Author Topic: NICS and backlogged background check lines today.  (Read 5053 times)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
NICS and backlogged background check lines today.
« on: March 22, 2010, 01:48:35 PM »
I went to my local FFL to get the 4473 filled out on a new acquisition that just happened to arrive today.

According to him NICS for long-guns and the WI handgun line were as backed up as he'd seen them since the day after the Obummer election panic. In .5 seconds of "small talk" the operator confirmed they were "swamped".

IMO, it'll be a smaller blip than the election, but it's interesting none the less.  :-X
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 01:56:53 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: NICS and backlogged background check lines today.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 02:10:06 PM »
That is interesting, AJ.  It did not occur to me that that might happen after the passage of ObamaCare.  I agree that it will likely be just a short-term blip.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 02:17:47 PM »
Very interesting that gun sales track inversely to DC approval ratings.

Or, rather, gun sales track proportionately to DC disapproval ratings.

I wish those nimrods would realize it.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 02:24:18 PM »
Supply and demand is a fickle thing.

This blip is perhaps our great economic system acknowledging nationalized health care's potential threat to our right to keep and bear.
7-11 was a part time job.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 02:26:41 PM »
It's probably the more paranoid among us that think new gun control laws are next on the Obama agenda.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 02:28:39 PM »

Hmmmm, NImrod was a mighty hunter (his only reference in the Bible.)  What have I missed here?
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 02:32:37 PM »
Hmmmm, NImrod was a mighty hunter (his only reference in the Bible.)  What have I missed here?

I know you're being facetious, but words do change over time:

Nimrod "great hunter," 1712, in ref. to the biblical son of Cush, referred to (Gen. x.8-9) as "a mighty hunter before the Lord." It came to mean "geek, klutz" by 1983 in teenager slang, for unknown reasons. (Amateur theories include its occasional use in "Bugs Bunny" cartoon episodes featuring rabbit-hunting Elmer Fudd as a foil; its possible ironic use, among hunters, for a clumsy member of their fraternity; or a stereotype of deer hunters by the non-hunting population in the U.S.)

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 02:44:27 PM »
I hope it's just a blip.  Ammo/gun prices and availability is finally getting to decent levels around here. 

I'm picking up a couple guns today at the store.  I'm glad that AZ has the NICS exemption for CCW holders. 
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 02:47:34 PM by red headed stranger »
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 02:50:11 PM »
I picked up a Savage .22 bolt action rifle Sunday.  The clerk gave a huge sigh of relief when I whipped out my CCW card.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 03:07:42 PM »
Very interesting that gun sales track inversely to DC approval ratings.

Or, rather, gun sales track proportionately to DC disapproval ratings.

Careful what you wish for.  The moment they realize it, they're likely to add even more gun bans.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 03:21:37 PM »
Makes sense to me. If they're willing to cut their own throats by using every shady/borderline illegal tactic they can to ram a wildly unpopular bill down our throats once, they can do it again for guns.

Of course, if they get amnesty passed they'll have another 20-30 million Democratico voters...
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 03:56:55 PM »
i'm hoping it causes every in stock firearm in the country to sell out this week. [popcorn] more guns in peoples hands, it's a good thing. =D

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 04:07:18 PM »
Makes sense to me. If they're willing to cut their own throats by using every shady/borderline illegal tactic they can to ram a wildly unpopular bill down our throats once, they can do it again for guns.

Of course, if they get amnesty passed they'll have another 20-30 million Democratico voters...

I'm not so sure. My gut feeling is there won't be any "major" anti-gun legislation until the next POTUS/Congress cycle. IMO, the Democratic leadership is betting that by getting socialized medicine and single-payer's camel's nose in the tent, they're setting us up for de-facto single party rule.

They are pushing everything that will push America Left. In the way that the welfare class, unions, and seniors all vote for them with 60% or higher margins, they're betting that by instituting socialized medicine, that the "productive class" will start voting for them with 60% regularity out of fear that conservatives will "cut" their medical access.

In essence the socialized medicine debate wasn't about medicine or access to care, but forced demographic shifts to try and push middle-America into one of their dependent demographics. Amnesty is about this as well. As they learned in '94, gun control hurts their agenda because it pushes socially conservative union and elderly voters out of their block. So IMO major gun control won't be pushed until they've cemented an electoral stranglehold over America with entitlement dependency, which will take another 20 years or so.

Our only hope is that they've grossly miscalculated, this is the Hail-Mary pass by the Democratic party who is actually still dying of red-state growth demographics outstripping blue states, and the MSM withering in the face of the Internet and radio etc. And that the legislation gets gutted/dead-lettered by the SCOTUS on constitutional grounds,  and voter anger is so great it all comes to a screeching halt this fall, and that this is 1980/1994 all over again, but combined.
I promise not to duck.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 04:21:55 PM »
I'm not so sure. My gut feeling is there won't be any "major" anti-gun legislation until the next POTUS/Congress cycle. IMO, the Democratic leadership is betting that by getting socialized medicine and single-payer's camel's nose in the tent, they're setting us up for de-facto single party rule.

Nope. After last night, I am even more afraid of what will happen November 3. If the fear of being defeated in the elections in November didn't stop this monstrosity, what will they push through during those two months when they have no consequences?

A further fear: If John McCain is defeated in a primary, how badly will he lash out in vengeance on the American people for that?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 05:29:27 PM »
It's probably the more paranoid realistic among us that think new gun control laws are next on the Obama agenda.

FIFY

Or just us old men saying: "Get your healthcare off of my lawn!"  >:D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2010, 06:11:54 PM »
Nope. After last night, I am even more afraid of what will happen November 3. If the fear of being defeated in the elections in November didn't stop this monstrosity, what will they push through during those two months when they have no consequences?

A further fear: If John McCain is defeated in a primary, how badly will he lash out in vengeance on the American people for that?

I think that by passing this, they have shown that ramming through their agenda is more important than traditional protecting their seats...

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2010, 07:17:29 PM »
Figure out who your local candidate is for November who is against this stuff and support them.  Vollunteer for them if you want to. 

Most are predicting the Dems will lose majority in likely both houses in November. 

Remember, they spent nearly a full year trying to get this health care reform passed.  How much do you think they will get done in the next year?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2010, 09:51:31 PM »
Gun control will come through transnational non-governmental organizations.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2010, 11:29:05 PM »
Our only hope is that they've grossly miscalculated, this is...1980/1994 all over again, but combined.

And riding a dinosaur.  With a chainsaw. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2010, 12:21:22 AM »
There are more on the record "pro-gun Dems" than there were "anti-healthcare Dems" to start with.  I'm not sure it's really rational to try and conflate the issues out of fear.

They may not see the hypocrisy in protecting one freedom while gutting so many others, but self-deceit is a failing common to man.  If they stay true to the former voting record then their vote on the latter, while all sorts of bad in and of itself, isn't necessarily a cause for panic on 2nd amendment issues.

It might be worth looking at the "no" votes on health care and compare that list to the Dems who signed the pro-Mcdonald and Heller letters.  We want to loudly praise and reward any that are on the side of the angels on both.

I'm torn between making it clear I'm coming for blood in November (well, my guy is golden, but for all of your commie Reps anyway  =D ) and hanging a bit of hope (however false) out for those pro-gun (but also pro-healthcare) votes that they might save themselves if they get/keep religion on the 2nd and freedom in general real quick.

If they think they have nothing to lose they are likely to go along with leadership on guns too.  We might not want to actively force them into a corner, but rather pet Ol' Yeller right up til November, keep him wagging the way we want, until we put the bullet in their diseased little skulls.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2010, 01:59:01 PM »
And riding a dinosaur.  With a chainsaw.

Well, this worked in 1980...

How 'bout another aging entertainer:

(Okay, I just want to see what he'd do with the Oval Office, but there are worse choices.)

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2010, 02:06:07 PM »
(Okay, I just want to see what he'd do with the Oval Office, but there are worse choices.)

Antlers, lots of antlers. 
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2010, 04:35:26 PM »
There are more on the record "pro-gun Dems" than there were "anti-healthcare Dems" to start with.  I'm not sure it's really rational to try and conflate the issues out of fear.
I was assured that there were enough blue-dog democrats to prevent a health care takeover.

Call me skeptical, but I'm not going to believe any current assurances that there are enough pro-gun democrats to prevent new gun controls.  Fool me once...

And even if there are enough pro-gun Dems, we've now seen up close and personal the kind of pressure the decidedly anti-gun Dem leadership can bring to bear on Congressmen who oppose the leadership's agenda.  The fact that any given Dem supports RKBA may not matter when it comes time to count the yeas and nays.

If they avoid gun control this term, it'll be happenstance.  It'll be because they were too busy assaulting us on other fronts.

taurusowner

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2010, 04:45:40 PM »
It's probably the more paranoid among us that think new gun control laws are next on the Obama agenda.

Oh they're probably not next.  Next will be granting citizenship/(D) voters registrations to millions of illegals. Then they will have a secure base with which to assault gun rights.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2010, 06:00:17 PM »
Oh they're probably not next.  Next will be granting citizenship/(D) voters registrations to millions of illegals. Then they will have a secure base with which to assault gun rights.

Yep. And if the "blue dogs" are worried about their seats they might get another meaningless "promise" from Obama ala that damned Quisling Stupak.