Author Topic: This is going to get Interesting...  (Read 8352 times)

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
Re: This is going to get Interesting...
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2012, 12:14:29 PM »
Emphasis mine:
Somehow I don't think the RCC is all that worried about your assesment of their structures and future viability.

Think what you want to think. It is not just me.

Currently, about 23% of the US population is Catholic. Less than 30% attend church.
Catholic school population is down well over 50% from 1980.
Philadelphia is currently closing 33 Catholic schools.
The Rockford IL Diocese is closing 57 parishes.
Nationally, 1,200 Catholic schools have been closed in the last 11 years.
Students enrolled in US Catholic schools have dropped 642,000 in 10 years, to 2,000,000.
Now, add in all the deserved bad press where the RCC has completely mishandled the priest abuse crisis, and it is obvious that Catholics have been voting with their feet and leaving.

My assessment is quite accurate. The RCC is the poster child of what not to do these days.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2012, 12:46:16 PM »

Currently, about 23% of the US population is Catholic. Less than 30% attend church.
Students enrolled in US Catholic schools have dropped 642,000 in 10 years, to 2,000,000.
Now, add in all the deserved bad press where the RCC has completely mishandled the priest abuse crisis, and it is obvious that Catholics have been voting with their feet and leaving.

My assessment is quite accurate. The RCC is the poster child of what not to do these days.

The growth or shrinking of the Catholic church is a straw man.
And not the point of this thread.

The point is, are they allowed to enter a contract with employees that restricts thier activities outside of work.
And that should be the focus of this discussion.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2012, 12:51:58 PM »
You get me so horny when you speak of anarchy.

The individual is the smallest minority.

I want my freedom.

I want your freedom too.  I want my own.  What I meant was that there are cases where one person expects the majority to bend to his/her will rather than just seeking another venue in which to exercise that freedom.

Hey, any opportunity to feel horny should never be overlooked.  :)
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2012, 01:37:53 PM »
I want your freedom too.  I want my own.  What I meant was that there are cases where one person expects the majority to bend to his/her will rather than just seeking another venue in which to exercise that freedom.
Hey, any opportunity to feel horny should never be overlooked.  :)

I've told people before freedom is an ugly ugly thing.  The RCC is free to make decisions as an organization that may lead to its downfall.  If you suck so bad as an employer, you won't find employees.  If people want jobs, they won't care.  If she reall needed AI so bad, she should have found a job elsewhere. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2012, 05:18:57 PM »
I'm just going to assume that everyone who defends the school's/church's right to do stuff also agrees with that stuff. Because that is fashionable right now.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2012, 10:22:27 PM »
Closed (for now) per request of the OP.   I'll bring it up with the rest of the mods to see if it could or should be reopened.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2012, 01:06:20 PM »
The brain trust has spoken. 

Carry on.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2012, 02:57:38 PM »
The brain trust has spoken. 

Carry on.

[tinfoil]  <---- Mistrust of the brain trust.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2012, 03:27:04 PM »
[tinfoil]  <---- Mistrust of the brain trust.

So this 'brain trust' of whom he speaks is Pinky and the Brain, who came up with the Pink'n'Twilight theme last weekend!? Please!

Homey don't think so! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bpf_WIn51Q
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2012, 03:55:20 PM »

You completly missed the point.
Formerly sumpnz

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2012, 04:01:16 PM »
You completly missed the point.

Not about viability.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2012, 11:39:25 PM »
Their issues WRT viability have to do with them becoming more "of this world" than they should have.  Things like tolerance of pederasty in the priesthood are because they took their eye off the Biblical ball and let worldly concerns take over.  Decline in school attendance probably has as much to do with economic factors keeping parents from paying for it, but also likely has to do with a lot of the Catholic schools become less "Catholic" and more mainstream liberal propaganda mills.

Becoming more "of this world" will only serve to further alienate people.  Changing their doctrine to allow for artificial contraception, artificial conception methods, or anything else might bring a few people in, but would lose them orders of magnitude more.  

FTR - I am not Catholic.  I have a lot of issues with their doctrine and would not ever choose to join them.  But that is seperate from the issues above.
Formerly sumpnz

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2012, 12:39:30 AM »
Their issues WRT viability have to do with them becoming more "of this world" than they should have.  Things like tolerance of pederasty in the priesthood are because they took their eye off the Biblical ball and let worldly concerns take over.  Decline in school attendance probably has as much to do with economic factors keeping parents from paying for it, but also likely has to do with a lot of the Catholic schools become less "Catholic" and more mainstream liberal propaganda mills.

Becoming more "of this world" will only serve to further alienate people.  Changing their doctrine to allow for artificial contraception, artificial conception methods, or anything else might bring a few people in, but would lose them orders of magnitude more.  

FTR - I am not Catholic.  I have a lot of issues with their doctrine and would not ever choose to join them.  But that is seperate from the issues above.

That.

We have known for some time that as the mainline Protestant denominations skew more and more to the left, their numbers drop lower and lower. This makes perfect sense, of course. If church becomes less church, people have less reason to go to a church that doesn't offer as much churchiness. If the church has become so un-church that it's just like every other cultural institution, people will just go to every other cultural institution. Why shouldn't they?

IOW, if the Catholics are losing numbers, the smart money blames Catholic liberalism, not Catholic conservatism.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2012, 09:35:39 AM »
IOW, if the Catholics are losing numbers, the smart money blames Catholic liberalism, not Catholic conservatism.

aaarrrrrrggggghhhhhhh!

i agree
with great reluctance

cradle mackerel snapper here
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I