Author Topic: Android question  (Read 219 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Android question
« on: March 05, 2023, 06:53:49 PM »
I have a bubble level app on a Samsung tablet that works well and does exactly what I need. I'd like to get the same app on my cell phone, but it doesn't appear to be available from the Play Store any more.

Is there a simple way to copy a single app from a Samsung tablet to a Samsung smartphone? Something that an Android idiot like me can do, without crashing either device?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Android question
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2023, 07:11:53 PM »
I typed bubble level for android into the Play Store and came up with a bunch of apps.

bob

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2023, 07:19:08 PM »
No.

The play store filters results based on what works on the hardware you are using. If you can't find the same app it's likely it won't work well on your phone.

Your best bet is to search "level" or "bubble level" in the play store on your phone and pick a free one.  You might have to try a couple to find the next one you love.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2023, 07:25:07 PM »
To answer your question, yes you can extract the APK file, and install it on your phone.

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=apk+extractor&c=apps

Your phone had to have the right sensors for a level to work, some don't.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2023, 08:58:29 PM »
The play store filters results based on what works on the hardware you are using. If you can't find the same app it's likely it won't work well on your phone.

Your best bet is to search "level" or "bubble level" in the play store on your phone and pick a free one.  You might have to try a couple to find the next one you love.

Already tried several others. They don't cut it.

The tablet with the app I want is on Android 5.11 (Lollipop), and can't be updated beyond that. The phone is on 8.1.0, has more RAM and more storage, so that's not the problem.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2023, 09:08:31 PM »
Update -- found out why I can't find it. In addition to the tablet, I have the same app on a cheap, burner phone I keep on my desk for testing apps. No SIM card, so it has never been used as a phone, but it's an okay test bed.

When I fired up the app on the burner phone, it popped up a screen asking me to give it a 5-start rating. When I clicked okay, it took me into the Play Store ... where I discovered that the app is one of the ones I tested this afternoon, except that the current version is an update to what I have installed. And the updated version is just awful in comparison to the original.

So I know I can stop looking. Now I just have to figure out if I'm smart enough to use one of those .APK grabbers to download the app and install it on another device.