Author Topic: Reform Jews Clueless On Guns  (Read 20193 times)

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
Reform Jews Clueless On Guns
« on: October 21, 2005, 12:42:36 PM »
I realize that is hardly news.  But they put out a statement against HR 800 (protection of lawful commerce) as follows:

Washington, October 17, 2005  In anticipation of the upcoming vote in the House of Representatives on The Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act (HR 800), Rabbi Marla J. Feldman, Director of the Commission of Social Action of Reform Judaism, and Jane Wishner, Chairperson, Commission of Social Action of Reform Judaism, issued the following letter urging House leaders to oppose the bill. The complete letters follows:

Dear House Leadership,

We are writing on behalf of the Commission on Social Action of Reform Judaism, which represents more than 900 congregations, 1,800 rabbis and encompasses 1.5 million Reform Jews throughout North America, to strongly urge you to oppose The Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act (HR 800),  sponsored by Cliff Stearns (R-FL).

HR 800 would grant sweeping legal immunity to the gun industry, preventing victims of gun violence from seeking justice in our nations courts.  The Senate has already passed its version of this bill (S. 397), making it increasingly important that you oppose this bill when it comes to vote this week.

The Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act would provide the gun industry with unprecedented immunity from lawsuits brought by victims of gun violence, governments, and civic organizations for civil damages based on the misuse of a firearm.  The bill immunizes all arms of the gun industry  manufacturers, dealers, distributors, and importers  from lawsuits, including dealers who negligently sell guns to traffickers.  This bill would also require an immediate dismissal of pending lawsuits, which would strip victims of the D.C. area sniper attack, along with many others, of their rights.  If H.R. 800 passes, the gun industry will be the only industry in the United States with such broad protection from legal responsibility for its actions.  In a nation where nearly 30,000 people die from gun violence each year, this legislation would remove a major incentive for gun manufacturers and dealers to make their products safer, improve their distribution practices, and keep guns out of the hands of criminals and children.

The Talmud teaches that he who takes one life it is as though he has destroyed the universe and he who saves one life it is as though he has saved the universe.  The carelessness and ease by which guns take human life directly violate these affirmations of Jewish principle.

The Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act (H.R. 800) is a reckless attempt to provide unique legal protection to the gun industry at the expense of innocent Americans.  We urge you to oppose this bill and protect the legal rights of victims of gun violence.

Sincerely,
    /s/
    Rabbi Marla J. Feldman
    Director, Commission on Social Action of Reform Judaism

/s/
    Jane Wishner
    Chairperson, Commission on Social Action of Reform Judaism
My email to them:

Hi,
While I have always considered the Reform Movement clueless on Jewish issues, the recent letter opposing HR 800 is a spectacular example of cluelessness and knee-jerk reactions. The factual mistakes in the statement are matched only by the ignorance in the assumptions made.
To start: the bill, which passed fortunately, outlaws only suits against manufacturers stemming from third party actions. If a manufacturer made an unsafe product it would still be liable for all civil penalties that any other manufacturer would be liable for. This bill does not change that.
The bill was necessary because municipalities and others have targeted the firearms industry in an attempt to bankrupt them out of existence through junk lawsuits. These lawsuits are based on the premise that the manufacturer has some control over how anyone else will use the product. That is a false premise. If I assault someone with a copy of Gates of Prayer who is responsible, me or the Reform Movement which published the book? Obviously the attacker, the tool of the assault is merely that, a tool. Jewish Law recognizes this concept of strict liability as well.
The letter states that "HR 800 would grant sweeping legal immunity to the gun industry, preventing victims of gun violence from seeking justice in our nations courts.." It does no such thing. Any victim may seek justice from his attacker in any way currently available to him. The bill does prohibit the victim from seeking a cash jackpot from a third party with no control over the end user of their product. This would be the first time I have heard of cash jackpots referred to as "justice." I do not know what kind of justice it is that punishes people for acts committed by others. It is hardly the Justice the Torah refers to in "tzedek, tzedek tirdof."
More, the letter states, "The carelessness and ease by which guns take human life directly violate these affirmations of Jewish principle." Guns do not take human life. Poison does not take human life. Bombs do not take human life. Only human beings purposefully take human life. I will add that firearms have been shown to be useful in protecting human life as well, maybe thousands of times a year.
The hostility of liberal Jews to firearms is shocking in light of the history of our people. We are a prominent people here and elsewhere and are often singled out for attack by anti semites. The tragedy of the Buford Furrow attacks could have been averted had someone on the scene had a gun to stop him with. Self-defense is not only a basic human right but a basic principle enshrined in the Torah. To deny people the tools to accomplish that right is tantamount to leaving them helpless and dependent.
Finally the letter states, "In a nation where nearly 30,000 people die from gun violence each year, this legislation would remove a major incentive for gun manufacturers and dealers to make their products safer, improve their distribution practices, and keep guns out of the hands of criminals and children." This is pathetic. The bill does nothing to encourage criminals or children to get guns. The bill deals solely with civil penalties. Criminal misuse of a firearm is already the subject of many statutes, none of which is nullified by this bill. I worked in a gun store are one time. I am well aware of the procedures for purchasing firearms. Criminals do not get them from stores unless they steal them. If someone stole your car from your garage and ran into a school should you be held responsible? No, I dont think so. Neither do this bill's authors.
In all, my only source of glee is that not only did this bill pass but others opposed by the anti gun lobby are well on their way. The arguments of those favoring gun control have been shown to be invalid and politically unpopular.
Thank you and Gut Moed,
Like it'll do any good.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 12:45:02 PM »
represents more than 900 congregations, 1,800 rabbis and encompasses 1.5 million Reform Jews throughout North America
Wow, that's news to me.  I didn't realize I was "encompassed" by this blissninny organization.  It's always nice when people I loathe claim to represent me.

Oleg Volk

• Administrator
    • Volkstudio Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2005, 12:58:04 PM »
Same here: these people better stop claiming to replresent me, esle I would have to sue them.

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005, 01:09:36 PM »
Quote from: Azrael256
represents more than 900 congregations, 1,800 rabbis and encompasses 1.5 million Reform Jews throughout North America
Wow, that's news to me.  I didn't realize I was "encompassed" by this blissninny organization.  It's always nice when people I loathe claim to represent me.
Like a divorce attorney?  J'k.

If someone is a member of a Reform Temple they are members of this crapulous group as well.  I guess that is 1.5M people.  They should say "1.5M and shrinking" which is the truth, but Truth is a stranger in a Reform congregation.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2005, 02:44:20 PM »
Quote: The Talmud teaches that he who takes one life it is as though he has destroyed the universe and he who saves one life it is as though he has saved the universe.  

Interesting how they completely ignore the second half of that sentence vis-a-vis defensive gun use.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2005, 06:41:08 PM »
Maybe they think it could never happen here.

Maybe they think "Never again!" is a greeting card slogan.

Then again, maybe they don't think at all.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2005, 10:10:47 PM »
I take it Azrael and Oleg are Reform?

Members of the United Methodist church (Bush, Cheney) find themselves in similar states of bad company on the gun issue.

http://archives.umc.org/interior.asp?ptid=4&mid=937
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2005, 11:24:02 PM »
I think I'm reform.  I'm not really sure.

Sad to say, it was the Reform movement this time, Rebbe, but we're not the only branch to have forgotten history, or turn a blind eye to reality.  

We are a hardheaded people, slow to learn.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Preacherman

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2005, 03:15:20 AM »
Oleg's not yet Reformed...  but I'm working on him!  Wink
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

matis

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2005, 05:15:01 AM »
Good for you Rabbi.

And, as you said, a lot of good it will do.

As professionals, doctors, lawyers, scientists, or as business men they may be capable of very clear thinking.

But regarding religion and politics I have found that they use the brainpower they have to build castles in the air.

For most of my life as an atheist (I still don't pretend to be a believer), I understood there to be only three positions with respect to G-d: He exists, He doesn't exist, I don't know.

The Reform (and pretty much the Conservative Jews, I'm afraid) have invented a fourth position: The Creator of all that is does himself exist (gee thanks), but WE can amend (improve) his Torah.

Except for the fact that we, I and they, are all Jews, I never could find common ground with them.  I used to ridicule them for believing in G-d.

Now that my position has shifted, it's still all I can do to keep from ridiculing them.  Because I have realized that whatever my own position may have moved to, they DON'T believe in G-d.  At least not in the G-d of our fathers.

How can the Creator of all that exists be weak (Why Bad Things Happen To Good People)?

And how can His creation, with it's human-scale brain-power, wonderful as it indeed is, understand reality sufficiently to instruct G-d on improvements?

I've read that some of their congregations actually vote on whether to drive to shul on Shabbos!  They are completely oblivious to the absurdity involved: even if they vote NOT to drive on Shabbos, they are desecrating G-d's Name.  If they do believe in G-d then theirs must be some reduced version.  And Jews are strictly forbidden from worshipping idols.

I think their main point of confusion is that Judaism and convenience are compatible concepts.

Their politics is sunk in the same execrable confusion.

For me it is painful consolation that, as you wrote in an earlier post, they fail at passing their watered-down values on to their children.  After shockingly few generations, their children are no longer Jews.

Or is it that they SUCCEED at passing their values on and their children want little part of them.

Exellent post, Rabbi. And you WERE banging your head on the wall.

matis
Si vis pacem; para bellum.

matis

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2005, 05:35:06 AM »
Quote:
Oleg's not yet Reformed...  but I'm working on him!  wink (Preacherman)

Preacherman I have the greatest respect for Oleg and I won't presume to speak for him.

But speaking strictly for myself, if you understood what you were saying, you wouldn't make a joke in such poor taste.

However, if you will permit me to use the word,  there IS a saving grace in this:  some Jews joke that Christianity IS a kind of reform Judaism (isn't it?).

This is in NO WAY meant as an insult, at least not to Christians.  I, as a Jew,  have deep respect for BELIEVING Christians.

I think that unless believing Christians and believing Jews unite in committing their strength to the cause, there will be no saving the values that built America and all of western civilization.

Thankfully, the backlash has begun.  But the outcome is far from certain.

matis

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2005, 06:30:22 AM »
So, according to the good rabbi, Cain slew Able with a Glock, not a rock?

Does evil reside in the hearts of man or in inert mechincal devices?

I do not understand this position.  I went to a Jewish law school and talked with people that thought like this.  I cannot understand why people who have a history of everyone in the world wanting them exterminated that they would render themselves helpless for any reason.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2005, 08:13:49 AM »
Members of the United Methodist church (Bush, Cheney) find themselves in similar states of bad company on the gun issue.
Irony time... I attend Oklahoma City University.  We're serving the community in the United Methodist tradition or somesuch.

El T, it baffles me as well.  When the green police show up at my door, I will probably die in the fight, but I'm taking a few of them with me.  It makes some sense that if I can kill two or three of them, they'll realize that the numbers are not in their favor.  It would be nice if more Jews realized this.

matis

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2005, 08:47:39 AM »
Oh, And since, " ...one might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb."

As far as I'm concerned, Rabbi Marla -- isn't.

I don't think that legitimate smicha (ordination) can be extended to women.

So, to me, a female rabbi or minister is just a confused woman wearing funny clothes.

matis

grampster

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2005, 09:19:27 AM »
Matis,
     Convenience and Christianity seem to be thought compatible to many as well.  Convenience may be the latest heresy both in religion and in the secular world.  Some religionists seek to twist their holy books to promote and accomodate the god of Convenience rather than accomodating their lives to the timeless truth of sacred books.  I notice the same is true with reference to our Constitution.

I also agree with Rabbi's response to the thoughtless drivel he critiques.  Sadly, those who spout the drivel are to arrogant to be thoughtful regarding an opposing viewpoint, even though that viewpoint is steeped in logic.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2005, 03:37:59 PM »
Quote from: Preacherman
In Yiddish that's called a "toit in bankess"

Matis, cut Preacherman some slack.  I know both these characters personally and never had anything but respect from both, which I hope I reciprocate.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2005, 04:21:26 PM »
Quote from: The Rabbi
Quote from: Preacherman
In Yiddish that's called a "toit in bankess"

Matis, cut Preacherman some slack.  I know both these characters personally and never had anything but respect from both, which I hope I reciprocate.
I'm not 100% certain what Matis thought Preacheman meant, but I took it to mean that he was joking that he was going to "reform" Oleg in the bahavioural sense, rather than convert him to a different religion or sect.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2005, 04:43:51 PM »
Quote from: matis
However, if you will permit me to use the word,  there IS a saving grace in this:  some Jews joke that Christianity IS a kind of reform Judaism (isn't it?).

This is in NO WAY meant as an insult, at least not to Christians.  I, as a Jew,  have deep respect for BELIEVING Christians.

I think that unless believing Christians and believing Jews unite in committing their strength to the cause, there will be no saving the values that built America and all of western civilization.

matis
I don't find it insulting, and I don't think very many Christians who are up on the history of their faith should - Although I'm sure there are more than a handful who have underlying racial issues who would.  

the apostle Paul (Jewish by birth) chastening gentile Christians who thought they were better than the Jews

I ask then: Did God reject his people? By no means! I am an Israelite myself, a descendant of Abraham, from the tribe of Benjamin...If some of the branches have been broken off, and you, though a wild olive shoot, have been grafted in among the others and now share in the nourishing sap from the olive root, do not boast over those branches. If you do, consider this: You do not support the root, but the root supports you. You will say then, "Branches were broken off so that I could be grafted in." Granted. But they were broken off because of unbelief, and you stand by faith. Do not be arrogant, but be afraid. For if God did not spare the natural branches, he will not spare you either. Consider therefore the kindness and sternness of God: sternness to those who fell, but kindness to you, provided that you continue in his kindness. Otherwise, you also will be cut off. And if they do not persist in unbelief, they will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again. After all, if you were cut out of an olive tree that is wild by nature, and contrary to nature were grafted into a cultivated olive tree, how much more readily will these, the natural branches, be grafted into their own olive tree! Romans 11

I agree wholeheartedly with your last statement, and would broaden it to include a lot of other folks.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Oleg Volk

• Administrator
    • Volkstudio Blog
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2005, 07:26:55 PM »
I am not religious, I was only referring to organizations like ADL presuming to speak on behalf of all Jews, religious or not.

matis

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2005, 09:34:55 PM »
The Rabbi said:

OK, ok, maybe I'm a bit touchy, sometimes.

And it's obvious that Oleg is too smart to get entangled in this one.

matis

SalukiFan

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2005, 01:36:51 AM »
I agree that the leadership of the Reform movement is wrong about gun issues.  Considering our history, you would think that they would realize that disarming people does not make them safe from predators but apparently, they have come to a different conclusion.  

That said, I think that your letter gets an A for logic and an F for persuasion, Rabbi.  I realize that youre teed off about this attack on HR 800, but kicking off the letter by saying that you think the Reform movement is clueless on Jewish issues more likely to get your letter regulated to the trash than to get it read and understood.  You make several good points about liability and the pursuit of justice, I just hope that they read far enough to find them.  

Have you considered asking your rabbi to write a letter about why gun control is detrimental to the RAC?  Im considering talking to my rabbi to see if she would be interested in sending a letter.  I hate to say it, but I think that they would be more likely to pay attention to something from another rabbi (even a Reconstructionist or Orthodox rabbi) than anything that any of us regular folks who arent affiliated with the URJ would send.

Matis, wow, you sound upset!  I understand that you would like to see more people follow what you consider traditional Judaism because you see it as the only authentic expression of Judaism.  I would argue that more liberal Jewish movements enable people that would otherwise be completely disconnected from Jewish tradition to practice daily observance and celebrate holidays and lifecycle events.  

I dont want to assume too much but I gather that you are not yourself observant?  If the reason that you are not yourself observant is because you believe that the only choices are either being a Chassid or being an apostate, I would encourage you to reconsider.  There are many wonderful ways to practice Judaism and incorporate Jewish traditions and ethics into your life.  Many sincere Jews in non-Orthodoxy who have studied the Torah and Talmud have found evidence that G-d speaks to each generation in a way that is relevant to the issues that they face.  IMHO, Judaism did not survive for thousands of years by being a my way or the highway religion.  

As far as not believing that a womans smicha is legitimate, well what can I say:  Apparently, G-d thought enough of Miriam to make her a prophet and enough of Dvorah to make her a judge so Im not sure why having women as rabbis is such a stretch.

Chag Sameach,

SalukiFan

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2005, 03:59:58 AM »
Nothing is going to persuade those people.  Merely expressing displeasure is about as much as I can get in.  Because I signed off in Yiddish they probably think I am some crank Satmar or Neturei Karta member.
I disagree that liberal strains have given Jews something rather than nothing.  It is like a person with a bad infection who goes to a witch doctor instead of taking antibiotics.  He thinks he is getting treated when in fact his actions make the condition worse.  If he did nothing he would at least know he was doing nothing.  In any case the difference between Orthodoxy and liberal versions of Judaism has nothing to do with the number of mitzvos performed.  More, not all Orthodoxy is hassidism and there is plenty of diversity in the Orthodox camp.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2005, 04:24:19 AM »
Back on topic:  Rabbi, fantastic email.  In fact, it's too good to waste as an email.  Perhaps you could forward the same message as a letter to the editor of a news magazine ?

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2005, 08:08:00 AM »
I'm astounded by the "True Jew" commentary that goes on here.

If I'm this much of a blot on Judaism, I might as well go get Baptized, right?
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

matis

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2005, 08:35:58 AM »
Quote by Salukifan:
 IMHO, Judaism did not survive for thousands of years by being a my way or the highway religion.

As far as not believing that a womans smicha is legitimate, well what can I say:  Apparently, G-d thought enough of Miriam to make her a prophet and enough of Dvorah to make her a judge so Im not sure why having women as rabbis is such a stretch.

Salukifan,
It's a terrible stretch -- a fatal one.  And the survival of Judaism is exactly what is at issue.

Some time ago I posted regarding a study I read about in Moment magazine, which is hardly an Orthodox forum.

The study involved going back 100 years, finding 200 members in each of 5 groups of Jews: secular, Reform, Conservative, Orthodox and Chassidic.

They traced the descendents to see how many in each group were still Jewish.  The results were to me, shocking, and confirmed my growing devotion and love for Orthodox and Chassidic (Chabad) Judaism.

These were the results of the study (from memory): of the secular Jews only 2-3 remained Jewish after 100 years; of the Reform 4-5; of the Conservative 7-8; of the Orthodox Jews the 200 had become 800 and of the Chassidim 200 had become 5000!  All the rest in the first three groups -- fell away!

So Reform Judaism, or any other watered-down form, is hardly the way to Jewish survival.

And I have no problem at all with female Prophets or Judges.  It's only fake rabbis that trouble me.  But don't feel bad; I don't consider male Reform Rabbis legitimate, either.

The point is that conforming Judaism (or any other religion including Christianity) to modern times -- that is tearing out the core beliefs to render it convenient, is a sure way to destroy it.

It's one thing for Judaism to change to incorporate modern technology.  Few religious groups have adopted technology as has Chabad, for instance.  Try typing in www.chabadincyberspace.com (or is it .org?) and see what you get.  A Chabad Rabbi will light a Menorah in, say, Sidney or Toronto, and the event is instantaneously beamed to hundreds of locations, worldwide.

But as my Rabbi told me when I first fell in with these "religious fanatics", Judaism is a closed canon.   In other words they REALLY believe that Torah is the word of G-d.  And if it is, who are we to improve it?

On the other hand, I've had Reform Jews tell me that the Torah is only a story, a myth.  Fine.  But then why do they call themselves Jews?  Why not just very up-to-date people whose ancestors were Jewish?

That I am not myself observant is a long story that would belong in a different venue.  Sometimes I think that venue might be psychiatric (grin).  But then the word, Israel, does mean "struggle with G-d", doesn't it?

Personally, I may struggle, but miracles do happen: I managed to convince my ex-wife NOT to convert when my precious daughter was less than 3 years old.  My desperation about this was a large part of my motivation to fall in with Chabad.

It took me nearly 5 years, but I got her to return to our city with our child, with whom I never lost contact, to remarry me and they both became Chabadniks.  She has since divorced me again (I guess I'm hard to live with -- you picked it up -- "it's my way or the highway").  But we are close, we shared the home-schooling of our daughter, and they are both Chassidim.  My daughter now attends Yeshivah in Connecticut.  Next year she will study in Israel.  But she takes walks on the Yale campus.  And she say that after earning her Bachelors, she wants to study law at Yale.

Where other 17 year olds wheedle trash CDs and DVDs from their fathers, my kid worked on me for a full set of Mitnik Chumashim (5 books of Torah).  They're expensive.  But if I may be permitted the expression, I thanked G-d for her (she was  his 50th birthday present to me). Look at WHAT she is wheedling out of me!

The Chassidim say that G-d cries when one of his children is lost.

As a one-time militant atheist, I'd have to say he sure cut me a terrific break, didn't he?

Contrary to what the feminists believe, Judaism teaches reverence for women.  They are the main-stay of Jewish life.  And it doesn't matter who your father was.  It is ONLY if your MOTHER was Jewish that you are a Jew.

Chag Sameach,

matis