Author Topic: Oh for Pete's sake  (Read 1473 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Oh for Pete's sake
« on: September 14, 2015, 10:34:14 AM »
 :facepalm: I just heard one of our customers refer to Ben Carson as "that guy that's running against Trump."

[bangs head against wall]
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Oh for Pete's sake
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 10:45:17 AM »
No, Carson is the guy getting support from the GOP folk who elevate having a token magic black guy to support so as to counter accusations of racism over all other priorities.

Also see:
1. Herman Cain
2. Alan Keyes

Naive_GOPer: "Don't call me racist, I am supporting the black guy!"
Dem_Or_Any_Lefty: "Racist.  Carson is not an authentic African American."
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 12:02:32 PM »
A lot of it is really just how low Obama (and Hillary) has set the bar.  He's not just a Leftist, but he's arguably the first Leftist president we've had who did not (even in if misguided ways) try to put the United States first.

Anybody looks so damn good as compared to him.

And even as Obama's been a Leftist, he's had more of an International Leftist mindset, he had limited ability to distribute wealth to other countries, but he can do everything he could to weaken America, or perhaps less tin-foily, allow America's status to slide from benign neglect. And that leaves even domestic American Leftists disappointed in him, which in part explains Bernie Sanders surge.
I promise not to duck.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 12:08:47 PM »
Hillary is such a bad candidate personnally and professionally, it says a lot about Democrats that she gets any support at all.  Sanders is just the default "None of the Above" candidate.  I am curious what changes will come about if Kerry decides to jump in.  He is a bad candidate, but has less illegal baggage. 

I have not yet heard Carson speak so I don't have much opinion on him yet.  I hear he is a pretty sharp guy.  I think someone pointed out somewhere that the leading R candidates are not Washington insiders.  Cruz is closest with 2 years in the Senate.  Not a lot of trust for the DC crowd. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 12:17:24 PM »
Hillary is such a bad candidate personnally and professionally, it says a lot about Democrats that she gets any support at all.  Sanders is just the default "None of the Above" candidate.  I am curious what changes will come about if Kerry decides to jump in.  He is a bad candidate, but has less illegal baggage. 

I have not yet heard Carson speak so I don't have much opinion on him yet.  I hear he is a pretty sharp guy.  I think someone pointed out somewhere that the leading R candidates are not Washington insiders.  Cruz is closest with 2 years in the Senate.  Not a lot of trust for the DC crowd. 

The fealty to those they think have "earned it", or who's turn it is, vs. who can actually win, is both parties Achilles heel.

All other considerations aside about his presidency, immediately jumping on the Obama bandwagon was political genius on the part of the DNC, the kind of which you tend to only see once a generation or even longer.
I promise not to duck.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 12:32:02 PM »
2. Alan Keyes

That worked so well in Illinois.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 01:16:12 PM »

Interesting thought, I hadn't heard or seen anything to say he was considering it.  Scary thing is that if he were to announce he would become the best candidate for the Dems and actually hate to admit it for the Rep also.  Amazing that Biden hasn't yet made anything official one way or another.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 02:22:50 PM »
Bob Kerry, or John Kerry?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 02:34:29 PM »
I imagine that the Clintons are pulling every string, cashing in every favor, and making every credible threat they can behind the scenes to keep anyone else out of the DNC field.

What remains to be seen is if they'll run out of strings, favors, and threats before or after the "Hillary inevitability" is established, and they figure the whole DNC and the MSM HAS to pull in behind her, whether they like it or not.

I also have to wonder if Bill secretly wants her to fail... just because... he's Bill. And perhaps even despite all the stuff he's done to deserve it, there's that whole issue of how it's so hard to "Kiss the lips that have been chewing your ass all day..." etc. Now imagine that for a couple of decades. Political-sham marriage or not.

And if anyone that has Bill's confidence, but not Hillary, and the power to do anything about it and knows this.
I promise not to duck.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 02:24:29 PM »
It's probably Bill who is undermining Hillary behind the scenes.  He is praying she'll drop out and then he can divorce her and have a toga party for the rest of his life.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2015, 02:45:10 PM »
In an interesting, and to my mind sardonically amusing karmic twist, HRC's future is in the hands of Barack Obama. All the leverage of the Clinton machine is worthless if Obama tells his "Justice" Department to turn of the heat on the e-mail/Benghazi/Foundation probe. The prospect of a serious investigation, much less an indictment, sinks her, as the DNC will see her as a flaming albatross around its neck. There is certainly no love lost in the aftermath of the bitter 2008 election with all the slams the Clintons made on Obama and Hillary's humiliation at Obama's hands.

I believe they had a deal to ensure her succession, but that Obama feels no obligation to honor it and would like to see Hillary destroyed. I also think he wants to steer the future of the Democratic Party, and the Clinton camp returning to power is completely counter to that strategic goal.

For myself, watching her slide into frustrated, ignominious obscurity would be the most fitting outcome.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2015, 05:17:15 PM »
For myself, watching her slide into frustrated, ignominious obscurity in prison would be the most fitting outcome.

Improved.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2015, 05:37:07 PM »
It's probably Bill who is undermining Hillary behind the scenes.  He is praying she'll drop out and then he can divorce her and have a toga party for the rest of his life.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2015, 06:35:55 PM »
Improved.

Unfortunately, I think the two concepts conflict. Her incarceration would 1) keep her in the media sphere a la Martha Stewart, and 2) give her cause to write another book, e.g. "It Took a Cell Block to Give Me Another Excuse to Pathetically Reinvent Myself".

I am willing to forego judicial punishment in the knowledge that her insatiable ambition was irrevocably thwarted as she lives out her remaining years as a politically and publicly toxic pariah, listening to insincere sympathy and  sotto voce derision at cocktail parties. I think that's the worst penalty she can suffer.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2015, 12:00:28 PM »
I think SAD has the right idea

Personally, I think it would be most fitting if the only time she's ever mentioned in the future is as "Former First Lady, Mrs Bill Clinton"
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2015, 10:02:55 PM »
I think SAD has the right idea

Personally, I think it would be most fitting if the only time she's ever mentioned in the future is as "Former First Lady, Mrs Bill Clinton"

I didn't know you were a Dittohead.  =)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2015, 10:36:11 PM »
Unfortunately, I think the two concepts conflict. Her incarceration would 1) keep her in the media sphere a la Martha Stewart, and 2) give her cause to write another book, e.g. "It Took a Cell Block to Give Me Another Excuse to Pathetically Reinvent Myself".

I am willing to forego judicial punishment in the knowledge that her insatiable ambition was irrevocably thwarted as she lives out her remaining years as a politically and publicly toxic pariah, listening to insincere sympathy and  sotto voce derision at cocktail parties. I think that's the worst penalty she can suffer.
She is old enough with enough past health issues that a few years of prison would likely derail any future attempts at the POTUS.  I am sure she could go back to a congressional seat as there are always Democrats who vote blindly. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2015, 11:46:20 PM »
She is old enough with enough past health issues that a few years of prison would likely derail any future attempts at the POTUS.  I am sure she could go back to a congressional seat as there are always Democrats who vote blindly. 

Her future political aspirations are toast, IMO. A drawn out trial and prison keeps attention on her and some will see persecution. I don't want her given that opportunity to (further) be a martyr for those who might be sympathetic to the "vast right-wing conspiracy witch hunt" view of her scandals Seen to be a liability and embarrassing chapter of history to be forgotten I don't think she gets that potential rehabilitation.