Author Topic: Harley V-rod/night rod, etc owners?  (Read 2713 times)

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re: Harley V-rod/night rod, etc owners?
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2014, 08:47:12 PM »
Welp. I'm prepping my 2012 V-strom adventure for sale now... Wife said yes to the Night Rod
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2014, 09:53:25 PM »
Congratulations, I think.  :P   ;)

The V Rod is a nice looking bike, and an example of the power that can be gleaned from a V twin if so inclined. Shopping for a better seat yet, you may have someone on the back every now and then. 

bob

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2014, 10:22:03 PM »
Congratulations, I think.  :P   ;)

The V Rod is a nice looking bike, and an example of the power that can be gleaned from a V twin if so inclined. Shopping for a better seat yet, you may have someone on the back every now and then. 

bob

The V-rod is still down on power, KTM's 1150cc twin is 150hp,  and Ducati's 1198 in the Diavel is 160.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

BobR

• friend
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2014, 10:28:59 PM »
The V-rod is still down on power, KTM's 1150cc twin is 150hp,  and Ducati's 1198 in the Diavel is 160.

But, for a normally anemic V Twin out of Milwaukee, it is respectable. If you want to see what can really be done take a look at Eric Buell Racing. IIRC he is getting 186hp out of the 76ci engine.

bob

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Harley V-rod/night rod, etc owners?l
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2014, 12:06:10 AM »
Look at the maintenance intervals and what constitutes periodic maintenance on the V-Rod. My understanding is that it's a fairly short interval with some extensive work to be done.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2014, 09:33:21 AM »
122 hp is pretty good for a cruiser. Comparing it to sportbike motors isn't really a valid comparison
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2014, 10:13:23 AM »
V-Rods are nifty.

Unfortunately, being a Harley, they will never be cheap enough for me. In our parts, the oldest and most used Vrods start at $6000. A Harley never hits "cheap junk" stage any more, it goes straight from "slightly used" to "classic" no matter the condition.

Barring a sudden unforeseen increase in my fortunes, I'll have to stick to old Yamahas and incremental improvements. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing. My FJ is damn awesome, scars and everything.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2014, 03:55:05 PM »
Lawd they get expensive when you start adding options.

With the vance and hines competition series exhaust, the nicer seat, the backrest for the wifey, the tuner, the flyscreen.... it's almost 23k with a 5 year.

I'm meh on warrantees. I've dealt with some that I've thought were awesome. Others, not so much. Gonna do some googling on harley's
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

BobR

• friend
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2014, 05:03:16 PM »
The Rocket is not the only cruiser type Triumph makes, there is also the Thunderbird series, of which the Thunderbird LT probably has everything you want, except it comes up a little less on the power vs a V Rod.

I was surprised a few years ago at how agressive Triumph has become in the cruiser market, they just don't have the dealer network to support them like HD does.

Of course, the Triump after market (dealer) accessories is less than HD, and probably just as expensive. I am not sure if you can load a new MAP into the Thunderbird ECU or not, Triumph has locked down some of them.

bob

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2014, 11:35:41 PM »
SPAMMY SPAM SPAM SPAMMY SPAM

Go to hell, spambot
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2014, 01:55:17 PM »
I like Spam.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?