Author Topic: Starship Voyager Home leads to Bankruptcy  (Read 1002 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Starship Voyager Home leads to Bankruptcy
« on: February 07, 2006, 07:32:03 PM »
Faaascinating....

--------------------
http://www.uberreview.com/2006/02/man-goes-bankrupt-building-starship.htm

Man goes broke over Star Trek home

A Star Trek fan has gone bankrupt after spending £12,000 turning his home into the Starship Voyager.

Tony Alleyne's flat in Hinckley, Leics, has moulded walls, touch-panel blue lighting and a life-size model of the show's transporter room.

He even built a command console, reshaped windows to look like portholes and set up vertical lights so he can pretend to be "beamed up".

He hoped his pad would tempt other Trekkies to pay him to convert their homes too.

He took out two huge loans and ran up debts of over £100,000 on 14 credit cards marketing his idea and paying for the merchandise and has filed for bankruptcy.

Tony, who split from his wife Georgina after he replaced their fridge with a "warp coil" said: "I was convinced Trekkies all over the world would want a house like mine and pay me to do it.

"But I was wrong and just overstretched. Building it in my apartment was the enjoyable and easy bit. But then I got hooked up with marketing and merchandise people here and in America and it all got out of hand.

"I'm still proud of what I created but it's been a financial disaster."
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 07:43:38 PM »
I find Star Trek kinda interesting, but I sure ain't building my house to look like one of their ships.
I'll bet most people feel the same way.
Andy

Justin

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 07:56:05 PM »
Pfft.

I could do a setup like Serenity for 1/10th the cost.

Go get a few moth-eaten couches from Goodwill, some steel cables from Home Depot, and some blue lighting gels from a theater supply company.

Done.

Of course, if you've got your heart set on Trek, there's always The Bridge{/url]
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 03:29:19 AM »
"I was convinced Trekkies all over the world would want a house like mine and pay me to do it.
I'd LOVE to have a house like is, PROVIDED the features actually functioned as depicted in Voyager.  That warp coil has to actually drive the home to crusing speed of warp 7, calling up the EMH really produces the Doctor to treat my ailments entertain me with his signing, and I can really fire up the holodeck and spend some quality time with Seven of Nine,  and Belana, and Kess.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 03:45:17 AM »
Set phasers on creepy.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 03:50:36 AM »
Please, you can have all the rest, but 7 of 9 is mine! Tongue

I r3emember her saying once that the first costumes for that part were too tight and she almost fainted. My thoughts were the first time I SAW her in that costume, I almost fainted!

LOL...

Actually, in real life, she's kind of a geek. Sadly enough.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

SpookyPistolero

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 04:11:44 AM »
Quote from: El Tejon
Set phasers on creepy.
HAhahaha............
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2006, 05:21:56 AM »
I lke the Serenity Idea. You would just need to make sure some of the furniture breaks apart whenever you move it across the room.  Cheesy

Actually, in real life, she's kind of a geek.
I kinda like geeky girls, especially the ones that look like her. Cheesy
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."