Author Topic: Server suggestions?  (Read 722 times)

Phantom Warrior

• friend
Server suggestions?
« on: February 12, 2006, 08:53:55 AM »
I'm out in the field on a training exercise, so it will be a while until I get back to a computer.  I'll reply to this thread when I can.

I'm interested in setting up my own server.  I've dinked around w/ a WAMP package that serves it to my local computer (127.0.0.1), but I'd like to make a real server to host a few pictures, maybe do some e-mail, and make my own website.  I would be willing to consider server hosting, but I'd prefer to have my own.

How much space do I need?  I don't have a ton of free space on my current lap top (~10 GB), so I'm not sure I want to do it on there.  I'd be willing to consider buying a budget Dell (~$500) to use as a simple server.

I don't need much in the way of performance.  It'll be mostly for my own amusement and to host some pics for my family.  But I'd like to be able to do e-mail, Perl (for sure), and an SQL database (preferably w/ phpMyAdmin).

Any suggestions on an OS?

I think that's most of it.  Any input would be appreciated.

Phantom Warrior

• friend
Server suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 08:56:23 AM »
I hate bumping, but I'm driven to it.  Also, I'm genuinely curious about something.

I'm intrigued by the possibility of buying a cheap new/used laptop, wiping it, and installing some flavor of Linux to use as a server.  I could set it up w/ a wireless card, throw it in a drawer and leave it.  

What flavor of Linux would you guys recommend?  I'd like set up a server w/ an SQL server, e-mail, that can handle Perl scripts, and a few other things.  Is this possible?  Has anyone done this?  Input would be appreciated.

Server suggestions?
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 09:39:21 AM »
do you need to have a newer server>??  a buddy of mine passed last year and i inherited an older compaq proliant server.  don't know the specifics on it, has like 60 gigs of storage in 6 hot swapable drives.  3 power supplies and (i think)  4 processors.  if this interests you, let me know.  i have absolutly no use for it, it takes up space in my house and weighs a ton.

mtnbkr

• friend
Server suggestions?
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 10:26:27 AM »
I bought a Dell Poweredge SC420 about 1.5 years ago for less than $300 shipped (Slickdeals.net deal).  I use it to host my picture website (I use this software: http://gallery.menalto.com/), online backups of my desktop system, and as a print server.  It only has a Pentium 4 2.5ghz processor, 256megs of RAM and about a 120gig HDD.  However, it's running SUSE Linux quite well.  

Chris

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
Server suggestions?
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 10:38:15 AM »
Phantom, server's are about up time and reliability. Due to the hardware limits on a laptop, they are farthest away from what you need. Something like baus has or an older destkop tower wih a big hard drive and a couple of gig of ram. Check the specs for the minimum requirements on the software you are going to run and that should give you a baseline. Here's a link with some good how to's

Build Your Own Linux Server

Try a google search on "build your own linux server" or "build your own web server" I got several hundred hits on each with some links to DIY sites and blogs where people have done what you want to do. You just need to spend some time reading up on the subject.