Author Topic: He's baaaack...  (Read 1250 times)

grampster

• friend
He's baaaack...
« on: February 11, 2006, 12:15:43 PM »
Just rolled in with swmbo from our yearly sabbitical to Key West, the land of fruits and nuts.  Been gone for about 23 days.  It's nice to see everyone is still in fine fettle.

Walked a lot, ate a lot, drank a lot, listened to some good blues, jazz and island music, and generally loafed at a very very high level.

Wilma knocked the snot out of KW.   A lot of the vegetation is gone and damage is still evident to some buildings and structures.  Considering most of the island was under water for a few day, it's in pretty good shape.  I saw a lot of pics of the water and damage to compare then with now.  It is amazing how little evidence of that reamains.   About 90% of the cars were destroyed and a lot of folks lost everthing they owned.  The folks down there though, are pretty proud of the fact that they got stuff cleaned up, repaired and are now watching the green come back without whining about the gubmint.  They did most of it by themselves.  Tough birds, them Conchs.  

Some of the insurance companies that cover wind are blaming water.  The flood coverage through FEMA are claiming it's wind driven water, not flood.  Mortgage companies are demanding the insurance money be sent to them and reimburse owners after proof of repair.  Most of them are dragging their feet.Our Institutions are full of rats, no?  Some companies are responding well, though.  The auto insurance companies are...the property and casualty companies, with a couple of exceptions, are not.

Overall, bidness as usual in KW.
Key West is probably as corrupt as NO, but the difference is that their roots are in piracy and self reliance which makes for a proud folk.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

He's baaaack...
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 01:10:48 PM »
I THOUGHT things had been awfully well-behaved around here for a few weeks!
Nice to have you back, you ol' coot!

Seriously, we missed ya.
Glad you and the missus had a good time.  

Fresh perspective, a little tan, maybe a few more dead brain cells...
Does wonders for keeping you young!

Now get back on duty and man your post!

The Figlet

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
He's baaaack...
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 02:53:35 PM »
Glad you are well.

How could you tell if KW was damaged by nature or man?Cheesy
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

He's baaaack...
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 03:15:26 PM »
Welcome Back!!

I behaved myself, just ask the folks...

Folks?

What did you bring me?  Smiley

Hey, are my initals still on that train trestle?  How about my wad of gum under on that bench at Hemingways?

You see the Cookie Lady?  Take a Sunset Clipper Ship ride? Visit Sloppy Joes?

Well?  Spill it willya?

Steve

grampster

• friend
He's baaaack...
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 05:11:39 PM »
Two pound chocolate chip cookies covered with macadamia nuts. Mmmmmm

Mentioned sm and got face slapped by several intense females.

Talked to the owners of the clipper ship, Liberty.  Nice people.  125 feet of beauty.

Sloppy Joe's gets more sloppy each year.  Not any fun anymore.  Hang out at Captain Tony's (original Sloppy Joe's) and The Bull and Whistle, especially the Whistle's metal porch over the sidewalk.  Bobby serves the best drinks.  Breakfast at Blue Heaven, Flamingo or Pepe's.  Lunch at the Tiki Bar at The Banyan.  Happy hour at Kelly's for homebrew, wings and cocconut shrimp.  Supper at Cafe Sole or La Trattoria.  Turtle races at Turtle Kraals on Friday and Monday.  
Alonzo's still has a pound of beer cooked peel and eat shrimp for $11.00 before 5:30PM, and all is well at the Schooner Warf.  Louie's Backyard was swamped but fixed.
"Jimmy who?  He don't live here no more."

The cruise boats regurgitate the tourists who fill up the Conch Train or they walk glassy eyed up and down Duval like Night of the Living Dead.  TAMPOA still full of rich folks and Bahama Village is alive and well.  The cat guy still performs at Mallory square.  You can still get a real estate deal on a 800 sq ft Conch house on a 25' foot lot for $800,000.00 or so.

What nature did, nature is fixing.  Human wreckage gets picked up by a fleet of Pelican street sweepers in the morning.  Maria the cat on Eaton street is still alive, but she sleeps a lot now.  Fausto's still has the best selection of wine at the best prices.

Popo misfeasance unchanged, as is the rest of the political scene.

Aqua still has the best lookin' bawdy female impersonators.

All in all, a fine time out from the real world.  Sigh.........
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

brimic

• friends
He's baaaack...
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2006, 05:41:10 PM »
You can still get a real estate deal on a 800 sq ft Conch house on a 25' foot lot for $800,000.00 or so.
I always wondered how people live down there. Its very expensive to live there, yet it doesn't seem like people do anything there except work in service industries. The street beggers there are probably better off than I am.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
He's baaaack...
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2006, 02:51:24 AM »
Yup, I was just thinkin' of postin' a "Where's grampster" thread. Glad you're back. I thought  P' town was the land of fruits and nuts though. There's another?

shocked
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Brian Williams

• friend
  • I want one of these
He's baaaack...
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 04:54:54 AM »
P'town is the Village of Fruits in the Land of Nuts.
Welcome back Gramps
Brian
<><
:)