Author Topic: I have a terminal condition  (Read 2836 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
I have a terminal condition
« on: February 09, 2006, 08:18:50 AM »
Battery terminal, that is. As in corroded through.

My '02 Vic (along with most Ford products, it appears) has a problem with the stock battery weeping acid out the vents more than usual. These steel band type terminal connections simply don't hold up under this kind of constant corrosion. Even though I neutralize everything with baking soda twice a year the terminals still corroded away, and yesterday I was left stranded when the terminal completely seperated. I came out from lunch and the car wouldn't start. I grabbed the battery cable to see if the connection was loose and it broke off in my hand.

Crap.

Luckily I was accross the parking lot from a parts store that carries a lot of heavy electric products. I was able to get some solid copper lug-style cable ends that I hard-soldered to the existing cables. Using heavy replacement terminals as a makeshift distribution block, I was back on the road in about an hour. Since the battery was four years old I went ahead and popped for a new one. I was lucky that the parts store had a good selection of quality batteries, including AC/Delco. Now I have a Chevy battery in my Ford car. Next thing you know, cats and dogs will start sleeping together...

For a parking lot repair - in my suit and tie, no less - I'm pretty proud of it. It may look strange, but there is more contact area now than there was with the factory connection. Plus, the only thing directly touching the battery is non-reactive and shouldn't corrode nearly as bad as the old steel terminals.

Would you believe that the starter and accesory feeds (the two larger cables) are only 6 guage? Heck, the cable that the stereo shop ran to feed my amp is 6 guage. Doesn't make sense, but it works.

One side note - the amp sound better now that it has a more stable connection. Cheesy

It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 08:32:50 AM »
Get a can of Battery Terminal Protection Spray from the auto parts store.  My cables stay corrosion free for about a year.  This is a 1992 F150 with 178,000 miles on it.

Leaded spray paint or a blob of grease work too, but don't last as long.

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 08:49:02 AM »
OK - all the baking soda does is turn the acid into salt.  Guess what - the salt still corrodes.  I've never had much luck withthe "No-Corrosion" sprays or washers  - I just clean, (and replace, as necessary) my terminals twice a year.   Top posts are a breeze with the right type of tool - sideposts are harder.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 09:17:57 AM »
Quote from: richyoung
OK - all the baking soda does is turn the acid into salt.
Yeah, I know. After I neutralize the acid everything gets a thorough sudsing, rinse, and wipe down. From what I can find the problem is more the factory battery. It has a bad tendency to weep more acid than usual through the vent holes. Combine that with steel cable ends (as opposed to non-reative lead) and you get a problem waiting to happen.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 10:27:51 AM »
Mom's battery died in her garage about 5 months ago. Ewww what a mess!!

Front Wheel Drive on a '92 Olds Ciero, meaning I have to first "get" to the damn thing by undoing the crash bar going over it.

I had corrosion all over the battery, terminals, battery box.

Baking soda on everything, Toss her dead battery into a box, into bed of my truck to NAPA. All new batteries have both the top and side posts, hers used side posts.

Get back and start rinsing, more baking soda, scrub. Spray down with Simple Green, hose off. Spray paint the battery box to prevent anymore rust that corrosion caused.

Ended up cleaning the engine since I was at it, better to check under the hood with a clean engine to spot leaks, cracked vacuum lines, rubber hoses...etc.

Battery : RIG Grease, like I have used on Guns forever. I applied a light coat to bottom and all sides of battery. Once that sucker is back in - one cannot get to it except for the top. RIG Grease on inside of side posts on battery, and inside of terminals, attach, and RIG Grease to exterior of terminal connections and removed the plastic covers for top posts, RIG grease, plastic back on top.

Murphy's Law - Mom's battery again dies in garage. 5 Months have gone by and there is NO corrosion anywhere. NAPA give us a new battery under warranty with apologizes. NO Charge of course.

New one I did the same thing except I was low on RIG and used Lithium on the top posts - last checked still fine and sometime I will (if need) Touch up with RIG.

--

My AC Delco finally played out after 4 years and 11 months. I had prepped mine as above. From time I have touched up with RIG . Never had a corrosion problem, and my battery box was not corroded. The NAPA I replaced this one with - prepped as above with RIG.

Lithium has worked in the past as well. Petroleum Jelly has worked. Just RIG has done the better job for me.

-Aside

Seafoam and Deep Creep [which is SeaFoam in spray form] is what I have used in road-side "bail-outs" for batteries , getting lugnuts off that were on too tigh from impact wrenches....etc.. This is what I had to use on Mom's car to break loose that damn nut holding crash bar in place after I broke a cheap ratchet wrench.

SeaFoam/DeepCreep has enabled me to get terminals loose, remove corrosion to get a vehicle running/ jump started in a hurry. Like a dark secluded parking lot, or side of highway.

Murphy...last time not only would the car not start, flat tire as well...and in a parking lot one is wise not to be after dark.

"What is the Seafoam for?"

"If a gang shows up, pour into that glass bottle your tea is in, stick a rag in it , light it and throw it at 'em".
"We are CCW-ing".
"Rather fight from afar than up close".

I think she was upset we did not have a problem with the "youths" on the other sided of parking lot...I think she wanted to see if it would work.

Smiley

Robert Sears

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 11:17:50 AM »
The mechanic I've used for years just spray terminal onNEW batteries with flat black engine paint. I've use LPS 3 which has a was base with good results also.

Bob

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 12:00:45 PM »
Front Wheel Drive on a '92 Olds Ciero, meaning I have to first "get" to the damn thing by undoing the crash bar going over it.
That's nothing. Try the late 90's early 2K's Dodge Stratus sometime. Battery is in the fender and I mean IN the fender. Jack car up, take off wheel, remove access panel that is covered in crud (and stuck!) to the rest of the inner fender well to gain access.

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 06:24:41 PM »
Yes I have "heard" about those.

Yes I am grateful mom's car is not one of those or some other "thought out" configuration.

Told mom she needs a P/U Truck.

-If she is going to get stuck paying for meals - parents can darn sure get the grandbrats to the eating joint. Alleviates messing up her vehicle.

-Back glass is easier to clean - I am not sure how my mom can goof up the inside back glass she does tho'

-Easier  for her to get into and out of my truck than her car.  Easier on her body, and my butt won't feel like it is dragging the ground as it does when I drive her car.

-Engine in her car is "sideways" and is front wheel drive. She needs a truck so the engine is in correctly and the power goes to the correct wheels.

-Battery, and other fix it stuff.  I like simple. If'n I'm going to fix it - I want it to  be simple for me.

-Okay who was the genius that thought up putting oil filters on sideways?  I get the first choke-hold.

I actually pointed out some nice older used ones. She actually blushed [ age 76]

"Hey, how you gonna snag some rich retired guy with a dumb old car. Get a older used truck, feign truck trouble and show a little leg..."

She hit me on the shoulder too...Smiley

zahc

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 07:42:24 PM »
Past coworker had a car that kept the battery under the rear seat. Had to remove the rear seat to get to it.

I use the Red spray, works alright. Side post terminals, if greased, will last forever without problems, but they are harder to clean.

My neighbors maintain the school district school bus fleet. They do things right too...I don't know what they get for it but it's not enough. They do OCD things like running different tire pressures in dual wheels to account for the crown in the road. They have some red terminal protection goop that comes in a can with a brush. They have an aversion to Interstate batteries and use Delco batteries.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006, 07:50:49 PM »
Oh no!  Are you positive?  Did they find anode?  Will you be starting carmotherapy, or seeking alternatorive therapies?
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2006, 06:33:09 AM »
Two words you don't want to hear in the doctor's office - "Rectal Electrolysis"

shocked

Brad
-HankB

mfree

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2006, 06:39:50 AM »
I've found the little felt washers actualy do work, believe it or not, couldn't be easier either. Then I topped off with the purple spray, and for $8 I never had another corrosion issue in my '84 Tbird until I parked is some 60,000 miles later.