Author Topic: Trump calls for nationwide concealed carry and end to bans  (Read 3384 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Trump calls for nationwide concealed carry and end to bans
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2015, 10:34:05 PM »
Marriage licenses are recognized everywhere, too, with state-to-state variations in age, blood tests, etc.

Cain't think of others offhand, but then again, it's gettin' up toward my nap time.

Correction: Marriage licenses are recognized only in the jurisdiction where issued. In some states that covers an entire county. In my state, a marriage license is only valid for the municipality in which it is issued (meaning you have to get the license in the town/city in which the wedding will be held).

Marriages are recognized by all states (although some states still balk at recognizing same-sex marriages from other states).
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2015, 12:47:51 AM »
Thanks for the correction.  Slip of the brain on my part.  Original corrected.

I'd like to make a remark about Mr. Trump's turnabout on guns, which has been a point that's been made a couple of times here and on other gun boards.

Having been born and lived my first 25 (+/-) years in New York City, I can testify that its population is so inculcated with the idea that "guns is bad" and only "cops and soldiers should have guns" that it is no surprise that he also carried those ideas into adulthood.

He, after all, was also born and raised in New York City, and I can't blame him for having those same ideas.

I did too, until I moved out to Colorado in the early sixties and made the interesting discovery that a resident could buy (EEK!) a handgun over the counter in a Department store, no hassles, no nothing beyond proving one's residency in Colorado.

I believe, therefore, that it was a legitimate "coming of age" for him with respect to the right to keep and bear arms being an actual "right."  As opposed to merely being a high privilege grudgingly granted by the Authorities.

So, to anyone who gives him grief for "changing his mind" on that issue for political expediency, please keep that in mind.

The trouble is that he would have a hard time explaining  that without sounding like he was trying to weasel out of something.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 01:21:40 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2015, 07:18:10 AM »
230RN, did you change your mind on an as many issues as Trump has?

Stolen from another thread:

https://www.facebook.com/jebbush/videos/746439785485067/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2015, 12:04:36 PM »
230RN, did you change your mind on an as many issues as Trump has?

<snip>

Yes, yes, indeed yes.  

Mostly though, not in terms of individual issues so much as general outlook, which of course reflected back to individual issues.

I, in common with most of the other 7 million people in New York, grew up with the attitude of "you can't fight City Hall," and whatever the Power Magnates did, that was it.

Hell's bells, it even required circumcision of the newborn, and nobody thought too much about this requirement.  Hey, the Health Department wants it, and so it must be.  I'll put my $100 against anybody's $10 that Donald J. Trump was also subject to this regulation.  :D  Not that it's provable except by direct evidence, but...

:rofl:

But seriously, the City mostly did what it wanted to.  And of course, even in elementary school Civics sections, New York was touted as the greatest and bestest City in the world.  This was not-so-subtly drummed into our heads, and exemplary thereof, I cite the famous cover of the New Yorker magazine:

http://www.hoodedutilitarian.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Steinberg_View_9th_ave_03291976.jpg

Despite the humor in that cover/cartoon, underlying it was a solid ugly truth.

Moving out to Colorado was a refreshing enlightenment.  

"Free Air," and all that.

So yes, yes, indeed yes.

Terry, 230RN

REF (Image lifted from this site, but is quite famous and is found elsewhere):
http://www.hoodedutilitarian.com/2012/10/new-yorker-cartoons-a-legacy-of-mediocrity/
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 12:26:22 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.