Author Topic: Arrgh!!! I may need a new job since I don't have a 4x4 truck!  (Read 4610 times)

chaim

• friend
    • http://groups.msn.com/TaurusTalk/_whatsnew.msnw
Arrgh!!! I may need a new job since I don't have a 4x4 truck!
« on: February 12, 2006, 02:43:42 AM »
I work in a psychiatric hospital.  Since it is a hospital with patients who are there 24/7 they need staff there at all times.  

We just got about 18-20" of snow here in Columbia MD.  I called work to tell them that until the court I live on and the road it is on are plowed I can't go anywhere (the snow is about halfway up the bumper so if I even tried I would certainly be stranded very quickly and might cause exhaust or other damage).  Work told me that I absolutely HAD to be there by 3pm.  I informed them again that my car simply won't be able to go anywhere on the local roads as they are and all I can promise is I'll come in after the plows come through.  They informed me that since night shift can't work 3 shifts, only 2, I have to find some way to get there by 3pm (when the evening shift begins).  The 4x4 patrol that most hospitals have to bring stranded staff to work won't come this far (my hospital only sends out 4x4s to people who live within 5 miles, I live 30 miles away).  What's more, the state has closed interstates to all but emergency vehicles yet work won't budge- I MUST find a way to get there.

I'm thinking (assuming I don't actually get fired) that I better find a cheap 4x4 sometime in the next few months so that I'm ready next time.  I won't have the money to help for this season, but for next year I should probably get a cheap (~$3000) used SUV or 4x4 pick-up so I'm ready for the snow next time.  Then again, in MD we only get this kind of snow once every 2-5 years.

I'm pretty "upside down" on my current car, and can't really afford a higher payment (let along higher gas expense due to lower MPG) so I'm not sure I can really afford to trade my current car in on a new or late model SUV.  Plus, I love my Hyundai Sonata.  It is a 2004 with over 40K miles (thus not worth a lot) and it has so far been the most reliable car I've ever owned.  I could maybe see trading it on a used Hyundai Santa Fe, but again, I'm pretty "upside down" (I owe a lot more than it is currently worth).  Then again, if I'm fired for being snowed in I won't be shopping for a new car for next time we get a good snow anyway.

This situation definately has me missing the 2 1/2 years I worked in the schools (hint- around here they seem to close schools for the rumor of winter weather).  I really don't need this stress.

Anyway, just needed to vent.

Edit:

ARRRGH!!!

I just called the county to get an estimate on time on snow removal-  they won't start on residential streets until the snow completely stops, and streets like mine will be at least 16-18hours!  I told them of my situation (hospital employee and they are requiring I find SOME way to get there) and asked if there was a way to get my street done quicker.  No way, can't be done.  I'm not quite sure what I'll do, hopefully they won't actually fire me for being snowed in.
Come visit my MSN Group: Taurus Talk
http://groups.msn.com/TaurusTalk/_whatsnew.msnw

DrAmazon

• friend
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 03:10:51 AM »
Wow, that's where all the snow they promised us in VA went.  We only got 5-6 inches, although it is still snowing.

I hope the work situation improves once Monday arrives and (hopfully) leveler heads take over.   If you're feeling snotty, suggest that the people that live within 5 miles could realistically WALK into work, making the roads in town safer and freeing up the 4x4 crews to bring in people who truly have no other way to get in.

Best of luck
Experiment with a chemist!

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 03:16:02 AM »
How about a used four wheeler with a blade?  A lot more fun than a 4x4 an you don't have to license or insure it.  My little 1991 Suzuki 250 ($1200+$300 for blade) will move a lot of snow.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 03:25:34 AM »
Hey folks, I live in NoVa, but am currently visiting friends in Va Beach.  What's the I95 like between Richmond and NoVa.

Chris

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006, 03:25:51 AM »
Quote from: chaim
I just called the county to get an estimate on time on snow removal-  they won't start on residential streets until the snow completely stops, and streets like mine will be at least 16-18hours!  I told them of my situation (hospital employee and they are requiring I find SOME way to get there) and asked if there was a way to get my street done quicker.  No way, can't be done.  I'm not quite sure what I'll do, hopefully they won't actually fire me for being snowed in.
Sorry about your situation.  I would definitely not buy a 4X4 truck if a debilitating snow storm only comes in once every 2-5 years, unless my job paid big $$.

I plow snow for a living, (privately) so of course, I have a huge 4x4 truck.

There's a good reason why they won't plow your streets until the snow stops.  It is not feasible to plow them twice, use twice as much gas, and keep the employees awake longer than humanly (and humanely) possible.  Nor is it prudent to purchase an extra $2 million in equipment and hire dozens of employees to handle an occasional storm.

When that much snow comes, everything simply has to shut down until the crews can handle it.  If you live where it snows, snow will inconvenience you.  There's no amount of money, no number of trucks, no mountain of salt that will ever change that.

I'm not preaching to you, chaim, rather your boss.  He is being unreasonable.  Do him a favor and show him my post Smiley.

chaim

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2006, 03:31:27 AM »
Wow, that's where all the snow they promised us in VA went.  We only got 5-6 inches, although it is still snowing.
Well, it depends on where you are in the area.  Much of Central MD is in the 12" (nearer the bay) to 16" range.  The snow came up the I-95 corridor and Columbia is right off I-95.  Columbia is the 2nd worst hit of the area- 20" here, the worst was Randallstown which the news just reported as having 22".

Anyway, I called work and let them know that the county is estimating at least 16-18 hours before streets like mine will be plowed.  On the news you are always hearing about volunters with 4x4s driving hospital employees to work.  I asked if they knew of anyone coming out of Howard County- unfortunately the answer was no.  I was told that I needed to call them and come in as soon as I was able (at least this time they gave no specific deadline, so maybe I'll be keeping my job).

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2006, 03:38:01 AM »
Gotta agree with DD on all points.

FWIW I've successfully navigated 15" of snow with my nearly stock (no lift, just AT tires) 97 Toyota 4Runner (Luckily, that's what I drove to VB).  It gets good gas mileage for a "real" 4x4 and has Toyota's legendary reliability.  If you buy a 3rd Gen 4Runner (96-00), you'll probably be able to get one for less than $10grand.  Get the 4cyl version with a manual transmission if you don't plan on towing much.  It's peppy enough and has as much HP as the 2nd Gen V6.  You'll get better gas mileage too.  

Chris

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2006, 03:39:49 AM »
I'd say you have a potential wrongful-termination suit on your hands if you do get fired.  Make sure that you are documenting all these discussions back and forth just in case.  If THEY need YOU there so bad then THEY can buy YOU a car to handle the weather.  It's just a job and it's not worth risking your life to drive 30 miles in snow to get there.  Sorry but I have adopted the attitude of another one of our forum members--I simply trade time for money...no other allegiance.

Greg

chaim

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2006, 03:52:28 AM »
Sorry about your situation.  I would definitely not buy a 4X4 truck if a debilitating snow storm only comes in once every 2-5 years, unless my job paid big $$.
We only get a bad snow every couple years, we do get 2-6" pretty commonly (1-4 times in a typical winter).  Not enough to need a 4x4 (thus I have a front wheel drive car) but enough for it to be nice to have.

Anyway, this may have put me over the decision making "hump" on buying a used truck for occasional use.  I was already thinking about picking up a used (7-10 year old) SUV or pick-up for use in towing.  I want a trailer, but my car is only rated for 2000 lbs.  A teardrop camper is nice and light, and seem interesting, but they are tiny and only really hold a bed.  Unfortunately, there are only a few models of pop-up tent campers that will be under 2K lbs with trailer, gear and passenger weights all added in.  Further, it is smart to keep some leeway and not be at, or even that near, the max weight anyway.  So, in order to have more flexibility I was thinking about saving for a used, $3-4K, truck this summer or fall.  This snow simply has me thinking about it even more strongly, and made me decide that if I go with the pick-up to keep it a 4x4.

As for the money, nope not big bucks.  When I left my prior job for this one it was a $10K pay cut (it is now more like $6k less than I made a year ago).  I'm doing this job for the experience, not the pay.  It is my first job in the field I've wanted to go into for years (mental health) and it will help me get into graduate school (first an MA in counseling then a doctorate in psychology).

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2006, 04:56:19 AM »
Start shoveling.
I agree the boss sounds pretty unreasonable.  Take pictures of the snow in your subdivision.  Document calls on when the plow is coming.  Keep notes.  It isnt like you dont want to go to work.

Here in mid-TN we got our annual blizzard.  About 1/4 inch with drifts piling up to 1/2 inch, most of the roads are already clear.  Last night people ran out and stocked up on milk, dog-food, and souse meat--items you just can't live without for 10 days.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2006, 05:16:07 AM »
What Tarpley said.  Are they gonna fire everybody that can't get there because of the snow?  If the 3rd shift is still there then that means the 1st shift couldn't make it in either, right?  I wouldn't worry so much about getting fired.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2006, 05:18:35 AM »
Here in mid-TN we got our annual blizzard.  About 1/4 inch with drifts piling up to 1/2 inch, most of the roads are already clear.
When I lived in Mid-Tn nearly 20 years ago, we got at least one snow a year that dumped upwards of 6" on us. Smiley

A more frequent weather even was the ice storm.  I lost more school days to them than to snow.

Chris

Moondoggie

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2006, 05:29:01 AM »
A couple of alternative ideas come to mind...

1.  Invest about $800 in a 2 stage self-propelled snowblower.  You could blow a path for your car to a bigger street and be able to get out much sooner.  You could also rent it out to neighbors to recover your investment.  If you didn't have to go to work right after a snowstorm, you could hire yourself out to clear neighbor's driveways, etc.  One of these contraptions is great for digging your way out once the plow DOES come by!

2.  Is there a possibility of finding a place to park your car just before a major snowstorm that you could walk to, but would put you on a major arterial street?  That way you would regain mobility much sooner.

Trying to do the "proactive" thingy.
Known from coast to coast, almost!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2006, 05:30:28 AM »
find a 1990s suzuki sidekick convertable

they run like tanks and are a ton of fun:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Passenger-Vehicles-Geo-1996-Geo-Tracker-Chevrolet-Suzuki-Sidekick-convertible_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6242QQitemZ4611232411QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

90k miles, less than 2k bucks...

if you are truely in need about the job today
i will drive over from Germantown and rescue you
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2006, 06:10:57 AM »
Don't you have any neighbors with a 4x4 that could take you to work during this storm?  Take a backpack of personal supplies, and plan on staying awhile at work to relieve those who worked in your place.

I do love it though when all those folks (not you, necessarily) that constantly bash others for driving "fuel guzzling" SUVs and pickups, ask for help to get through a big snowstorm or ask you to help them move Wink
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2006, 06:31:02 AM »
we got 12 inches over here

the culdesac is un plowed but the major roads in the perimeter of the subdivision are plowed

How much of a hike is it to cleared roadways? Are the buses rolling? have you called a cab company

my Jeep GC can bust thru much more than this fluff

i am about to do a lane opening back & forth on my culdesac so the neighbors can escape
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2006, 06:36:05 AM »
Quote from: Tallpine
I do love it though when all those folks (not you, necessarily) that constantly bash others for driving "fuel guzzling" SUVs and pickups, ask for help to get through a big snowstorm or ask you to help them move Wink
I work on the 99% principle.  I get a vehicle suitable for 99% of my driving.  I measure this in days.  That means that I figure I can rent a vehicle for the 3 days a year I need something else.  The savings in cost, gas, and insurance is worth having to occasionally rent.  Of course, I haven't had to rent yet.

I figure that even the biggest pickup I could purchase wouldn't really be able to compete with a U-haul(or other brand) panel truck if it came down to me moving.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2006, 06:46:40 AM »
Got about 12 inches here in Fairfax. Roads are plowed and it's melting like crazy, so they are just wet with a few snowy patches.

I have a Subaru Outback and it is GREAT in snow.

Had 18" a few years ago in Pennsylvania and had no trouble getting around, then 3 years ago had 22" here in Fairfax and was able to get around. Not gracefully, but I could get around.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

DrAmazon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2006, 07:25:45 AM »
Quote from: mtnbkr
Hey folks, I live in NoVa, but am currently visiting friends in Va Beach.  What's the I95 like between Richmond and NoVa.

Chris
It's about 12:30 and when I drove over I-95 in Fredericksburg it was completely clear and just wet.  Main roads in town are clear, but slushy on the edges, side streets are slushy but thawing.

My only hope for a snow day tomorrow is if this all freezes tonight.  Bummer.
Experiment with a chemist!

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2006, 08:21:12 AM »
If the snow is above the bumper, I wouldn't venture out even with 4x4.  That is when you can bury the truck real good.

What about a snowmobile?
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

erik the bold

• friend
  • Bite my shiney metal....
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2006, 08:21:24 AM »
You mean you don't have snowmobiles there?  Opps! sorry, forgot I'm in Michigan.

I'd agree on the inexpensive four-wheeler.  I've got a early 80's Suzuki quad runner 250 with the blade, and I can go thru about anything.  It's so much fun, I sometimes plow the neighbor's drives.  I've used it when I was on the fire department to rescue stranded motorists in the past, when we couldn't get our grass truck out.

OTOH, I've got a F350 too, so it's pretty hard to complain that I'm snowed in........
"Belief" is the acceptance of a hypothesis in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

chaim

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2006, 08:54:39 AM »
Well, everything around me is plowed....EXCEPT my court angry

My brother's street is plowed as is the street that my court empties on.  So, my brother is coming over at 3PM and will meet me on the street to take me to work.  Then, I'll find out sometime this evening if: 1) I get out at the end of evening shift, 2) if I will be working a double, or 3) I will be working a double AND required to sleep there since not enough people were able to come in to cover later shifts.  Once I know, I'll need to call to see if either my brother or parents can come get me, if not then it will be about $50 to get a cab to take me home (I think I'd rather rent a car and drive myself).

If the snow is above the bumper, I wouldn't venture out even with 4x4
Well, it is about halfway up the bumper on my 2004 Hyundai Sonata (a mid-sized car).  Most SUVs and 4x4 pick-ups have enough ground clearance to get over this (in fact, that, more than the 4x4 traction, is what I'm worried about here).

Don't you have any neighbors with a 4x4 that could take you to work during this storm?
Unfortunately, I don't know any of the neighbors with 4x4s enough to ask for what would normally be a 35min to 1hr drive (and in the snow could be a bit more).  I do have one friend with a 4x4 and he lives less than a mile away, the only problem is riding with him is taking your life in your hands in the best weather conditions (he is absolutely insanely aggressive on the road).  Not much scares me and riding with him scares me, there is no way I'm riding with him in the snow (even if that refusal gets me fired).

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2006, 12:09:08 PM »
Quote from: TarpleyG
I'd say you have a potential wrongful-termination suit on your hands if you do get fired.  Make sure that you are documenting all these discussions back and forth just in case.  If THEY need YOU there so bad then THEY can buy YOU a car to handle the weather.  It's just a job and it's not worth risking your life to drive 30 miles in snow to get there.  Sorry but I have adopted the attitude of another one of our forum members--I simply trade time for money...no other allegiance.

Greg
Right, and you have an obligation to get to work when you agreed to do so, otherwise they dont need to pay you anymore either today or ever again. If you feel that its a strict work-for-time arangment, then how can you even accept the existence of a "wrongful-termination"? All they are doing is ceasing to pay you for your time.

You dont need to buy a truck, you need to find someone that works there that already has one who can pick you up.

Norton

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2006, 05:15:51 PM »
Dang it.....I wish I had seen this early enough.  I would have come over in the Liberty and trucked you in.  The roads are clear as a bell here in Annapolis.  It must have been much worse over DC way since school is already canceled.

Hope you got in OK.

chaim

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2006, 08:22:17 PM »
Well, I finally got to work at 330pm thanks to my little brother.  

The particular shift supervisor who gave me a hard time wasn't even working by the time I called to let them know I was coming.  The shift supervisor was happy, but surprised I was coming in after my scheduled shift ended (he expected I would just take advantage of their liberal leave policy when it snows rolleyes ).  My unit was even more surprised, and happy, that I was coming in- it was a good thing I did come in for the later shift since we were understaffed even with me there and there was a patient on "Intensive Suicide Observation" (that means a staff person had to be in arms reach of her at all times, tying up one staff member when we were already short staffed).