Author Topic: Executions by nitrogen gas  (Read 12374 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Executions by nitrogen gas
« on: February 10, 2015, 05:46:48 PM »
http://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2015/02/10/nitrogen-gas-death-penalty-bills-clear-oklahoma-panels

We have discussed nitrogen hypoxia many times.  It will be interesting to see if this goes anywhere.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Executions by nitrogen gas
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 05:53:18 PM »
I'm sorry. I know this has all been said before, but what the heck is wrong with hanging, the firing squad, or just a bullet in the head?  :facepalm:

It's an execution for a capital crime, for crying out loud. They're not putting Fluffy to sleep. Should we really put ourselves out to make sure they feel no pain, even when we are killing them?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 06:00:29 PM »
I'm sorry. I know this has all been said before, but what the heck is wrong with hanging, the firing squad, or just a bullet in the head?  :facepalm:

It's an execution for a capital crime, for crying out loud. They're not putting Fluffy to sleep. Should we really put ourselves out to make sure they feel no pain, even when we are killing them?

Because the limpwristed spineless liberals in this nation care more about the criminals than their victims.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 06:04:02 PM »

I think we should.  To the extent that the death penalty is appropriate, I think it should be done in a humane manner. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 06:11:37 PM »
I think we should.  To the extent that the death penalty is appropriate, I think it should be done in a humane manner. 

Humane in the same context of the 8th amendment suits me.  Don't believe they had lethal injections when that was penned.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 06:12:48 PM »

Not much more humane than a bullet to the head. Cheaper too.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 06:17:39 PM »

This.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 06:31:09 PM »
I would tend to agree, but we have all seen the examples of law enforcement marksmanship.  The chance for errors is high.  Might have to move up to a firing company.   :laugh:
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 10:15:12 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 06:37:21 PM »
On the nitrogen, I have considered this myself.  It would be fairly cheap, painless, quick, and no rare or expensive chemicals would be needed.  The oxygen monitors that would be needed around it are cheap and easy to find.  They execute people so seldom that cylinder nitrogen could be used.  If they have to graduate to liquid nitrogen storage, they might be getting carried away with the numbers or procedures.  (I guess it might be needed if they go with a booth instead of a mask.)

I think someone here also mentioned using nitrous oxide as a prep. 

The funny thing is federal regulations would probably require them to use FDA regulated Nitrogen NF gas (food/hospital grade) that is manufactured using Good Manufacturing Practices instead of plain old industrial nitrogen. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 06:44:00 PM »
They should add helium to the bill as an acceptable gas to use, not only do they die just as quick as they do nitrogen you can get it at the nearby balloon store and the condemmed sounds like Donald Duck as he makes his exit. ;)   >:D

bob

birdman

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 06:52:00 PM »
But Ryan Kiesel, director of the Oklahoma chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union, described the legislators' effort as a "fool's errand."

"It's absurd to try to chase down a more humane way to intentionally take the life of another human being against their will," Kiesel said.

Ironic...given that the death penalty is effectively only applied when the convicted DID THIS TO SOMEONE ELSE

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 07:07:12 PM »
Firing squad and hangings can get messy if not done right.

This seems to be less of a hassle for those charged with hauling away the remains.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 07:13:48 PM »
I am a supporter of the technique. I can't think of a more humane method.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 07:21:29 PM »
I've recently become enamored of the "dig a hole and bury them" method. No intermediate steps, just dig a deep hole, throw them in and fill up the hole.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2015, 07:23:09 PM »
Humane, economical and hard to screw up. I'd say it's the best option.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2015, 07:24:20 PM »
I've recently become enamored of the "dig a hole and bury them" method. No intermediate steps, just dig a deep hole, throw them in and fill up the hole.

I like this a lot.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2015, 09:08:29 PM »
A bill promoting executions with nitroglycerine?

Hey, I'm all for it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2015, 09:48:12 PM »
I would tend to agree, but we have all seen the examples of law enforcement marksmanship.  The change for errors is high.  Might have to move up to a firing company.   :laugh:

No need to do all that.  One ad placed in the right place would yield plenty of qualified volunteers.  I'm sure they'd even supply their own "tools" and ammo.   [ar15]
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2015, 09:54:40 PM »
When Gary Gilmore was executed 1500 folks volunteered

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2015, 10:13:24 PM »
The lethal injection show is more about making the execution look like something medical or scientific than it is about pain.  I think policymakers have judged that they minimise fallout with that sort of look.

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2015, 10:52:54 PM »
They're not putting Fluffy to sleep. Should we really put ourselves out to make sure they feel no pain, even when we are killing them?

Actually, at the point we're executing somebody, I view it a lot like putting down ol'Yeller because he's rabid.  We're putting him/her down for the good of society.  We don't need to make it any more painful than necessary.

Plus, not leaving a mess(gunshot) or risking a head popping off(hanging) is a bonus.  However, the current system of tying the convicted down and sticking needles in them has to end.  If we continue with it it should be with a massive dose of straight painkillers - no need for the cocktail we use now.

The benefit of nitrogen asphyxiation as an execution method is that any good welding shop can provide everything needed - from what welding is necessary to form an airtight room and the associated connections for the gases to the gas itself.

Oh, and I'm partial to the booth method myself.  Give them a nice comfy chair in it and a book.  Let them listen to a stereo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOV8mBjHHYg

Remember - I view it as little different than putting down a rabid dog.  They're dying, no need to add anything to it.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 10:55:56 PM by Firethorn »

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2015, 11:09:41 PM »
On the nitrogen, I have considered this myself. 

Don't do it! 
Life is worth living!
(probably)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2015, 01:22:24 AM »

Hanging, done professionally, is humane.

A well-placed bullet is humane, obviously.

This lethal injection/inhalation/asphyxiation nonsense is a farce. Someone is being killed, and they're being killed as punishment for an awful crime. Torture is not called for, of course, but pain is to expected, when convicted of murder and sentenced to death. There is no justification for going to such lengths as we go to avoid it. If we're going to kill murderers, let's put on our big boy pants, and accept that the condemned will experience some unpleasantness as we kill them.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 07:24:57 AM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2015, 05:08:15 AM »
Lethal injection is, I believe, more painful than hanging.  As are most of the other methods we transitioned to away from hanging.

Firing squad, guillotine and such are acceptably painless, done right, but are too messy for people to accept it today.

I propose nitrogen asphyxiation as a fix for the over-complicated mess that is lethal injection.  If it was decided that firing squad, heck, captive bolt pistol, was enough, I'd go for that.

It meets the 'no unnecessary suffering' standard.  It's simple.  It doesn't require specialized medical training and experience.  It doesn't depend upon chemicals that are easily cut off.

You can go on about old methods of execution all you like, but they've already been ruled out. 

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2015, 06:42:25 AM »
But Ryan Kiesel, director of the Oklahoma chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union, described the legislators' effort as a "fool's errand."

"It's absurd to try to chase down a more humane way to intentionally take the life of another human being against their will," Kiesel said.

No it isn't against their will.  As soon as they took another life their will was to be executed.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!