Author Topic: Zillow dot BOMB?  (Read 2572 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Zillow dot BOMB?
« on: February 09, 2006, 07:10:56 AM »
Anyone manage to get into this site?

I've been trying for two days, and it's still crashed.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Polishrifleman

• friend
Zillow dot BOMB?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 08:25:14 AM »
I got in yesterday and didn't have too much problem navigating around.  Remember it is a Beta and it is the hottest thing since the news stories came out so probably overloaded.  The mapping is cool and some of the other information but it isn't very current.  Values in my hood are off by about $100k.  Good luck and by the way I have no affiliation with the company. Smiley

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Zillow dot BOMB?
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 09:39:54 AM »
What's the attraction making this site so hot?

Polishrifleman

• friend
Zillow dot BOMB?
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 10:03:04 AM »
FF, tabloid hype is probably the best answer.  There were several online news stories about it yesterday and everyone wants to see what their house is worth and what their neighbors paid etc...

Marnoot

• friend
Zillow dot BOMB?
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 12:31:22 PM »
LOL. Is that site supposed to be a joke? It says the house my brother just bought for about $200K is worth $1.3Million. I checked several other houses around the state and they're also incredibly bloated in price. It's $700,000 high on my parent's house too. I have yet to find a house it's even remotely close to being accurate on. Maybe it's just the areas I'm looking at.

Edit: I see elsewhere they list accuracy rates. They list their Utah results as being within 10% of correct, 53% of the time. Great idea for a site, but they're going to need to improve their data quantity and quality before it will be all that helpful in alot of areas.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Zillow dot BOMB?
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 12:32:38 PM »
Well, I finally got on and my house is pretty much spot on for value...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Zillow dot BOMB?
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 12:42:41 PM »
i guess it doesn't like rural Iowa..  If I want to know what a house went for I can do it at the court house or I can see what it accessed at on the assessor's website.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Zillow dot BOMB?
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 12:48:19 PM »
Not even close.

The 4,500 square foot house behind ours is valued at $153k.   Knoxville is cheap, but it aint that cheap.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

cosine

• Administrator
Zillow dot BOMB?
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 12:49:36 PM »
Edit:

Doh! I was using it wrong.

It's pretty accurate. It only listed the house I'm living in approximately $25,000 to $30,00 high.
Our neighbors' houses were almost spot-on. We've had two neighbors move in the last two years, and the value the site gave was almost exactly what they had sold for.
Andy

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Zillow dot BOMB?
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006, 01:17:35 PM »
I will probably never know. It only shows 3 cities in Montana, and they aren't anywhere near me.

bob

brimic

• friends
Zillow dot BOMB?
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2006, 03:45:39 PM »
Wow, cool sattelite photos, I can even see my truck in my driveway.
It didn't show the 'zestimate' of my house, but from the looks of my neighborhood, the estimates were about $25,000-30,000 low, unless the newspaper has been lying about the prices the houses recently sold for in its weekly real estate sales list.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Zillow dot BOMB?
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2006, 06:21:48 PM »
I checked the homes for a couple of friends, including mtnbkr.

Some were right in the ball park, but the price for mtnbkr's place is lagging quite a bit behind actuals.

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
Zillow dot BOMB?
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2006, 05:35:51 AM »
Mike, maybe it's undervaluing places in my area; I'm only a couple of miles from Chris, and it valued my place at about 20k under what the guy two doors up from me sold at, 4 months ago (and I've got more land and way more deck than he does), and about 45k less than the people adjoining me, across the creek, are listing for (and I have more land and more deck, but they have a bit more square footage in the house than I do).

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Zillow dot BOMB?
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2006, 05:52:18 AM »
I don't know how they pull their valuations, whether it's from public records or not, but it may take awhile for them to show up in the databases.