Author Topic: SAAB 900  (Read 1628 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
SAAB 900
« on: February 07, 2006, 02:34:13 PM »
Any experience here with the SAAB 900?

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
SAAB 900
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 02:52:06 PM »
What year?

Scott

SAAB 900
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 08:11:23 PM »
Turbo or non, if non is it a V-6? I'm an import technician who is reasonably fluent in Swedish.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
SAAB 900
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 06:47:30 AM »
Am currently on my 3rd one, the first two were driven until the wheels fell off. (one with 190K the second with 220K , the current one, it's really a 9-3, has 85K).

Mrs Scout prefers the 9000's and is currently driving a 9-5 wagon.

Had mine in for a oil change last week, and left drool puddles around the 9-7 SUV they had in the showroom.

Whadda wanna know about Saab's Huh??
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
SAAB 900
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 08:37:05 AM »
Older 900s, 4 cylinder, turbo.
Also, what about early 90s 9000s?
Any good?  I'm selling my truck soon, and I want to get another older euro car. I miss my bmw and my volvos

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
SAAB 900
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 09:22:26 AM »
Way back when I was in high school, my mom dated a decent fellow who owned a 900 turbo.  I got to drive it (he didn't trust HIS son to drive it, however).  I liked it ...a lot.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

SAAB 900
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 10:12:43 AM »
Anything originated in Gothenborg, Sweden is fine with me.  I drive the old 200 series Volvos only because I experienced them first, but the Saab engineers in the early days would often work in one plant this year and the Volvo plant next year; so they are from a design and approach standpoint, very similar.  Simple design, solid reliability, safe and a joy to drive.  I'd buy either.

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
SAAB 900
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2006, 10:34:31 AM »
Had an 84 900 for a while; nice car, a little on the large/ heavy side for a plain 4-banger. I understand that the 900T was quite quick.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
SAAB 900
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2006, 10:41:17 AM »
Felonious Fig, I'm with you on the Volvo 200s.  I've had two, loved them both.  My sister and brother had one they shared.  They just recently got rid of it.  The odometer broke at 468,,  a year ago.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
SAAB 900
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2006, 11:19:17 AM »
Kinda like buying a used gun, depends on who owned it and how it was maintained.

If halfway decently cared for they're great cars.   For us, we traded ours in when they go the point of needing a lot of work done.  "Well Mr Scout, it needs tires, brakes, rotors, clutch, shocks, ball joints, gaskets, battery, etc, etc."  So it was,  sink a couple of G's into a 8-10 year old car or trade it in a new one with all the bells and whistles Huh???

Ours never misses a scheduled maintenace, that what makes 'em last, IMHO.  (That and keeping them in a garage here in Chicago, adds at least 3-5 years to a cars life.)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Norton

• friend
SAAB 900
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2006, 01:45:04 PM »
I had an '87 for a few years.  Fun car, very nimble but underpowered without the turbo.  I'd think that if you're looking at a 900T it will be pretty fast.

Saabs are pretty notorious for messed up electrical problems.  Mine was no exception.  If it rained, it would cut out and hesitate.  Ultimately this is why I got rid of it......it stalled in the middle of the road with traffic bearing down on me and nearly got me killed.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
SAAB 900
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2006, 07:21:48 PM »
Had one long ago, I think it was a '79. First off, if you are going to hotwire it after the key mechanism breaks, pay attention and do not leave the starter hot lead twisted into the bundle or else you will smell something funny in a few miles...Which leads to: Changing starters on a 900T is a bitch! I cheated by not removing pretty much the entire exhaust like the book says, once loose it took me about an hour to figure out how to get the starter out of the hole I had to work with. This is of course after I drove it for two months as a daily driver with no starter. I love manual trannies!

Mine was a hoot, one of my first cars and it got bombed down a bunch of gravel roads at night at high speed. When it came to me the fuel metering system had been replaced by a manual valve under the hood. This, coupled with a turbo that had a not so functional wastegate made it go pretty good. Later the oil seals in the turbo started to go from all this abuse, my advice is to keep the revs up to maintain exhaust back pressure. I drove it like that for about 6 months, if it dropped to idle a military smokescreen would ensue. Used that intentionally a couple of times.

A lesson from long before I owned it. My dad was going to show me all about handbrake turns. (This from a man that would loop his VW rabbit every time he came in the driveway, same guy that bet he could 360 a company 1/2ton chevy in a two rut driveway. He got 270 before the big flip...) Anyway, so there we are, snow cover backroads, T intersection, high rate of speed. Did you know Saab puts the handbrake on the front wheels? Neither did my dad.... Cheesy

Oh well, no useful knowledge, just good memories.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Scott

SAAB 900
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2006, 09:06:25 PM »
900SPG's (turbo with suspension upgrades) are wicked fast. Thus bringing me to the one thing I dislike about Saabs they are front wheel drive and I prefer RWD so I can point and shoot. Otherwise as Scout said maintenance is key. Get a prepurchase inspection done by someone who knows Saabs and plan on using them for service. Saab can be a bit quirky in spots and it will save you money in the long run to deal with an individual who is knowledgable in the brand. French also brings up a good point... Synthetic oils work better in turbocharged cars. It has a higher vaporization point which helps keep the turbine bearings and seals lubricated instead of a solid and abrasive ball of carbon. A turbo timer or some patience can be a good thing as well. I used to have a Volvo 240T I autocrossed and I would let it idle for 2 or 3 minutes after a run so the turbo got a chance to slow down and cooled off.