Author Topic: State Dept. Explosives requisitions  (Read 1753 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: State Dept. Explosives requisitions
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2014, 05:29:50 PM »
The awesome thing about the MRAPs is I really wonder how many departments will have the funds to keep them operational.

I have read several comments along these lines in recent months.  So I have to ask: other than the cost of fuel and routine maintenance, what are the costs needed to keep them operational?  I would have thought that since these are essentially heavy armored trucks, operational costs are just automotive in nature, not like a helicopter or something like that.

Or is it because they are MRAPs, the cost of fuel and routine maintenance is very high?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2014, 05:51:02 PM »
I have read several comments along these lines in recent months.  So I have to ask: other than the cost of fuel and routine maintenance, what are the costs needed to keep them operational?  I would have thought that since these are essentially heavy armored trucks, operational costs are just automotive in nature, not like a helicopter or something like that.

Or is it because they are MRAPs, the cost of fuel and routine maintenance is very high?

Everything about them is built heavy. I'm no expert, but i remember my mechanic friend saying that the cost of simple wear items was astronomical because of how beefy everything is. Brakes have to be big to stop a heavy vehicle.

No idea to what extent though
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2014, 06:07:29 PM »
Everything about them is built heavy. I'm no expert, but i remember my mechanic friend saying that the cost of simple wear items was astronomical because of how beefy everything is. Brakes have to be big to stop a heavy vehicle.

Still, there are normal civilian vehicles that are big and heavy and still have to stop.  Same for civilian vehicles having to lug a lot of weight around, bounce over rough terrain, etc.

Pretty sure they could have contracted the base vehicle out to Freightliner, Mack, etc. and gotten something that any truck stop could fix...once they figured out how to get to the standard equipment underneath.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2014, 10:46:37 PM »
The awesome thing about the MRAPs is I really wonder how many departments will have the funds to keep them operational.

My hometown bought a LARC 60 for flood relief on a river that had flood currents in the 10 knot range, the LARC had a top speed in the 7 knot range.  That math should have been obvious to anybody.