Author Topic: Perdue jokes about suspending Congressional elections for two years  (Read 3687 times)

MechAg94

• friend
http://projects.newsobserver.com/under_the_dome/perdue_suggests_suspending_congressional_elections_for_two_years_was_she_serious

Perdue's full statement:

"You have to have more ability from Congress, I think, to work together and to get over the partisan bickering and focus on fixing things. I think we ought to suspend, perhaps, elections for Congress for two years and just tell them we won't hold it against them, whatever decisions they make, to just let them help this country recover. I really hope that someone can agree with me on that. The one good thing about Raleigh is that for so many years we worked across party lines. It's a little bit more contentious now but it's not impossible to try to do what's right in this state. You want people who don't worry about the next election."

Read more: http://projects.newsobserver.com/under_the_dome/perdue_suggests_suspending_congressional_elections_for_two_years_was_she_serious#ixzz1ZCezNiRz

The headline says it was a joke, but I don't see any punchline in there.  I think the idiot was serious.  

What I am really curious about is if this is some sort of trial balloon and will others bring up the same topic.  I really don't think these people have seen a mad electorate until they try to discuss this seriously like they will actually do it.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Perdue jokes about suspending Congressional elections for two years
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 09:01:32 PM »
Of course, most of us know the real problem is that Congress agrees on things far too often.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 10:45:57 PM »
 :facepalm:

Pulling something like that is probably one of the surest ways I can think of to start another civil war/revolution. We've never suspended elections before.  Not once, even when our country was fighting for its life. Not during the Civil War, not during the War of 1812, not during WWI or WWII. 

Suspending elections is how tyrants entrench themselves, and I don't think the average American is too far gone to realize that.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 08:23:46 AM »
Conservative southern state my *expletive deleted*.  As was previously state, keep a look out for an echo chamber effect.  This is how trial balloons are released.  Democrat deep polling is beginning to show a skunk in the November follies and they will do anything to avoid what is headed their way.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 09:19:14 AM »
All joking aside, If elections are suspended in this country, people will start shooting.
The trial balloon needs to show that clearly.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 11:07:16 AM »
All joking aside, If elections are suspended in this country, people will start shooting.
The trial balloon needs to show that clearly.

Hell, the trial balloon needs to be shot down with prejudice. 

At this point, I am just waiting to see if anyone else brings it up as a serious topic. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 11:19:26 AM »
I remember 2004, Bush brought this up in regards to POTUS and Congress.

A huge stink was made over that "trial balloon" as well.  GOP headquarters got a healthy dose of hatemail from me and several tens of thousands of others who actually care to make their voice known.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 12:43:26 PM »
Isn't it inevitable?  Don't we know by now who we are dealing with?
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 02:56:14 PM »
Isn't she the one that suspended the right to bear arms during a hurricane "emergency?" She sure does seem to like the "suspend" hammer somebody gave her. Control freak, I would say.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 03:45:13 PM »
This article has a link to the audio clip of her making her 'joke.'
http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=46497

Quite obviously her delivery was off as she sounded dead serious.  Which also explains the flurry of bloggers who published articles supporting the idea. 

I would like it confirmed that these bloggers are actually real people; but either outcome would probably just depress me more.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 05:15:39 PM »
I remember 2004, Bush brought this up in regards to POTUS and Congress.

A huge stink was made over that "trial balloon" as well.  GOP headquarters got a healthy dose of hatemail from me and several tens of thousands of others who actually care to make their voice known.
First I heard of that.  With all the anti-Bush stuff I have heard the last 6 years, that was never brought up.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 05:39:13 PM »
First I heard of that.  With all the anti-Bush stuff I have heard the last 6 years, that was never brought up.

His joke delivery is better.   :police:
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 06:55:43 PM »
http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=46497

I would like it confirmed that these bloggers are actually real people; but either outcome would probably just depress me more.

Quote from: moonbat blogger
I’ve previously lamented how the perpetual election cycle weakens our democratic system.

:facepalm: brain hurt cant think

how holding politishans accountable hurt democracy not understand

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 07:47:38 PM »
Isn't it inevitable?  Don't we know by now who we are dealing with?

The elections will not be suspended in 2012.

You can take bets on that one.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2011, 08:17:00 PM »

Yep, they don't really need to, as either one of the two heads of the evil monster will be elected to any given office  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2011, 08:18:40 PM »

http://www.democracynow.org/2004/7/12/could_bush_cancel_the_election
http://blog.wataugawatch.net/2004/07/michael-isikoff-of-newsweek-is.html

This one has some legitimacy to it.  I heard it over CONSERVATIVE talk radio as a point to hammer W on, back in 2004.

There's supposed to be a 2004 Newsweek article by Michael Isikoff detailing exactly how DHS would go about doing it... I can't find the article right now.

Seems to be well-quashed on teh interwebz, as it puts a big black eye on Bush for even whispering it.  Google can't seem to find it even with search terms "Michael Isikoff Newsweek 2004 Bush Cancel Elections".

But, I found it on Newsweek's web site:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2004/07/18/exclusive-election-day-worries.html

Pretty damning.  Bush actually asked Congress for a law to allow DHS to cancel elections.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2011, 08:19:21 PM »
Yep, they don't really need to, as either one of the two heads of the evil monster will be elected to any given office  =(

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2011, 08:23:30 PM »
It's not the suspension of elections that's inevitable, it's the irrelevancy.  The system is breaking down.  When you don't have true representation, when the rule of law is ignored, when people can't see a return from honest labor and investment, elections become a charade.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2011, 08:26:42 PM »

But the seeds for the idea have been planted and the idea has a high likelihood of growth...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2011, 08:28:15 PM »
But the seeds for the idea have been planted and the idea has a high likelihood of growth...

Just like how they want to nationalize 401k's.  They float the idea every six months to a year, and see if resistance dies down.

Just gotta stay sharp, stay angry, and stay on 'em.
--Lysander Spooner

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2011, 10:17:19 PM »

Are we supposed to be looking at the horns on his head?  ???

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2011, 11:49:12 PM »

Symmetrical face is symmetric.

Half-pic, reversed and then stitched together?  Amazing that he was perfectly vertical enough for such a pic to be created.

What is the inferred political point of it, though?
--Lysander Spooner

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2011, 12:07:53 AM »
...it is clearly a mirror image. Didn't notice that when posting - but look at the lettering to his sides.

The point I'm making is that people who are not part of the system can be elected with some work.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2011, 12:39:47 AM »
...it is clearly a mirror image. Didn't notice that when posting - but look at the lettering to his sides.

The point I'm making is that people who are not part of the system can be elected with some work.

OK, but you quoted a line about "the head of the evil monster," so...   :lol:

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2011, 06:26:14 AM »
Someone should remind them that any suspension of elections will likely end up resulting in a suspension of the cease-fire that's been in effect since 1865....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.