Author Topic: LCD monitors?  (Read 2755 times)

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
LCD monitors?
« on: February 08, 2006, 07:54:16 AM »
Although my faithful 15" CRT monitor is still going fine, I've decided that I'd really like a 19" LCD. Does anyone here have any recos or antirecos?

Thanks,
- NF
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

Declaration Day

• friends
LCD monitors?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 08:16:18 AM »
I bought a 19" Samsung LCD monitor last summer for <$350 at Sam's Club.  

It was a great deal and it works perfectly.  Wish I had more to say!

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
LCD monitors?
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 08:25:19 AM »
For best viewing look for high contrast ratios like 700:1 or better, and fast response times like 12ms or less. These specs are even more important if you do any gaming at all.

The Samsung series has a good reputation, check out the 940B. Also the Dell LCD is pretty nice.

TarpleyG

• friend
LCD monitors?
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 08:30:34 AM »
I bought a 19" Acer AL1914 about 3 months ago and have no complaints.  IIRC, I paid around $240 for it.

Greg

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
LCD monitors?
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 09:13:18 AM »
dell has a dell branded 19" (model number 1901FP) with a 3 year warranty for $399 through their website. I have bought 15 of these since they came out, nice monitor.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
LCD monitors?
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 09:54:21 AM »
I know several people who are pleased with the Hyundai L90D+.  $299 at Newegg.  It's on my short list when I finaly replace my CRT.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824179014
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Parker Dean

• friend
LCD monitors?
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 10:06:54 AM »
You might also look up Image Persistence. Ive got a cheap Westinghouse and it does it real bad.

USP45usp

• friend
LCD monitors?
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2006, 02:48:20 PM »
Dell 15" for free.  Love the LCD's, I will never go back to CRT's.  Will get the 19" or the 21" when they come down in price.

Wayne

QuickDraw

LCD monitors?
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2006, 03:18:49 PM »
What timing!
I just bought a Viewsonic VA912b 19"lcd monitor.
Got it at Compusa. Of course I checked the net AFTER I
bought it.Could have saved approx.$80.00!:rolleyes:
I love it.Bright,big screen.Should have done it a long time
ago.

QuickDraw
"Stay the course"

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
LCD monitors?
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2006, 03:27:41 PM »
I have a Samsung SyncMaster 930B.  Great user reviews on the various websites that post such things.  
The CNet reviewer gave it average marks but was roundly lambasted for that by the users.  They all thought it is a great monitor.  As a general rule, I put more stock in what actual users say than a paid reviewer.
700:1 contrast ratio, 8ms response times, no ghosting on fast moving images at all.  Great for gaming, movies, whatever.  Zero defective pixels.
I love the darn thing.  My wife has two of the equivalent 17" monitors on her PC and loves them.
The current version of the monitor is the 940B.  It's been reviewed by users as a great monitor, as well.
Check it out.  It's been on sale at various sites like Newegg, with rebates, too.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
LCD monitors?
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2006, 03:51:48 PM »
Well, I followed nobody's advice and got a NEC MultiSync LCD1935 from Staples. So far, so good!

Thanks for all! From the epinions and Amazon reviews, the Samsung monitors seemed good -- but there is nothing like going into the store and looking for yourself.

- NF

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
LCD monitors?
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2006, 07:20:02 PM »
Good choice. I bought SWMBO a NEC Multisync LCD 735 about 13 months ago.  She loves it.  Hasn't been any trouble from it. I, however, still use and like my big honkin' Scepter Komodo 17 incher that's big enough for 3 cats to sleep comfortably on it.  Kinda like old classic Detroit iron. Mass is good.

I do have to admit, though, with prices coming down and quality going up, there's some 21 inch flats that are mighty attractive over at Fry's and Micro Center. Maybe I'll upgrade her and take that NEC for myself.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
LCD monitors?
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2006, 03:16:24 AM »
Now that I can actually see the picture, I gotta figure out whether I need to replace my analog video card with digital to cure the blurry characters...

BTW, there's a reason why the displays in Staples have a lot of motion and color, but no small text.

- NF

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
LCD monitors?
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2006, 05:41:55 AM »
Check your drivers and default resoltuion Nathaniel, that can sometimes cause fuzzy text on displays.

I too prefer LCD displays over CRTs.  I use one at work and would never go back.  Even the little 15 incher on my laptop is sharp and readable at 1600 x 1200 resolution.  I've been looking at LCD TVs to replace the 27 inch CRT box I'm currently using.  Its fine for TV, but games are lacking.  Samsungs have been high on the list in that endeavor.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
LCD monitors?
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2006, 06:01:59 AM »
Quote from: Nathaniel Firethorn
Now that I can actually see the picture, I gotta figure out whether I need to replace my analog video card with digital to cure the blurry characters...

BTW, there's a reason why the displays in Staples have a lot of motion and color, but no small text.

- NF
Try this:
Right click on your desktop/Display Properties/Appearance/Effects/
Check-"Use following method to smooth edges of screen fonts"/Clear Type
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
LCD monitors?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2006, 06:28:26 AM »
Right click on your desktop/Display Properties/Appearance/Effects/Check-"Use following method to smooth edges of screen fonts"/Clear Type
I'm running Fedora Core 4 with xfce (though I can switch to KDE or Gnome easily.) But I'll get by. Wink

- NF

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
LCD monitors?
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2006, 11:57:05 AM »
P.S. Display size was 1024x768. Resetting it to 1280x1024 did the trick. Thanks!

- NF

cosine

• Administrator
LCD monitors?
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2006, 12:55:02 PM »
I've got a 17" HP LCD. Works well. Nice and sharp. In fact, my mom has a CRT and I can't stand it.
Andy

Antibubba

• friend
LCD monitors?
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2006, 07:34:40 PM »
I will never willingly go back to a CRT.  No more eyestrain, no more headaches.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
LCD monitors?
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2006, 10:38:45 AM »
Quote from: Nathaniel Firethorn
P.S. Display size was 1024x768. Resetting it to 1280x1024 did the trick. Thanks!

- NF
I was about to suggest that you check the native resolution of the LCD and make sure your pc's resolution is set to match.  Looks like you already found that solution.  Some monitors handle the resizing gracefully.  Some less so.  That is one major disadvantage of LCD over CRT.   The other being color matching.  LCD's are nice.  They are certainly Good Enough for most purposes, but they cannot compete with a CRT in that area.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln