Author Topic: Cop that donated to Rittenhouse fired  (Read 2128 times)

sumpnz

• friend
Cop that donated to Rittenhouse fired
« on: April 21, 2021, 11:10:13 AM »
https://redstate.com/nick-arama/2021/04/21/norfolk-pd-acts-against-the-officer-who-dared-donate-25-to-kyle-rittenhouse-fund-n365859

The end goal is obviously to make everyone subscribe to leftist ideology or not be allowed to participate in the economy or society.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Cop that donated to Rittenhouse fired
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 11:51:36 AM »
This is why on the rare occasions I feel like sending monetary support in any potentially volatile case, I don't use GoFundMe, or PayPal, or send a check. I stuff a $10 or $20 bill in an envelope, put a stamp on it, and mail it from a post office box in a town other than my home town.

It sucks that we have to think that way but, as the saying goes, "Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 12:04:43 PM »
He was fired for using his department email address to send the money/note.  If he had used his personal email, and not involved his department, he would still be employed... probably. 

The political people behind the scenes were looking for an excuse to fire the officer.  The misuse of the department email was the excuse.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 12:05:51 PM »
He was fired for using his department email address to send the money/note.  If he had used his personal email, and not involved his department, he would still be employed... probably. 

The political people behind the scenes were looking for an excuse to fire the officer.  The misuse of the department email was the excuse.

Should of have asked Hillary for advice on that
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 12:28:49 PM »
Beach lawyer and political candidate Tim Andersen filed an FOIA seeking city email interaction with Actblue and a few others.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

WLJ

• friends
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2021, 03:32:02 PM »

If there was a policy against personal use of email in that locality, they would certainly have an actionable offense. My big problem with this one and the paramedic (and I guess many others) is that their donations were only made public due to hackers and a data breach. It seems that illegal activity was okie doke with the MSM, etc. as long as it outed some philosophical enemies of the people.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2021, 04:49:06 PM »
Before she was VP, Kamala Harris was deeply involved in raising money to bail out violent Burn Loot Murder rioters.

Yet nobody is calling for her firing (impeachment from a D house?  :rofl: ) or resignation.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2021, 04:58:01 PM »
Only a racist would notice that
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2021, 04:59:12 PM »
Beach lawyer and political candidate Tim Andersen filed an FOIA seeking city email interaction with Actblue and a few others.
I would also like to know what their past actions have been for this violation with other employees.  Perhaps look at the emails of management and see if they are doing the same thing (likely).
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2021, 06:30:19 PM »
I garauntee others in the department are doing the same with politically approved causes and nothing will ever happen to them.

Just like the Hatch Act will never be applied to any federal employees that are lefty.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2021, 06:33:04 PM »
I garauntee others in the department are doing the same with politically approved causes and nothing will ever happen to them.

Just like the Hatch Act will never be applied to any federal employees that are lefty.

Yup.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2021, 08:40:33 PM »
And is using departmental email addresses for a donation or other personal business  really a termination worthy offense?  Especially if it’s the first time they’ve been “caught” doing so?  Firing seems like a wildly disproportionate punishment. 

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2021, 10:06:43 PM »
And is using departmental email addresses for a donation or other personal business  really a termination worthy offense?  Especially if it’s the first time they’ve been “caught” doing so?  Firing seems like a wildly disproportionate punishment.

I would like to read the department's actual, printed policy statement.

Many years ago I got in a urination contest with the boss where I worked. I had worked until almost midnight one night to wrap up a project to meet a deadline. I was the last one to leave and the rule was that the last one out had to shut down all the equipment in the computer room. That included printers, plotters, servers, and I don't remember what else -- and there was a VERY strict sequence in which everything had to be shut down. The written policy was that the firm's computers were for company business but "occasional" use to check personal e-mail was explicitly allowed. Since I had been away from home for about 18 hours and I know I was going to be wiped out when I got home (one hour drive each way), I had checked my personal e-mail and printed one message -- which I then forgot when I went through the steps to shut down the computer room correctly.

When I came in the next morning there was a nastygram on my chair from the big boss, chastising me for having used their computers to print a personal e-mail. He wasn't happy when I pointed out that the personnel manual (which they had never given me) expressly allowed it.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2021, 10:07:17 PM »
Unless they've got a strict no personal use policy that is actually enforced I hope he can make a wrongful termination case.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2021, 07:38:53 AM »
Unless they've got a strict no personal use policy that is actually enforced I hope he can make a wrongful termination case.

Virginia is an at-will employment state.  Unless he had a contract, he will probably lose the case.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2021, 07:41:44 AM »
Virginia is an at-will employment state.  Unless he had a contract he's a democrat, he will probably lose the case.

FIFY
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2021, 09:00:47 AM »
Virginia is an at-will employment state.  Unless he had a contract, he will probably lose the case.
How does that work with benefits and 401K stuff?  Texas is at-will employment, but there is a difference between "fired for cause" and just let go.  I think they can hold back some matching 401K, yank my pension, etc.  I am curious if he has any losses like that.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2021, 10:23:02 AM »

Except you just know there's a Union and Collective Bargaining Agreement in place.  If they breached the CBA they will end up hiring him back with back pay.  The city is probably hoping it can drag it out just long enough for the media's ADHD to kick in

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2021, 12:14:17 PM »
Except you just know there's a Union and Collective Bargaining Agreement in place.  If they breached the CBA they will end up hiring him back with back pay.  The city is probably hoping it can drag it out just long enough for the media's ADHD to kick in
That was my thought - Norfolk is a good sized city (population about 250,000 or so, third largest in VA) and Norfolk PD has almost 900 employees; I'd be very surprised if they didn't have a union that will appeal the firing of an 18 year veteran, especially if the department's internet use policy has NOT been enforced with equal vigor and similar penalties in the past.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2021, 12:23:49 PM »
Yep, probably violated the IAUP (Internet Acceptable Use Policy).  When I worked for the large urban school district in my area, I was issued a work cell phone, but I made sure to have a person cell phone as well and carried both.  I made sure that nobody in my personal life had my work cell number, since everything was FOIAable.  I also made sure that I never did any personal browsing on my computer in the office. 

Always make sure to separate business from personal particularly for Public entities.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2021, 12:35:39 PM »
Would he have been fired work rules or not if the money had gone to BLM ? Has anyone heard of anyone being harassed or fired over BLM donations? I haven't heard of anyone but that doesn't prove anything but my guess is that more than likely if someone had I'm sure we're would be hearing about it from the roof tops but I can't prove that. 
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 01:16:06 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2021, 01:08:03 PM »
Yep, probably violated the IAUP (Internet Acceptable Use Policy).  When I worked for the large urban school district in my area, I was issued a work cell phone, but I made sure to have a person cell phone as well and carried both.  I made sure that nobody in my personal life had my work cell number, since everything was FOIAable.  I also made sure that I never did any personal browsing on my computer in the office. 

Always make sure to separate business from personal particularly for Public entities.

Unless you happen to be Hilary Clinton or Barack Obama (or proabbly any Democrat).

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2021, 02:32:12 PM »

Articles I've read said he isn't in the union.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2021, 02:40:24 PM »
Articles I've read said he isn't in the union.

I wonder if that is because he was a Lt, so not high but more of a supervisory position within the PD? I know some unions limit membership once you reach a certain position. It looks like the union is involved, if even just making a statement. He also get to appeal the decision.

https://www.wavy.com/news/local-news/norfolk/norfolk-pd-officer-fired-after-anonymous-donation-to-kyle-rittenhouse-defense-fund/

bob