Author Topic: Michael Medved with proper perspective on "Hope and Change"  (Read 12396 times)

longeyes

• friend
Re: Michael Medved with proper perspective on "Hope and Change"
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2009, 01:11:15 PM »
As much as I like Medved most of the time I put him, along with a few other radio talks I sample, into the "wobbly" class.  They will not follow their own reason where it's trying to take them, probably because they realize they'd make the wrong enemies and might lose their highly-paid jobs.  They go to the brink and back off.  Sometimes I think they exist just to let Joe and Jill Sixpack vent but never actually take responsible action.

Medved's snide remarks about "losertarians" demean his intelligence.  There's no God-given necessity for only two parties, and you'd think in these times he'd be a bit more cynical about what we can expect from either established organization.

Our situation is not hopeless, but it is what our hope truly rests on that is the issue for me.  The first thing is clarity: to see what is happening and who is causing it to happen.  The next is realism: to understand what it will take, all things considered, to stop the insanity.  The conclusion may not be the one we read in civics class sometimes.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2009, 11:32:13 PM »
I believe that those who oppose the very EXISTENCE of all third parties and who go out of their way to insult big and small L libertarians are not friends of liberty, no.
Medved and I both seem to disagree with you on whether the Libertarian Party represents the gold standard when it comes to advancing liberty.  The Libertarians talk a good game, but then again they manage to lose every election they enter.  To my knowledge, the Libertarian Party has never managed to advance any pro-liberty policy on the national level, and I suspect not on any statewide level either.

Maybe calling them "Losertarians" is a poor way to express the point, but it isn't inaccurate.

It's a distinction without a difference.  Sure, they're well-meaning.  They don't know they're working for the destruction of America.  They just are.  Their good intentions don't change the facts of the matter. 
This is very true.  It doesn't matter whether they're causing extreme harm deliberately or through ignorance or accident.  It's extreme harm either way.

And expecting people to avoid speaking about how extreme the current policies are is a joke.  I know some people don't like the discord and extreme talk and general contentiousness Obama engenders.  But his policies really are this extreme, and the only way to discuss them accurately is with extreme language.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 11:43:23 PM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2009, 11:51:28 PM »
NO ONE is winning elections any more, not if you mean in terms of representing the best interests of the American people.  It's not about partisan politics, it's about reality.  Reality is that this nation is unraveling in critical ways, and that's because the agendas of both parties do not comport with good policy and honest values any more.   It is about appearance and self-aggrandizement.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2009, 11:57:30 PM »
It's a distinction without a difference.  Sure, they're well-meaning.  They don't know they're working for the destruction of America.  They just are.  Their good intentions don't change the facts of the matter.

If I point my gun at your head,  and shoot and kill you, I'll be charged with murder. If I carelessly spin my gun on its trigger and shoot you in the head and kill you, I'll be charged with manslaughter. The DA isn't going to let me walk because I was stupid.

I don't think these folks are simply being stupid, though. They're trying to rush legislation through before the public has a chance to digest what's going on. They've all read the history of our country, including the history of the Great Depression and its causes, yet they're pursuing the same policies that caused the Depression.

They can't be so stupid as to believe that their health care "reform" plan will allow for private insurance companies to compete with a taxpayer-funded system. They surely know that they're going to drive insurance companies out of business, and Americans will be stuck with the system the politicians devise. They know that they can't sell a single payer system, so they try to hoodwink the public into thinking that a government-funded program can coexist with private companies.

Even where their policies are the product of stupidity, it's the equivalent of multiple DUI's, and they should be imprisoned for Governing While Intoxicated with Power.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2009, 11:20:06 AM »
The left actually believes that shooting our nation in the head would be good for it.  That is how warped popular thinking has become.  Indeed, any talk of not shooting the head is now seen as mean-spirited, bigoted, hateful and "the old, failed politics of the past." 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2009, 12:52:27 PM »
And it is the head that seems to most desire the decapitation...
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2009, 01:57:32 PM »
Medved and I both seem to disagree with you on whether the Libertarian Party represents the gold standard when it comes to advancing liberty.

No, we quite agree on that.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2009, 06:15:08 PM »
The left actually believes that shooting our nation in the head would be good for it.  That is how warped popular thinking has become.  Indeed, any talk of not shooting the head is now seen as mean-spirited, bigoted, hateful and "the old, failed politics of the past." 
I don't know whether they believe that or not.  They certainly like using it to advance their own ends.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge