Author Topic: Polar "Bears"?  (Read 1435 times)

Antibubba

• friend
Polar "Bears"?
« on: February 08, 2006, 06:59:23 PM »
Are Polar Bears part of the Ursus family, ie, Bears, or are they simply bear-like in appearance and temperment?
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Polar "Bears"?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 07:08:59 PM »
Kingdom: Animalia
    Phylum: Chordata
         Class: Mammalia
             Order: Carnivora
               Family: Ursidae
                     Subfamily: Ursinae
                         Genus: Ursus

http://library.sandiegozoo.org/Fact%20Sheets/bear_polar/polar.htm
                             Species: U. maritimus (polar bear)
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Azrael256

• friend
Polar "Bears"?
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 07:16:47 PM »
I think it's giant pandas that look beary much like Ursidae but are actually raccoons or lemurs or something like that.

Art Eatman

• friend
Polar "Bears"?
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 05:14:48 AM »
If you went on safari in Greenland, could you hire locals as polar-bearers?

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Polar "Bears"?
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 05:30:05 AM »
Based on this site (http://library.sandiegozoo.org/Fact%20Sheets/panda_giant/panda.htm) Giant Pandas are placed in the same family as the other bears, Ursidae.  Apparently they share quite a few features with the red panda which IIRC are related to Racoons.

Lemurs are confined to the island of Madagascar for doing something VERY VERY BAD in pre-history, likely boasting that one day their decedents would rule the planet and feast on the bodies of all other animlas.  Unfortunately for the rest of the natural world, they were proven correct. (Lemurs are primates, like humans, though a very ancient model). CheesyCheesy
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Birddog

Polar "Bears"?
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 05:51:12 AM »
If I recall correctly, giant pandas were only recently (10 years or so ago) grouped with bears.  The report I read said that though there are differences, there were more similarities.  I think zoologists were tired of saying "we're not sure where they fit taxonomically", so they lumped them in with bears.  So now, they're back to being panda bears.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Polar "Bears"?
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 10:14:44 AM »
Well, the Chinese consider Panda Bears as cats.  Daxiongmao=>big cats.Cheesy
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Polar "Bears"?
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 10:21:02 AM »
Quote from: Art Eatman
If you went on safari in Greenland, could you hire locals as polar-bearers?
*groan* Tongue

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

DrAmazon

• friend
Polar "Bears"?
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 04:01:53 PM »
Quote from: Birddog
If I recall correctly, giant pandas were only recently (10 years or so ago) grouped with bears.  The report I read said that though there are differences, there were more similarities.  I think zoologists were tired of saying "we're not sure where they fit taxonomically", so they lumped them in with bears.  So now, they're back to being panda bears.
There's a big movement in biology to look at the DNA sequences of pretty much everything and revise taxonomy based on the DNA connections (geneology) instead of based on appearances (phylogeny).  It may result in some interesting rearrangements in how we consider things.
Experiment with a chemist!

Stickjockey

• friend
Polar "Bears"?
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006, 05:30:41 PM »
I think it's giant pandas that look beary much like Ursidae but are actually raccoons or lemurs or something like that.
Maybe Koalas? I know people at least used to refer to them as "Koala bears." Actually, they're marsupials, closer to Kangaroos and (gulp) Opossums.
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Polar "Bears"?
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2006, 01:42:28 PM »
Marsupials scare me . . . 'cause they're fast!:D
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Polar "Bears"?
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2006, 02:24:14 PM »
Fast marsupials?  pfftt..  These things scare me, 'cause they are venomous.

http://www.americazoo.com/goto/index/mammals/33.htm

I mean, come on.  What right thinking mammal injects freaking POISON when it bites!