Author Topic: Cognitive Dissonance for the day! Courtesy of the New York Times  (Read 627 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
"Militant Open-Mindedness"

http://www.unz.com/isteve/nyt-on-peter-thiels-risk-in-supporting-trump-silicon-valleys-militant-open-mindedness-makes-it-place-that-will-severely-punish-any-deviations-from-accepted-schools-of-though

people here pride themselves on a kind of militant open-mindedness. It is the kind of place that will severely punish any deviations from accepted schools of thought

(emphasis mine)

I mean, how much more open-minded can you be than that!?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Cognitive Dissonance for the day! Courtesy of the New York Times
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 10:31:15 AM »
They want to have their cake and eat it to.  They want to use the words, but not actually do it.  They don't want anyone actually showing them how wrong they are.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

birdman

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 01:46:54 PM »
Peter's speech was really good, and I think hits the right buttons.
(Disclosure, I know him personally)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 01:53:01 PM »
Peter's speech was really good, and I think hits the right buttons.
(Disclosure, I know him personally)

That's cool you know him. As he said, I may not agree with him on everything, but he's an impressive man, nonetheless.

I read his speech. I liked his call to put aside all the identities and realize we are Americans.

As for this part:

Now we are told that the great debate is about who gets to use which bathroom. This is a distraction from our real problems. Who cares?

...fake culture wars only distract us from our economic decline. And nobody in this race is being honest about it except Donald Trump.

I quite agree that fake culture wars distract us from serious problems. Just how, exactly do we stop fighting them when we (conservatives) are on the defensive?

Did conservatives send out a memo (on penalty of loss of all federal funds) to all schools to start letting boys who think they are girls into the girls locker rooms (and vice versa)?

As a father, I've got a bit of a problem with that. I'd LOVE not to be fighting that stupid fight, but, apparently, half (ok, likely 40% of) the country thinks it is an existential issue.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought