Author Topic: printing 3-d guns  (Read 12504 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
printing 3-d guns
« on: August 28, 2012, 05:32:02 PM »
Let freedom ring.

http://defensedistributed.com/

Can you imagine the problems this creates for tyrrany?

Let's say you're a tin-pot despot.  Pick a country, doesn't matter.

You're a tyrant and you prohibit ownership of any firearms.  And you tax at 90% or higher, and you have a caste system, and you have a maniacal state religion, and you have goon squads running around with machetes.

SOMEONE gets their hands on a RepRap.  They print out more RepRap printers, then they print out a bunch of single-shot firearms. 

You could probably build a 100% plastic rimfire firearm, including barrel.  It only needs to last long enough to kill one soldier or goon that is better armed, once.  But a plastic rimfire semiauto would probably last dozens of rounds reliably, maybe hundreds.

Heck, make the barrel thick enough, or make a plastic insert to put inside a 3/4 inch or 1 inch steel pipe... and you can shoot 9mm, .223, 7.62x39, whatever from it.  At least once.

This is freedom and liberation for the minority African tribes that routinely get savaged by thugs.

This is a means to revolution for Falun Gong in western China.

This is something that EVERY criminal with a gang behind him, needs to worry about, in places where potential victims are now currently guaranteed to be unarmed.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: WikiWeapon
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 05:54:12 PM »
Meh.  Can't print primers and powder.  And, zip guns can (and are) already be built out of water pipe etc.  I don't see it changing the status quo.  If someone can make 3D printers, they are already well within the reach of making primitive arms.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 06:05:04 PM »
Will it work in NYC?
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 07:15:08 PM »
Comment section!

This one's just for fun:
I hope this never works. This is so dangerous! If guns become printable, drug wars, civil wars, and wars between countries will flare up. Guns are for killing, there should be as few as possible!

So with how few guns could we possibly get by?

This one I find interesting:
There are a multitude of reasons that non-registered, home-brew guns are not legal.

Such as? And in what jurisdiction?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 11:30:08 PM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 10:48:26 PM »
3D printer AR lower  Best of luck with that gun control.  [popcorn]

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 11:33:48 PM »
Well, everyone wants to bring back American manufacturing, don't they?  What better motivation. =D
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 12:05:15 AM »
The technology is not good enough for complex, multi-dimensional 3D shapes....yet....
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 03:27:13 AM »
I'm not worshipping the miracle of 3D printing. Get a lathe, get a mill, make a real gun.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 06:39:48 AM »
The technology is not good enough for complex, multi-dimensional 3D shapes....yet....

Direct laser sintering is (at least we considered it to be when we made freakin turbopump rotors on it)  Just a wee bit more expensive though.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 08:58:28 AM »
I'm not worshipping the miracle of 3D printing. Get a lathe, get a mill, make a real gun.
At this point in the cost/technology curve, yes.  In the long run, the idea of being able to create a firearm with zero machining skills is very, very interesting.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 09:17:49 AM »
So the theory is that, what is essentially a photograph, can be generated that will have working parts? How does one go about animating a photo? Ink is still just ink.

So we're back to working on alchemy? Geesh.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

birdman

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 09:24:48 AM »
So the theory is that, what is essentially a photograph, can be generated that will have working parts? How does one go about animating a photo? Ink is still just ink.

Not sure if serious.

3D printers deposit materials (plastics, metals, etc) in layers to build up a 3-D object.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 09:26:53 AM »
Direct laser sintering is (at least we considered it to be when we made freakin turbopump rotors on it)  Just a wee bit more expensive though.

And it's been around for 20, 30 years, if I recall. I don't recall the accuracy it can produce off the top of my head. I do recall it's gotten cheap enough to be used for limited-run production, and not just R&D or rapid prototyping. From what I remember, you use a laser to melt power in layers. Not sure it'll be economic for the average home user.

3D printers. Meh. I'm waiting for a revolution in mini-CNC machines. Cheaper and more durable parts.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 10:31:43 AM »
3D printers. Meh. I'm waiting for a revolution in mini-CNC machines. Cheaper and more durable parts.

A friend of mine has a small computer controlled lathe/mill set-up, and a 3d-scanner/milling machine, all tied into a computer.  All this could sit on the average desktop.  He's used it to "scan" 3d items and mill them out of other materials.  He has taken a broken Barami hip-grip for a j-frame, glued it together to maintain the shape, scanned the "repaired" part, then had the machine carve out a new one in a tougher material.  The scan was a high enough resolution to pick up the trademark/patent markings on the original and carve them into the replacement.

Chris

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2012, 11:17:54 AM »
And it's been around for 20, 30 years, if I recall. I don't recall the accuracy it can produce off the top of my head. I do recall it's gotten cheap enough to be used for limited-run production, and not just R&D or rapid prototyping. From what I remember, you use a laser to melt power in layers. Not sure it'll be economic for the average home user.

CNC machines require you to be a CNC operator.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2012, 12:55:33 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QP73uTJApw High definition multi colored printer makes objects used as prototypes or for hands-on engineering study.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6Px6RSL9Ac&feature=related Earlier version using metal powder that had to be fired in a kiln.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88BPmL8cGAo 3D printing of direct laser sintering of metal.

And finally, the RepRap, an open-source community project to make 3D printers accessible to everyone who wants one. (biggest deal is that as much as possible of a RepRap can be printed on another RepRap, and is being refined all the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMhG4fWQnlE

The technology is probably at a place where the personal computer was in the late 70's.

Eventually, home units that work in polymers, metals, and ceramics could make a decent firearm from start to finish might come about in the next few decades. Right now, something like a 21st century disposable single use version of the WWII Liberator pistol, that's meant as a last-ditch defense weapon, or to assassinate a soldier or other authority figure and steal their weapon is probably possible now.

I could see a throw-away polymer muzzle loading pepperbox type pistol that uses household chemicals as propellants, and common objects as projectiles being possible.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 12:59:46 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2012, 01:54:24 PM »
The technology will advance AS NEEDED. 
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2012, 02:04:31 PM »
CNC machines require you to be a CNC operator.

Ayep. And improvements in the interface and control could seriously drive down the degree of sophistication needed to use them efficiently.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2012, 02:17:41 PM »
Ayep. And improvements in the interface and control could seriously drive down the degree of sophistication needed to use them efficiently.

Indeed. I can think of a few things, like the ability to automatically mount and position metal blanks. Integrated 3D laser scanner that could image a blank, and then figure out how to orient it. And the ability to flip/transfer parts so the other side can be milled out without operator intervention.

Oh, and getting back to 3D printers, one thing it really opens up is the ability to make high precision castings. Making stuff with scrap Aluminum and Zinc is well within the reach of the home hobbyist with access to some propane, or even charcoal and a blower, and common materials at a hardware store.
I promise not to duck.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2012, 02:27:54 PM »
Oh, and getting back to 3D printers, one thing it really opens up is the ability to make high precision castings. Making stuff with scrap Aluminum and Zinc is well within the reach of the home hobbyist with access to some propane, or even charcoal and a blower, and common materials at a hardware store.

Zinc castings should be fairly easy to do at home- I've made lead moulds from scratch before as an expriment, they were good enough for 1 casting, which is all you'd need for a frame or a slide.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2012, 02:59:50 PM »
Aluminum is pretty easy too.  I have a propane fired aluminum foundry that was homemade - works great and was cheap.

I've always thought it would be fun to build some kind of common semiauto using only car parts as the source.  Melt down an aluminum cylinder head for receiver castings, use a moly steel axle shaft as the source for barrel material; at home EDM the bore and rifling.  It would be completly impractical, of course, but showing that it can be done by someone without a ton of specialized education and tooling would be cool.  Kind of a Dave Gingery approach to gun making.

Of course, there are easier options then clandestine manufacture for getting weapons into an area where they are not commercially avaliable; either illegal importation or theft from legitimate armories.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2012, 04:19:47 PM »
Of course, there are easier options then clandestine manufacture for getting weapons into an area where they are not commercially avaliable; either illegal importation or theft from legitimate armories.
Yeah, but smuggling and theft are pretty risky.  A home-built option is far less dangerous from that perspective (ignoring, for the moment, the increased risk of a catastrophic failure during firing).

brimic

• friends
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2012, 04:50:08 PM »
I've always thought it would be fun to build some kind of common semiauto using only car parts as the source.  Melt down an aluminum cylinder head for receiver castings, use a moly steel axle shaft as the source for barrel material; at home EDM the bore and rifling.  It would be completly impractical, of course, but showing that it can be done by someone without a ton of specialized education and tooling would be cool.  Kind of a Dave Gingery approach to gun making.

I saw a TV show Documentary about tiger poachers in the east Indies who did just that. IIRC they used the steering shaft for a barrel, melted down toothpaste tubes to make a bullet from, and used match heads/coating from playing cards mixture for propellent. They would trap a tiger in a snare and shoot it in the head with their home made 'musket' at a range that was just outside the tiger's reach.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

birdman

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2012, 08:49:46 PM »
I have a makerbot replicator 3D printer at home and it's pretty nice, the precision is quite impressive :)

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2012, 03:54:16 AM »

The advantage of a 3D printer is supposed to be that once you feed in the proper file, it prints out the part needed without any intervention of the user, rather than requiring (like with a CNC machine) elaborate skill.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner