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 01:43:44 PM »
What would have happened had the impostor gone in front of the judge and been found out then?

Step back both of them?

Depends on the mood fo te judge, ranging from a laugh while lookng for the right guy,  to a pissed off judge locking everyone up for contempt.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark