Author Topic: Tree stump planter?  (Read 15443 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Tree stump planter?
« on: May 24, 2011, 09:47:52 PM »
How can I turn new huge stumps into some kind of planter like all hollowed out and stuff growing inside. Anybody ever do this?
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Regolith

• friend
Re: Tree stump planter?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 10:08:09 PM »
You could burn it out, kind of like how they made dugout canoes. I think that'd be the easiest way...you'd have to watch it to make sure you don't burn the entire stump, though.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

grampster

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 10:10:37 PM »
Small hand ax, a couple of chisels and a stout hammer and sweat equity to hollow it out.  A cooler and beer will help.  It'll last a long while.  I had an oak cut down 18 years ago and had a stump left that is about 3 feet high.  I use it to feed squirrels.  Put some nails into the stump and ram corn cobs down onto the nails.  Bark is all gone and it's 1/2 rotted away, but what's left is still sturdy.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 10:11:25 PM »
Thermite (it's the new detcord).

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 10:36:58 PM »
I recommend a power drill and a big auger bit. Drill a bunch of holes and bash the remainder out with a hammer.
I promise not to duck.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 10:38:53 PM »
termite (its the wood detcord)
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 11:34:34 PM »
I had a huge old oak die in my backyard last year, the power company took it down for me since it was close to the lines. It is about 32" in diameter at the point they sawed it off.
I'm still cutting and splitting the wood from that and it's been 6 weeks on the ground.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

280plus

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 05:30:00 AM »
I have a bunch of 2" long 3' diameter chunks I'm still thinking about how I'm getting onto my pickup.  :P

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 05:41:09 AM »
The olde timey way is to drill a few holes to create a circle with a diameter roughly 2/3 the diameter of the stump plus some more scattered inside the circle (not as many, or as deep, as to cause excessive perspiration) and then fill them with "coal earl" (OK, if you can't get that stuff kerosene will do).  Let the stuff soak into the stump - as in a week or two.  Keep topping up the fluid in the holes and allow the stuff to seep into the stump as much as possible.

When the holes are basically dry (no overt pool of liquid) light it off to create a smoldering fire.  If you get big flames and smoke either it's too wet or you have a volcano erupting.  In the first instance smother the fire with stuff as opposed to drowning it with water, and wait another week before relighting.  In the second instance take pictures and then run.

Let your stump smolder until you have burned out as much of a hole as you want.  Take a pickaxe (or other impliment of choice) to the burned-out portion to get rid of the charred portion.

NOTE: Your local fire department may strenuously object to your doing this, especially if there are laws regulating the times when open burning or unattended burning are prohibitted.  How your homeowner's insurance underwriter and the company that issued your policy will feel about it are anybody's guess.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 08:40:05 AM »
Yup, sounds right but the town or someone around here may take issue with a long term smoldering fire. Modification might be to make the cuts and then start a hotter short term wood fire on top of it, cover it with wet cloth to put it out completely out when I'm tired of effin with it and chop out the burnt stuff as I go along. It may take a few sessions but I believe it sounds like a plan.  =D

I got some nice fat augers and a 1/2' milwaukee.  ;)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 10:08:41 AM »
Yup, sounds right but the town or someone around here may take issue with a long term smoldering fire. Modification might be to make the cuts and then start a hotter short term wood fire on top of it, cover it with wet cloth to put it out completely out when I'm tired of effin with it and chop out the burnt stuff as I go along. It may take a few sessions but I believe it sounds like a plan.  =D

I got some nice fat augers and a 1/2' milwaukee.  ;)

The goal is to get as much damage as possible from a low, slow fire of essentially banked coals, and then scape everything out.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

Barring the charring process, just boring holes will allow rot to spread and you will lose the entire stump to some high-class acidic mulch in about a year.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 10:39:31 AM »
Could carve out a hollow with a heavy duty chainsaw  ;)

Would be boring work, though...

But - why would you want to plant a tree stump?  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

280plus

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 03:08:00 PM »
Barring the charring process, just boring holes will allow rot to spread and you will lose the entire stump to some high-class acidic mulch in about a year.

stay safe.
Yup, I'll char it with a wood fire built on top, like burning out a canoe.

But - why would you want to plant a tree stump?  :P
Tree stump farm...  ;)

jmpbink

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 11:11:45 AM »
Have read, and enjoyed answers to Tree Stump planter...but I have anew questions...We had a large tree cut down and are left with about 5 large stump like pieces that are too big to go through the splitter, and I want to make those into planters...same premise???

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 12:03:42 PM »
Yep.  Char them out with a low, slow fire...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 01:04:40 PM »
i think the burning process (charcoal brickets, blowtorch?)would be the least amount of effort, and the chainsaw would get the job done the fastest (if there were no dirt to dull the chain.).  would a planter built on top not be asthetically pleasing?  the redneck guidebook would show one of those inside-out tire planters nailed on top! :lol:
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

280plus

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2012, 02:00:49 PM »
yea, that sounds real classy like.

Are you guys trying to remind me I never did a thing about this and the stumps are still out there?  =|

=D

(Never mailed Physics that part on my desk for elctromicroscoping either. Hmmmm...)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2012, 03:28:57 PM »
yea, that sounds real classy like.

Are you guys trying to remind me I never did a thing about this and the stumps are still out there?  =|

=D

(Never mailed Physics that part on my desk for elctromicroscoping either. Hmmmm...)

A few more years, and the stumps will rot out hollow  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

280plus

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2012, 07:07:40 PM »
Sounds like a plan!  :lol:

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2012, 08:46:35 PM »
i wonder how a few holes and drano would do?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2012, 11:16:51 PM »

Started doing that to a couple stumps.  On lawn care days, just put some charcoal in the stumps, light em up.  Repeat for a few weeks.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2012, 03:28:57 AM »
Potassium nitrate? I still like thermite, requires less patience. Is it legal to make tannerite into a shaped charge? Not sure if it would work, be fun to try.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2012, 06:51:55 AM »
Potassium nitrate? I still like thermite, requires less patience. Is it legal to make tannerite into a shaped charge? Not sure if it would work, be fun to try.

Get somebody to run the video camera (at extreme zoom?).  Be sure to say "Hold my beer and watch this" before you set it off.

And since tannerite requires a direct hit with some impact, how are you planning to hit it from above?  Ladder?  Dark green helicopter?  Meteorite?  (Which is why the need for video.  Among all the other reasons.)

stay safe.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2012, 12:44:07 PM »
Started doing that to a couple stumps.  On lawn care days, just put some charcoal in the stumps, light em up.  Repeat for a few weeks.

The interesting part might be getting the fire put out.

It will eventually travel down each root.

Burning stumps are hard to put out and are a common source of reignition on wildfires :(

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2012, 01:32:37 PM »
Burning stumps are hard to put out and are a common source of reignition on wildfires :(

And the opportunity for an expenses-paid vacation is bad how?

stay safe.