Author Topic: Well, L&P at THR just got a good cleaning  (Read 2936 times)

cosine

• Administrator
Well, L&P at THR just got a good cleaning
« on: February 07, 2006, 04:01:02 PM »
Better keep civil and on topic in the L&P forum at THR. I've just watched Coronach lock down over a dozen threads in the last ten minutes.

Actually, it's been pretty funny seeing that long column of locks on the left side of the page. cheesy
Andy

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 04:34:49 PM »
Holy crap! You weren't kidding! Well, it did need some cleansing....
Still, good grief!
Hi.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 04:38:23 PM »
Apparently he's mad as hell and he ain't gonna take it anymore!

Wink
Avoid cliches like the plague!

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 04:46:06 PM »
I'll say, I did like many of the topics that got closed down, and did learn quite a bit from them. We'll just have to get people to start posting those topics here instead of on THR.
Andy

LawDog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 04:59:22 PM »
Quote from: Coronach
We have noted that the civility of L&P has been plummeting of late.
Might be worth paying attention to.

LawDog

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 05:02:20 PM »
Quote from: LawDog
Quote from: Coronach
We have noted that the civility of L&P has been plummeting of late.

LawDog
I noticed that too, and tried to keep civil. I expect that posting civilly will be easier when threads are on-topic for L&P.
Andy

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 05:39:39 PM »
I don't have any problems with what happened.  The thing I don't get is that there were moderators posting in some of those threads without locking them.  Another thing;  has anyone seen a thread locked because it was too long before?  That's a new one to me.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 05:56:19 PM »
My thread lasted 14 minutes longer than I thought it would.

TexasRifleman

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2006, 05:58:11 PM »
Glad to see it finally.
It was getting to be a bit much.

Old Dog

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2006, 05:58:31 PM »
It certainly does seem of late that almost every thread degenerated into some type of us vs. them, you vs. me deal ...
-- Will

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2006, 05:59:57 PM »
WTH!  What a load of %#$!$# BILGE!  You take that back you no good low down (*@^!%  Wink

I think the cleaning in L&P on THR was overdue.  We HAD been drifting in topics from the primary intent of that sub forum, and I too had been noticing an increase in the venom spewed about during the "discussions".

Dannyboy:  I've seen 'em locked when the got long and were running over the same ground again and again and again, or drifting away from the starting topic.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2006, 06:01:48 PM »
Quote from: garyk/nm
My thread lasted 14 minutes longer than I thought it would.
Probably because just as you posted it Coronach went offline. He probably didn't see it before he logged off.
Andy

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2006, 06:23:19 PM »
Thank goodness. Thanks, Coronach.

- NF
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2006, 06:28:24 PM »
I think the cleaning in L&P on THR was overdue.
Agreed.  Threads on the fate of CCW in WI were spot on for topic (and didn't get locked...  hmm...), but there has been a good pile of non gun related political BS going on as of late.  I've been out of L&P for awhile now because of it.

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2006, 06:57:23 PM »
Yup. For me, it's the PRNJ bashing that makes the place depressing. But I don't see a single instance of a thread that got locked that I think shouldn't have.

- NF
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2006, 07:16:07 PM »
I also agree a wake-up call was needed. I think for the most part over the years, the moderators have given a lot of leeway topic-wise in L&P, and I think we all handled it well. Lately though, it's been worse than the Roundtable was before it was shutdown.

The lowest common denominator instigating trolls and temper losing name-callers (not to mention the easily offended "report this post" panic button hitting whiners) have now lost us that topic leeway.

And yes, I know my calling the name-callers names is hypocritical. Tongue
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2006, 07:38:36 PM »
I agree a Wake Up was needed and more needs to be done.

I shared with Oleg and Tamara via phone, others including Staff and Members -  that yes I know I am not the best representative of THR/TFL/APS.

Also shared-
THR has been sliding down a slippery slope for some time. Some new members have not been so good and makes me feel THR, and sister sites were targeted to disrupt the Misson Statements.

Read : THR and sister sites  is/are  a burr up their  butt and they want THR and sister sites tainted.

Does not take much to note a number of folks do not post as they used to at THR, including Staff.

For awhile Art, LawDog and others have politely asked, suggested some folks think about the core Mission Statement.

Okay if being nice don't work - get a baseball bat. Some folks listen better once you get their attention...

If folks recall APS was started because the Roundtable was a thorn. Granted some Staff liked THR, Some still dislike  the Roundtable. APS affords us Plankowners and new folks alike to discuss matters not under the THR Misson Statement.Non-firearm related matters if want.

My feeling is Attraction works better than Promotion at times on most things. So if a fence sitter reads about Cars, Computers and Music,  reads a different perception of Gun Owners - attracted to what read - then perhaps that fence sitter will consider our view on Pro-Gun stuff is good too.

Regards,

Steve

Ready on the Right

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2006, 07:38:40 PM »
I was tempted to start cutting and pasting every anti-Bush and anti-Hillary story onto L&P first thing every morning just to beat everyone to it.  

I was offline for a few months an I came back to an apparent flood of DNC and DEmocratic Underground types who had been given the mission to flood gun boards with drivel.  Of course "your candidate is worse" is not a convincing counter-argument for anyone.  The next few election cycles should be interesting.

Glad to see that THR is getting back to RKBA.
There is no such thing as a "deadly weapon", there are only deadly people.

Ready on the Right

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2006, 07:40:23 PM »
"Read : THR and sister sites  is/are  a burr up their  butt and they want THR and sister sites tainted."

Exactly!
There is no such thing as a "deadly weapon", there are only deadly people.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2006, 07:46:04 PM »
Now with most of the trouble out of the way, I hope we will be able to have topical and polite discussions in the L&P forum for a while, if not forever.
Andy

chud

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2006, 08:23:33 PM »
I'm new to THR (and here).  I wanted to post in the thread titled "Another armed incursion on U.S.-Mexico border" since I have some knowledge about what's going on down there; I live in San Antonio, have family in the Rio Grande Valley, and friends in Monterrey - but the thread was locked.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2006, 08:30:05 PM »
Quote from: chud
I'm new to THR (and here).  I wanted to post in the thread titled "Another armed incursion on U.S.-Mexico border" since I have some knowledge about what's going on down there; I live in San Antonio, have family in the Rio Grande Valley, and friends in Monterrey - but the thread was locked.
That thread was either off-topic or was too vitrolic to allow it to stay open if you found it locked.

If you really want to post what you know, post it here (in a new thread) with a link back to the thread at THR. We'll be able to see what the orginal topic was at THR, and will be able to also read what you wish to say.
Andy

Oleg Volk

• Administrator
    • Volkstudio Blog
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2006, 09:01:28 PM »
THR is a bit of a cooperative entity. The person who does the locking isn't always the initiator of the process, just the executor.

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2006, 09:47:56 PM »
Now with most of the trouble out of the way, I hope we will be able to have topical and polite discussions in the L&P forum for a while, if not forever.
That would be nice.
Hi.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2006, 10:46:05 PM »
Dang, I spend a couple of weeks moving and don't get by so much in the ensuing period and things start getting weirder.

Guess I need to spend less time *really* working and more time surfing between solving id10t calls. What little I'd been around there it did seem like there was a lot more balloon juice lately.  Guess I've gotten jaundiced in my advancing old age, but (seeing someone who has less) than a hundred posts over there or 'member since last month'  means I tend not to read what they say Cheesy .

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein