Author Topic: This is going to get Interesting...  (Read 8350 times)

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
This is going to get Interesting...
« on: April 04, 2012, 08:33:27 PM »
http://www.coshoctontribune.com/article/20120404/NEWS01/204040328/1002/rss01

Judge approves fired pregnant teacher's lawsuit

CINCINNATI (AP) -- A federal judge has given the go-ahead for trial in a lawsuit against the Archdiocese of Cincinnati by a Catholic school teacher fired after she became pregnant through artificial insemination.

This is going to be a very interesting case!

The Catechism of the Catholic Church is expressly against artificial means for pregnancy.
The terms of her employment contract will play a big part in the legal wranglings.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: This is going to get Interesting...
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 11:41:17 PM »
What leg is she standing on?  ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 06:06:47 AM »
Wonder if they'd let the suit go forward if it was a cleaning woman fired from the local mosque for failing to wear a burka and eating a ham sandwich . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 10:19:57 AM »
Don't like it, don't work for a Catholic institution. It's not exactly hidden in the fine print.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 10:28:36 AM »
Don't like it, don't work for a Catholic institution. It's not exactly hidden in the fine print.
Correct, but as mentioned above, it depends on the contract. Wouldn't have mattered in SC as we are a RTW state.  :angel:
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 10:46:13 AM »
Correct, but as mentioned above, it depends on the contract. Wouldn't have mattered in SC as we are a RTW state.  :angel:

Depends.  You can still work under contract in a RTW state.  Contract agreed to by both parties overrides RTW.  Of course, "at will" applies if there is no contract.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 11:01:06 AM »
Wonder if they'd let the suit go forward if it was a cleaning woman fired from the local mosque for failing to wear a burka and eating a ham sandwich . . .
Good point, but it might not matter if the place had rules to follow that the person was notified of when they were hired. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 11:44:12 AM »
I actually have a pdf of the Diocese contract with our local teachers.

AI is not mentioned specifically, but it does reference 'any violation of Diocesan policy' as grounds for dismissal.
Seems that even non-Catholic teachers must know the Diocesan policy to maintain employment.

Still not sure if this was the reason.

As usual, had she kept her mouth shut, there would have been no issue.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 11:49:35 AM »
I'm with the church on this one.  Employers have the right to impose arbitrary requirements on employees, provided that it's known up front.  Their property, their rules.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 02:02:31 PM »
Instead of an autocracy of the many we are codifying an "autocracy" of the individual.  This can only lead to anarchy.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 02:14:58 PM »
I don't think liberals and feminists look far enough ahead to see the potential unintended consequences of their recent actions against the RCC.

If the RCC is required to pay for birth control or employ people who do other things in conflict with the church, it would not be too hard to imagine a future where the Church finds it 'difficult'  to find women who are qualified for positions that are under 50 years old.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 04:49:30 PM »
I don't think liberals and feminists look far enough ahead to see the potential unintended consequences of their recent actions against the RCC.

If the RCC is required to pay for birth control or employ people who do other things in conflict with the church, it would not be too hard to imagine a future where the Church finds it 'difficult'  to find women who are qualified for positions that are under 50 years old.

The RCC, IMHO, is to focused on what they believe, as opposed to reality of the world where they exist.
I am not saying that they need to completely abandon their values, but they need to use common sense.
The current average of a RCC priest is 67 years old.
If they allowed priests to be married, they would not be so hard up as they currently are.
They may ride their current beliefs structure straight into obscurity....

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 05:04:07 PM »
Instead of an autocracy of the many we are codifying an "autocracy" of the individual.  This can only lead to anarchy.

You get me so horny when you speak of anarchy.

The individual is the smallest minority.

I want my freedom.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 05:23:06 PM »
The RCC, IMHO, is to focused on what they believe, as opposed to reality of the world where they exist.
I am not saying that they need to completely abandon their values, but they need to use common sense.
If they allowed priests to be married, they would not be so hard up as they currently are.

Therein lies the difference...
You believe something which might be a legitimate criticism of the RCC, but others are actively trying to force their will on the religeon.
There are plenty of wishy-washy-anything-goes 'christian' sects in America, and their membership numbers are dropping faster than the RCC's.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 05:46:20 PM »
Any religion is not completely free to do whatever they want.

Limitations do exist legally and morally - the RCC cannot escape that.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 07:07:38 PM »
Any religion is not completely free to do whatever they want.

Limitations do exist legally and morally - the RCC cannot escape that.

???

So are you saying the RCC has to hire people who won't follow their policies, and keep them no matter what they do?

And why would the traditions that the RCC has held for hundreds of years be their undoing at this point in history? I know Canticle for Liebowitz is fiction, but between modern notions and the RCC, I'm certainly not betting on the moderns. The RCC has some ideas I don't cotton to, but they've shown a lot of staying power.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 08:52:04 PM »
I actually have a pdf of the Diocese contract with our local teachers.

AI is not mentioned specifically, but it does reference 'any violation of Diocesan policy' as grounds for dismissal.
Seems that even non-Catholic teachers must know the Diocesan policy to maintain employment.

Still not sure if this was the reason.

As usual, had she kept her mouth shut, there would have been no issue.

How was she to keep her mouth shut?  She went to ask for maternity leave and the school knew she was single.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2012, 09:10:14 PM »
How was she to keep her mouth shut?  She went to ask for maternity leave and the school knew she was single.

No, she was not fired for being pregnant, but the method - artificial insemination.

This violates the RCC Catechism.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2012, 10:16:00 PM »
No, she was not fired for being pregnant, but the method - artificial insemination.

This violates the RCC Catechism.

Then again, so does being single and pregnant.  :lol:

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2012, 10:39:19 PM »

Then again, so does being single and pregnant.  :lol:

Oh *expletive deleted*it - I missed that one!

Yea, so much for any precedent here.

She is complete toast!  =D

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2012, 12:47:25 AM »
Emphasis mine:

Somehow I don't think the RCC is all that worried about your assesment of their structures and future viability.

Quote from: 1 John 2:15
Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

Quote from: James 1:27
Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

Quote from: James 4:4
You adulterous people, don't you know that friendship with the world is hatred toward God? Anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God.

Quote from: Romans 12:2
Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
Formerly sumpnz

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2012, 01:39:13 AM »
Emphasis mine:
Somehow I don't think the RCC is all that worried about your assesment of their structures and future viability.

Gettin' all Biblical, eh? I figured the fact that they had been around (at least in some form) for over a thousand years ought to have given him a clue.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2012, 09:35:42 AM »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2012, 10:59:59 AM »
the contract wasn’t gender-neutral – artificial insemination issues only apply to women, she said

What delightful idiocy.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2012, 12:05:31 PM »
The #1 fastest growing religious sect in America is Mormonism.

#2 is R Catholicism.

The Roe Effect is in effect.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton