Author Topic: Remember all the hoopla about Amazon and sales tax?  (Read 5193 times)

brimic

• friends
Re: Remember all the hoopla about Amazon and sales tax?
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2012, 10:39:11 PM »
Yeah, right.  You actually believe that people will do that voluntarily?
I have- on a very expensive rifle that I bought on my C&R. Too much paperwork following it for me not to strongly consider claiming the taxes.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2012, 10:45:33 PM »
You're special.  You aren't the "people" I was referring to.  States are strapped for cash and can't afford the enforcement costs.  Hence the requirement in most (or all) states is simply ignored.  The whole tax system is pretty much based on voluntary payment of taxes.  When the majority stop paying, the country will go bankrupt.  They can't put everyone in jail.

How many times have I read about folks buying ammunition or whatever out of state via mail order to avoid paying the sales tax?  When Amazon starts collecting nationally, it will alter their business model.  For my part, I do buy locally whenever possible and that includes ammunition if it is priced even close to competitively and pay the sales tax.  But most people scoff at this view like I am a total idiot.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

brimic

• friends
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2012, 10:50:42 PM »
States are strapped for cash and can't afford the enforcement costs.

That sounds like a chicken-egg argument that can be avoided entirely if states reign in spending.

Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2012, 10:53:21 PM »
For my part, I do buy locally whenever possible and that includes ammunition if it is priced even close to competitively and pay the sales tax.  But most people scoff at this view like I am a total idiot.
I do the same if the store is the kind of store that I would really be sad to see leave- not because I really care that state can get a few dollars in tax money.

Barack Obama