Author Topic: Recruiter calling me at work  (Read 1140 times)

cfabe

• friend
Recruiter calling me at work
« on: February 08, 2006, 07:53:15 AM »
I got a call at work this morning from a recruiter saying "another company in the area is expanding, are you interested, yadda yadda."  Is this common? I told him off pretty quickly, but I'm wondering if he got my information from someplace or was just cold-calling.

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 07:56:18 AM »
If you give out your work number on resumes, yup.

Mostly H1B sweatshops. We have a spare phone line connected to an answering machine only that handles this sort of thing (though I'd like to look at a less expensive alternative.)

- NF
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 08:42:15 AM »
I suppose getting called by recruiters at work depends on where you're at and who you know. It isn't really a big deal. If you're interested and don't wanna talk while at work then tell them that and give them another number to call and when. OR just tell them you're not interested.

When it comes to jobs burning bridges isn't really the path to take. If you blow off a recruiter you have no idea what kind of future opportunities you just locked your self out of.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 01:31:46 PM »
I certianly didnt burn any bridges, just told him i wasnt interested. I havent sent out any resumes since 2000 and none with my work number. I suppose they may have gotten my name from the emlpoyment office at the school I attended, since the school knew where I was working. But I was really thinking that he may have just called into the company and puched in a random extension or something like that.

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 01:39:20 PM »
I have been contacted as well. I ask them for a phone number where I can reach them, and explain that it's not a good idea to contact me at my current job. They got my number from another person in my area who was using their services. They wouldn't reveal who it was, but I gave them a cell/home number where it's ok to call.

Polishrifleman

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 08:49:34 AM »
Not unheard of at all, take it as a compliment (depending on the company).  My wife is a recruiter and once they hire someone they ask that individual who they respect and would recommend as a potential candidate and then she gets the contact information and gives the person a ring.  They really can't divulge where they got the information as there might be ramifications but that is typically how it goes down.  Another way is that if you are part of a trade organization.  The trade rosters make great calling lists.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 09:43:55 AM »
Internal affairs checking to see if your a happy employee Wink