Author Topic: MSM notices that Obama is overly reliant on his teleprompter.  (Read 12417 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Boy, the MSM is like Gomer Pyle..... 

SURPRISE !! SURPRISE !! SURPRISE !!

Methinks the honeymoon is starting to fade......

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20090305/pl_politico/19663

Obama's safety net: the TelePrompter
by Carol E. Lee – Thu Mar 5, 1:04 pm ET

President Barack Obama doesn’t go anywhere without his TelePrompter.

The textbook-sized panes of glass holding the president’s prepared remarks follow him wherever he speaks.

Resting on top of a tall, narrow pole, they flank his podium during speeches in the White House’s stately parlors. They stood next to him on the floor of a manufacturing plant in Indiana as he pitched his economic stimulus plan. They traveled to the Department of Transportation this week and were in the Capitol Rotunda last month when he paid tribute to Abraham Lincoln in six-minute prepared remarks.

Obama’s reliance on the teleprompter is unusual — not only because he is famous for his oratory, but because no other president has used one so consistently and at so many events, large and small.

After the teleprompter malfunctioned a few times last summer and Obama delivered some less-than-soaring speeches, reports surfaced that he was training to wean himself off of the device while on vacation in Hawaii. But no such luck.

His use of the teleprompter makes work tricky for the television crews and photographers trying to capture an image of the president announcing a new Cabinet secretary or housing plan without a pane of glass blocking his face. And it is a startling sight to see such sleek, modern technology set against the mahogany doors and Bohemian crystal chandeliers in the East Room or the marble columns of the Grand Foyer.

“It’s just something presidents haven’t done,” said Martha Joynt Kumar, a presidential historian who has held court in the White House since December 1975. “It’s jarring to the eye. In a way, it stands in the middle between the audience and the president because his eye is on the teleprompter.”

Just how much of a crutch the teleprompter has become for Obama was on sharp display during his latest commerce secretary announcement. The president spoke from a teleprompter in the ornate Indian Treaty Room for a few minutes. Then Gov. Gary Locke stepped to the podium and pulled out a piece of paper for reference.

The president’s teleprompter also elicited some uncomfortable laughter after he announced Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius as his choice for Health and Human Services secretary. “Kathy,” Obama said, turning the podium over to Sebelius, who waited at the microphone for an awkward few seconds while the teleprompters were lowered to the floor and the television cameras rolled.

Obama has relied on a teleprompter through even the shortest announcements and when repeating the same lines on his economic stimulus plan that he's been saying for months — whereas past presidents have mostly worked off of notes on the podium except during major speeches, such as the State of the Union.

Ari Fleischer, a former spokesman for George W. Bush, said while it’s entirely a matter of personal style, using a teleprompter at these smaller events has its drawbacks.

“It removes you from the audience in the room,” Fleischer said. When speaking from notes, Fleischer said, the president can pick up his head and make eye contact with those in the audience, as opposed to focusing on the teleprompter to his left and right.

Bush, Fleischer added, “would use the teleprompter for his major big events, but when he would travel around the country or do events, he would almost always work off of large index cards.”

The White House says Obama’s point of reference is insignificant.

"Whether one uses note cards or a teleprompter, the American people are a lot more concerned about the plans relayed than the method of delivery. This is not always true of the media," said Bill Burton, deputy press secretary.

Obama has never tried to hide his use of a teleprompter. It was a mainstay during the final months of his campaign. He brought it to county fairs and campaign rallies alike — and once had it set up in the ring at a rodeo.

In a break from his routine, Obama did not use a teleprompter during his pre-Inauguration speech at a factory in Bedford Heights, Ohio — and his delivery seemed to suffer. He paused too long at parts. He accentuated the wrong words. And overall he sounded hesitant and halting as he spoke from the prepared remarks on the podium.

As president, the stakes in what he says are higher. Governing is not campaigning, and, as a former first-term senator, Obama has not held a previous elected position where his words carried even close to this level of influence.

“In this kind of environment, you don’t want to make mistakes — on the economy you’re talking about doing things that affect the markets,” Kumar said.

But be it extra precaution, style or a mental crutch, Obama has shown in the past that he needs the teleprompter. And while he still has his prepared remarks placed on the podium in a leather folder, the White House has shown no sign of trying to wean him off of it.

Before Obama entered a room in the Eisenhower Executive Office Building on Wednesday to announce his crackdown on defense contracts, a CNN reporter asked an Obama aide if the teleprompter could be moved further away from the podium or lowered. The answer was an unequivocal ‘no.’

“He uses them to death,” a television crewmember who also covered the White House under Presidents Bill Clinton and George W. Bush said of the teleprompter. “The problem is, he never looks at you. He’s looking left, right, left, right — not at the camera. It’s almost like he’s not making eye contact with the American people.”

Wednesday’s event posed another scenario photographers and television crews have to work around. Obama had five others join him at the announcement, including Sen. John McCain. The takeaway shot was of Obama and McCain. But the teleprompter on Obama’s left was almost directly in front of McCain.

“You couldn’t get a good angle on him with McCain,” said a White House photographer who also covered Bush. “So if there’s someone else important in the frame, it’s hard to get a shot without the teleprompter.”
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: MSM notices that Obama is overly reliant on his teleprompter.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 11:05:45 PM »
It has been noted that he indeed becomes the Wizard of Uhs without those.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 11:39:27 PM »
And if you look really, really closely, you see a giant arm that is inserted... well... you know...

Fun part is that he can make sounds, and you don't even see the puppeteer's lips move.

Blog under construction

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 11:53:20 PM »
It has been noted that he indeed becomes the Wizard of Uhs without those.

OMG, I fell out of my chair at that and had to claw my way back up.

Soda on the bezel of my nice pretty new monitor and everything.  That was good.

Did you make that up?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

FTA84

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 02:53:38 AM »
I watched some of the inaguration replay with a liberal friend of mine.  He went on and on about how Obama is 'so pimp' because he memorizes all his speeches.   He was pretty upset when I burst his bubble that those small opague screens are actually telling him what to say.

Obama was (and is) all about illusion to the mass populace.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 09:12:04 AM »
Let me remind you all that Bush was known to use his fair share of "uhs" and even make up words when he was operating off the cuff. 
You guys are slipping into the exact same derangement syndrome that the liberals have been guilty of for the last 8 years. 
I'm moving this to the politics forum, too.  The frothing can stay over there.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 09:21:23 AM »
Let me remind you all that Bush was known to use his fair share of "uhs" and even make up words when he was operating off the cuff.

As will most people without a prepared speech.  What counts is doing it with enough confidence that people notice the message rather than the fillers.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 10:01:11 AM »
You guys are slipping into the exact same derangement syndrome that the liberals have been guilty of for the last 8 years. 
:rolleyes:
Name one person who ever said Bush was a great speaker.  From the very beginning, he was bad and no one expected great things when he spoke.  Not so with you-know-who.  That's how he made his name.  From the DNC speech in 04 up through the campaign, he was the next great orator.  There's no derangement when you make it known that the guy that is supposedly known for his oratory skills speaks like a nervous high school kid in front of the class without his teleprompter. 
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Rudy Kohn

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 10:06:04 AM »
I don't recall anyone saying that Bush was a particularly good public speaker.
However, I have heard plenty of people claim that Obama is an excellent speaker.  That he constantly needs to use TelePrompters is only stating that part of what makes him seem to be such an excellent speaker is the use of said TelePrompters.  That's okay--maybe he's too busy to bother memorizing long speeches.

Dannyboy beat me to the punch.  Oh, well.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 10:09:40 AM »

Bush was a total fumblemouth, but even he admitted that. He was modest.

What gets me is, as others have said, the "great orator" is by no means a Daniel Webster. He is posing and using the teleprompter as a crutch.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 10:20:04 AM »
My point being, that when it was pointed out by them during Bush's reign, we complained about their inability to focus on issues. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Impure Client

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 10:29:31 AM »

How long will an ex-president be used to point out how bad the president in office is?  Is it that hard to move on?  Face it we went from bad to worse.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 10:46:20 AM »
How long will an ex-president be used to point out how bad the president in office is?  Is it that hard to move on?  Face it we went from bad to worse.

I never disagreed with that point.  Just saying that the level of Obama Derangement Syndrome rivals that found over the last 8 years on sites like DU. 
JD

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2009, 10:51:06 AM »
  Face it we went from bad to worse.

No, no.  We went from bad to "Please put me in cryo, and thaw me out when he's gone." 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2009, 11:10:30 AM »
No, no.  We went from bad to "Please put me in cryo, and thaw me out when he's gone." 

And Fistful wins the thread....
Hi.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2009, 11:32:42 AM »
A Teleprompter, the way obama uses it, is the same as a hand in the back of a ventriloquist dummy...

Makes one wonder whose hand is in there?  =|

Nuff Said.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2009, 11:37:09 AM »
No no... fistful NEVER wins. He is made of fail: even when he's right, he's wrong!
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2009, 01:51:06 PM »
It is natural to look for ways to poke fun at the guy you didn't vote for.  I don't care about that as long as we don't take it too far. 

I think the other part is that we all heard at least some people comment about Obama being such a better speaker than Bush.  Maybe on average, he isn't.  What else does Obama have going for him?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2009, 02:12:29 PM »
  What else does Obama have going for him?

He just might be able to kill Bin Laden without his party complaining about it.
He's able to use the Patriot Act  without his party complaining about it.
He can bomb the enemy  without his party complaining about it.

If he wanted to, he could be a great President  without his party complaining about it.
I could remember when people were calling Bill "the best republican president ever"

I doubt President Teleprompter is up to it.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2009, 02:57:00 PM »
The story here isn't that Obama is lost without a teleprompter. Anyone who watched him last year knows that. The story is that someone in the press is now paying attention to that fact.

Too bad it's not the NY Times or WA Post. Won't happen, though. It would de-deify him.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2009, 06:56:12 PM »
A Teleprompter, the way obama uses it, is the same as a hand in the back of a ventriloquist dummy...

Makes one wonder whose hand is in there?  =|

Nuff Said.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2009, 07:57:16 PM »
No, no, no.  It's the Holy Spirit, obviously.  Remember, all scripture of Obama's utterance is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2009, 12:20:06 AM »
My point being, that when it was pointed out by them during Bush's reign, we complained about their inability to focus on issues. 

Who is "we?"

GWB was inarticulate on his best days.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2009, 11:57:17 AM »
No, no, no.  It's the Holy Spirit, obviously.  Remember, all scripture of Obama's utterance is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.
That is just bad.  Next you are going to start talking about him dividing asunder. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2009, 02:59:42 PM »
I never disagreed with that point.  Just saying that the level of Obama Derangement Syndrome rivals that found over the last 8 years on sites like DU. 

Wow, we're gonna need some links to backup that claim. =D
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G