Author Topic: Well, L&P at THR just got a good cleaning  (Read 2937 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Well, L&P at THR just got a good cleaning
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2006, 01:56:28 AM »
but (seeing someone who has less) than a hundred posts over there or 'member since last month'  means I tend not to read what they say
My sentiments exactly. When I got myself all worked up over a certain CAPTAIN MIKE thread it was MAINLY because most of the ones who were being the rudest had minimal time and or posts under their belts and the WORST one had less than friggin' 10, something like his third post and he's calling people liars, BS etc...

It really frosted my ass cause it made the rest of us look like we're not so good (and I know differently).
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2006, 05:26:22 AM »
solving id10t calls.
Love that line. Heard it for the first time in a Server 2003 class a few weeks ago and started using it in the office. They haven't figured out what it means yet. Cheesy
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2006, 05:44:49 AM »
It's about time.  It's to the point that I was going to ask if there's a way to configure the forum software so that I can tell it "show me all new threads, but hide the L&P ones."

I get very tired of the "If you disagree with my position you're an evil bastard and should be taken out and shot" attitude.

Even if I am evil and some people think I should be taken out and shot, my parents are happily married thank you.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

WayneConrad

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2006, 08:17:20 AM »
Thank you, mods.  Thank you.

RealGun

• friend
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2006, 10:32:07 AM »
I very much like the idea of cleaning up THR L&P, but now I am confused. I believe the real need was to raise the level of civility...get back on the High Road. The part about what is an appropriate topic, i.e. one that would be passed by the mods, I suspect remains very arbitrary or will be defended as gun related by the thinnest of rationales. Economics for example is a favored topic. To say that it is gun related is pretty abstract. Some connection could be rationalized for anything that was favored.

As long as it is entirely civil, juvenile pejoratives and vitriol omitted, the actual connection to guns is not critical. Allowing the full range of civil liberties covers a lot of territory. I would rather be either strict or lenient, not arbitrary, never knowing what will pass and what won't. The THR charter has not been literally upheld before, so I am just wondering if anything has really changed.

If the intent was to finally declare that THR would be about guns, period, that is not yet clear to me.

It was also confusing to have on-topic threads closed because they were infested with poor behavior. I would hope that some of the same issues can be covered while having material believed substandard deleted.

QuickDraw

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2006, 03:27:42 PM »
I noticed that there was an awful lot of new members with
a join date of Dec 05 and less than 100 posts,usually less than
25.I don't know what boards they were used to,but it seems
alot of them just started off on the wrong foot.
Perhaps sm is correct,planned attack.
I don't know,but it was getting pretty crazy.I was even
thinking of handing in my membership card.
We'll see.

QuickDraw
"Stay the course"

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2006, 04:59:21 PM »
I was really curious when a flock of new members arrived and immediately started with L&P postings.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2006, 05:10:25 PM »
Hmmmm... did some other board bite the dust?

- NF
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2006, 05:02:54 AM »
RealGun, your comment "As long as it is entirely civil, juvenile pejoratives and vitriol omitted, the actual connection to guns is not critical. Allowing the full range of civil liberties covers a lot of territory." is well taken.

Trouble is, some folks apparently think in juvenile pejoratives and know nothing but vitriol.

I think I've finally discovered the world's most over-controlled substance:  GrowUp pills.  They're just not available for those who most need them.

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2006, 05:35:15 AM »
I think I've finally discovered the world's most over-controlled substance:  GrowUp pills.  They're just not available for those who most need them.
Now see Art, YOU'VE fallen into the trap that so much of our culture has.  Namely, looking for a external magic pill to solve all of ones ills.  The only way someone can grow up is from within.  However, such development is no longer favored in our society since while children can be controlled (even those that reside in mature bodies), true adults have this annoying habit of asking questions and thinking for themselves.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2006, 05:51:14 AM »
Smiley  Well, if the silly twits can't grow up from within, what's left?

Were I, as a moderator, to delete any and all inane, highschool-sophomoric posts in L&P, there would rarely be a thread of more than a page.

There's an awful lot of people out there that I'd like to buy for what they know, and sell for what they think they know.  I'd make Bill Gates look like chump change.

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.