Author Topic: Ned - do not let this happen to you  (Read 608 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Ned - do not let this happen to you
« on: August 31, 2012, 08:07:21 AM »
benchslapped - a term I was not familiar with.

The full order is at Volokh's site.  It is worth reading even if you are not a lawyer and have almost no idea what legal-speak means.

stay safe.

http://www.volokh.com/2012/08/30/things-no-lawyer-should-want-to-see-written-about-him/

“Counsel shall not charge petitioner, directly or indirectly, for the attorney’s fees and costs associated with this petition. Within 30 days of this order, counsel shall file a certificate stating under oath that he has discussed this matter with his client and has refunded any money he may have charged her for working on this petition.” Law students who read this blog — view this as a cautionary tale. The details are in Monges-Garcia v. Holder (9th Cir. Aug. 28, 2012) (nonprecedential)

If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

T.O.M.

• friend
Re: Ned - do not let this happen to you
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 01:37:53 PM »
Saw something like this once...

Defense attorney got mad because prosecutor was trying to introduce evidence that defense attorney thought was inadmissible.  Judge excused the jury to allow for full argument on the record without risk of prejudicing the jury.  Defense attorney leaves the courtroom for a moment, then walks back in and sees the empty jury box, and goes ull on tirade at the prosecutor about bringing up his client's prior convictions for drug dealing.  Judge yells for them to shut up, but it's too late.  Several of the jurors were standing right behind the defense attorny, leaving the courtroom after coming back to get their jackets and sweaters.

Case was a mistrial, as the evidence was not admissible, and the defense attorney got stupid bringing it up in front of several jurors. Judge less than happy, orders the cost of the trial, to that point, divided equally between the two lawyers, the prosecutor for bringing up the evidence in the first place, and the defense lawyer for blowing it in front of the jurors.  Cost for everything came to about $2,500 a piece.

Gotta love a judge who uses common sense and protects the public from crap...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 08:01:42 PM »
common sense judges are great.
seen a few
got my lil idealistic bubble busted when a judge like that that i truly admired got bought off on a small time dui case
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 10:20:13 PM »
No one can afford my price...  >:D
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark