Author Topic: Port Protection, Alaska  (Read 437 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Port Protection, Alaska
« on: January 20, 2020, 10:09:26 AM »
So I usually spend my time making fun of these kinds of reality shows ("Alaska - The Lat Frontier" with the millionaire Kilchers who live closer to a full service grocery store than I do being a prime example). However, yesterday I stumbled upon the NatGeo series, "Port Protection Alaska", about the community of Port Protection. A fairly isolated community in Southeastern Alaska of around 100 people who spend a lot of time getting places via boats.

Obviously there are still embellishments, and from what I read, tourists wander into the place (if you have gift shops, you're not that isolated), but from the first few episodes I watched, they seem to at least try to be realistic. As in, they don't pull the whole, "If I don't shoot this bear, I'll starve this Winter" thing. They show residents buying frozen burritos at the local trading post, and also show them driving their vehicles (parked at a boat launch some distance from the village - you take your boat to your vehicle) to a town around 100 miles away to do regular grocery shopping and the like.

I find it (so far) kind of a neat look at a small, somewhat isolated community. For the wood cutters here, there's lots of chainsaw action. Also, this is one of the best filmed of these types of series I have seen. The scenery is absolutely breathtaking, and well presented by excellent cinematography.

If you've got time to kill and NatGeo, check it out.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Port Protection, Alaska
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 11:42:45 AM »
So, are they protecting a port?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Port Protection, Alaska
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 12:03:45 PM »
Heh. I thought it was some kind of LE series at first too. I didn't find verification, but in the first episode they said it got its name in the late 1700s when some ship's captain found it while escaping rough weather.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."