Author Topic: Can You Use a Gun Against an Unarmed Person?  (Read 4281 times)

Waitone

• friend
Can You Use a Gun Against an Unarmed Person?
« on: September 01, 2014, 04:39:01 PM »
http://legalinsurrection.com/2014/08/why-use-of-a-gun-can-be-lawful-even-against-an-unarmed-person/

A really clear article on the use of deadly force.  In Political Place because it analyzes Zimmerman and Ferguson.

Does APS have a reference library 'cause if it did this articles merits selection.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
Re: Can You Use a Gun Against an Unarmed Person?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 04:56:55 PM »
I'd say yes, depending on the circumstances. Haven't read the link yet, but disparity of force comes to mind.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 05:18:01 PM »
I would say "no" except I guess there's always the possibility of him kicking you to death  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 05:21:15 PM »
Yes here

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 05:52:06 PM »
The key words are "In fear of your life."
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 06:07:26 PM »
Can you use a gun against a supposedly "unarmed" person?

Hell yes you can.

Anybody who claims that an "unarmed" man is harmless and therefore you could never legally shoot him lives in a fantasy world, and has never been in a fight before.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 06:33:32 PM »
Can you use a gun against a supposedly "unarmed" person?

Hell yes you can.

Anybody who claims that an "unarmed" man is harmless and therefore you could never legally shoot him lives in a fantasy world, and has never been in a fight before.

+1
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 06:44:26 PM »
I have a bone-like growth in a sinus cavity close enough to my optic nerve and jugular vein such that, if I were punched in the face,  I could be blinded or bleed to death. If somebody starts punching me in the face, I'll shoot. I would hope an attorney could use expert witnesses to get me off.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 06:48:19 PM »
Can you use a gun (in self defense) against a supposedly "unarmed" person?

Hell yes you can.

I'm going to have to go with that as well.

A nephew of Hizzoner Richard Daley killed a man with a blow.

The 2004 incident went down outside a Rush Street bar when Koschman and friends were arguing with a group Vanecko was with. During the altercation, Vanecko threw a punch that landed Koschman in the street where he hit is his head; Koschman died 11 days later.

(Ungramaticality copied directly from huffpo.)
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 07:35:20 PM »
To answer the title question: Yes.  Duh.

Ability, Opportunity, Jeopardy. 
http://useofforce.us/3aojp/
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 08:07:53 PM »
Anyone actually read the article yet?
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2014, 08:21:50 PM »

I did. It affirmed what I already knew. Of course, I have an interest in that subject whereas the general public has an interest in the inside of their own butts. 

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2014, 08:23:47 PM »
The key words are "In fear of your life."

"Fear of imminent serious bodily injury or death." is the use-of-deadly-force criteria in Texas.  It gets drilled into you about a jillion times during CHL cert training.

Brad
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 08:27:17 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2014, 09:13:01 PM »
"Fear of imminent serious bodily injury or death." is the use-of-deadly-force criteria in Texas.  It gets drilled into you about a jillion times during CHL cert training.

Brad

To pick nits:  "Having a fear" isn't a good enough standard because some people are afraid of everything and everyone.  Just because Jumpy Jane is afraid of all black people doesn't mean she can shoot every black person she comes across.  There still has to be ability, opportunity, and jeopardy.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2014, 09:23:56 PM »

Brad

Yep.

This is the common law rule and the statutory rule in most every state (though it also includes rape). There is an objective and subjective component. The person defending themselves must have a fear and this fear must be reasonable. If other people, such as the jury, don't feel your fear or actions were reasonable, then your self-defense claim won't fly.

As for using lethal force against and unarmed person, this really isn't anything new. There are plenty of instances where people have done this and charges were never filed or they were acquitted.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2014, 09:39:59 PM »
To pick nits:  "Having a fear" isn't a good enough standard because some people are afraid of everything and everyone.  Just because Jumpy Jane is afraid of all black people doesn't mean she can shoot every black person she comes across.  There still has to be ability, opportunity, and jeopardy.

Thus the all-important "imminent" and "serious bodily injury or death" modifiers.  If those two criteria aren't met then use of deadly force is no bueno, putting you on the receiving end of a criminal prosecution.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2014, 09:54:31 PM »

The "reasonable person" standard comes into play.
In my case, while I'm fairly healthy I have a few issues. Bad knee, bad back, couple of bad shoulders. I'm not about to go toe to toe against an unprovoked assailant.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2014, 09:59:28 PM »
Thus the all-important "imminent" and "serious bodily injury or death" modifiers.  If those two criteria aren't met then use of deadly force is no bueno, putting you on the receiving end of a criminal prosecution.

Brad

Agreed.  I quoted the wrong text.  Sorry.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2014, 10:27:18 PM »

I started but didn't finish ...   =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2014, 10:30:22 PM »
Agreed.  I quoted the wrong text.  Sorry.

"Ladies and gentleman this is your captain speaking. Today we will be loading our Glock with 125 grain hollow points and firing... Oh, sorry, got my flight list mixed up with my Guns & Ammo.  We will be flying at 30,000 feet..."   =D

Brad
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2014, 10:52:02 PM »

No, there does not have to be ability, opportunity, and jeopardy. Look in the use of deadly force statutes for any state and you won't find the words "ability," "opportunity," or "jeopardy." What you will find is pretty much what Brad cited from Texas law: "Fear of imminent serious bodily injury or death." I've seen at least one state that used the word "grievous" instead of "serious," but the intent is the same.

The way that plays out in not resulting in localized free fire zones around nervous Nellies is that the phrase is usually preceded by  the word "reasonably," as in "the actor reasonably fears death or imminent bodily harm ..." What that means is, in court the shooter's story that he (or she) was in fear of death or serious injury is subjected to what the lawyers call the "reasonable man" test. All that is, is to have the members of the jury ask themselves if a hypothetical "reasonable man" would have had the same perception of fear under the same circumstances.

And because this determination depends on the totality of the circumstances, there simply can't be any hard and fast rule as to when you can or can't use deadly force to defend yourself. The best you can do is read the law in your state, understand it, and do your best to avoid having to test it in court.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2014, 11:13:12 PM »
Obviously, if the assailant is unarmed, a gun would escalate the situation, so you can only use a taserer or mace gas.
--Derp

During the Trayvon!!!11 kerfuffle, I seem to remember there were some people on the 'netses saying that an unarmed person "might just want a fist-fight." That still cracks me up and angers me at the same time.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2014, 12:23:15 AM »

Brad
Yes, and there was a test case in the 90's from Dallas I think where a guy shot a bigger man who was laying into him with fists.  It was proven in court that fists can cause serious bodily injury.  The guy was acquitted.  I think it was a road rage incident where two commercial trucks bumped mirrors on a jammed freeway.  The defendant jumped out and started his accident report and the other guy started hitting him against his door.  He managed to reach into his truck to get his pistol and shot the guy. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2014, 12:35:32 AM »
I started but didn't finish ...   =(

They got a pill for that.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2014, 09:02:30 AM »
This is another situation where "can" and "should" are two different things.  By that I mean that under the law, as mentioned above, an armed person can validly fire in self defense against an "unarmed" assailant.  Where the problem occurs is with the jury.  I've seen mention above that people think in terms of "just a fist fight."  Television and the movies all too often show a guy getting kicked full force in the side of the head, jumping to his feet, and suffering no ill effects.  Reality isn't so easy.  The problem is that a jury is made up of people, many of whom were educated on issues of violence by television and movies.  Hollywood rarely shows the hero getting punched once in the face, knocked unconscious, and suffering a concussion or worse as a result.  This creates a real problem for an armed citizen who goes to a gun against fists and/or feet.  It may be difficult to convince a jury otherwise.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark