Author Topic: Scotch and Cigars  (Read 9897 times)

Waitone

• friend
Scotch and Cigars
« on: December 19, 2005, 01:05:40 PM »
OK.  We're at that time of the year where time permits a little introspection and mind levelling.  I do so by getting a fine single malt scotch (2 fingers and crushed ice) and a large ring long dominican cigar.

Those of you possessing self-same class and dignity, what is your favorite combo?
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

SpookyPistolero

• friend
Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 01:11:26 PM »
My introspection recipe is not so 'upscale', but I love to sit and smoke a bowl or two of my pipe with some smooth blends and a Blue Moon, which I've grown pretty fond of.

"Happy mortal is he who knows the pleasure that a pipe bestows."

Smiley
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

USP45usp

• friend
Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 01:12:28 PM »
Brandy and whatever choice of cigar that I have left in a gift box that a friend got for me from www.cigar.com.

Wayne

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 01:24:06 PM »
thin crust pizza and white wine

I haven't smoked a cigar in ages. I used to really like Sosa.

I do like small batch bourbon though, like Knob Creek. Like you said a couple fingers and some ice. I also like to do 2-3 fingers neat with just a splash of water in it.

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

SADShooter

• friend
Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 01:26:31 PM »
Can't speak to the tobacco side, but a glass of the 12 or 18 year Macallan is a wondrous thing. I've drifted away from scotch, though, toward bourbon, and I've bought myself a bottle of brandy on every birthday since my 21st.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2005, 01:59:49 PM »
I prefer not to mix alcohol and cigars.
For the alcohol side, I have been known to enjoy a good tequila or a good bourbon.
For the cigars, I like mine with a cup of good strong coffee.  A. Fuente has a great plantation grown coffee which is excellent with one of their puros.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2005, 02:11:36 PM »
I stock Knob Creek for friends and family.

For really good friends and extra-special occasions, I stock and serve 12 year old Red Breast (Irish Pot Still Whiskey), neat.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

...has left the building.

Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2005, 02:12:01 PM »
The last combo I enjoyed of specifically scotch and a cigar was:
-MacAllan Fine Oak 10
-H. Upmann Reserve No. 1

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2005, 02:13:58 PM »
I can't really afford scotch or cigars right now, but the last thing I smoked and drank in concert was Mount Gay Eclipse rum and a macanudo.

Azrael256

• friend
Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2005, 03:57:24 PM »
I have a GR Special and a bottle of Glennfiddich.  Should be a fun evening.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2005, 04:13:38 PM »
My fave cigar is the Hoyo De Monterrey Excalibur #1. I don't smoke a lot, maybe 10-20 cigars a year (most of them this time of year Smiley  ). When I do the "fine spiritus fermenti and cigar" combo, it's generally with Grand Marnier or Amaretto (laugh all you want, but it's good, especially for cigar dipping). This year for my birthday I requested a Courvoisier VSOP Cognac.

My birthday was a few days ago, but I don't get to open presents till tomorrow, when my Niece can be here for it. I'm pretty sure I'll get the Cognac though. I'll let you guys what I think of the combo. I'm at my folks for Christmas, and already have my cigar stock in the travel humidor with me. And I've already started going through them, so they better hurry with that Cognac!  Cheesy
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2005, 04:24:03 PM »
Have yet to find a good drink I like.  Jack is about the only thing I like that I have tried, and I'm not about to go drop a bunch of cash on somethign I am trying out.  One thing I know, I don't like cheap liquor, and not too many people at college drink anything but cheap liquor.

So, for me, I'm gonna have to say Little Caesars $5 Hot-n-ready piza, and Labatt Blue.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2005, 04:48:24 PM »
I like to down a Pabst Blue Ribbon and smoke a Swisher Sweet.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2005, 04:53:25 PM »
I like to down a Pabst Blue Ribbon and smoke a Swisher Sweet.
That's it. I'm breaking out the tar and feathers. Who's with me??? Tongue
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HForrest

Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2005, 04:57:03 PM »
An eighth ounce of weed and Bacardi 151 mixed with Kool-aid.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2005, 05:10:25 PM »
That's it. I'm breaking out the tar and feathers. Who's with me???
Hey, now, PBR ain't too bad.  My roommate must agree, becaue my six-pack disappeared one night after telling him he could have one.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2005, 05:12:55 PM »
An eighth ounce of weed
Oops, looks like I stumbled into the wrong thread.  Sad

(Honest, visiting forums where they talk about smoking pot won't jeopardize my security clearance, will it, Mr. DIS investigator?)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2005, 05:38:54 PM »
16 YR Lagavalun and one of these nice Mayorga Robustos that I recently picked up. They are pretty cheap but suprisingly good.

Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2005, 06:50:49 PM »
I gave up the booze too many years ago.

I still appreciate a great cigar. Usually with great coffee or tea.

Recently vistited some folks. Had scrambled eggs with real slab bacon, wheat toast for supper and some great coffee. Retired to the den, dog jumped in my lab, handed a Cognac Snifter  with some really great Irish Breakfast tea, fine cigar, watching the fire place, dog all snuggled up, some old blues playing softly in the background...

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2005, 06:53:18 PM »
sm,
That's the good stuff.  I love quiet evenings with a few close friends, enjoying adult beverages, listening to great music.

stevelyn

• friend
Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2005, 09:43:40 PM »
Glenlivet and a Veracruz.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

bratch

• friend
Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2005, 09:54:20 PM »
Shiner or Bud. Do alot of Bud because I can get it for a $1 during happy hours but prefer Shiner.

I've about given up on liquor.  I did Captn & Cokes on Friday and if the ladies want I'll do SoCo&Lime with them.  I've had straight liquor a couple too many times and it hurts me now.  I can get sick almost from the smell of Jack alone.

Used to really enjoy cigars but the past few have made me feel less than stellar. Haven't had a real urge to smoke them after that.  I did buy a Fuentes Wendsday at the local watering hole on an impulse but didn't even smoke it.

I do have a good friend who is the manager at the Little Ceasars a few blocks from me so she hooks me up on the pizza front.

I guess I'll join the pizza and beer crowd.  Hotwings and beer aren't too bad either and will be dinner Tuesday night.

Lennyjoe

• friend
Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2005, 04:06:38 AM »
Neither.  I hate Scotch and don't like cigars.  Sorry.

OTOH, a cold Tecate and a shot of Jose Cuervo is heaven Smiley

Chris

Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2005, 06:02:09 AM »
Don't do the cigar thing.  Tobacco smoke really bothers my eyes.  However, when I'm feeling especially contemplative, which happens annually between Christmas and New Years day, I've got a set thing I do.  Set up a chair by the sliding doors, so I can look out on the night, especially if it's snowing.  Instrumentals in the background, something that most people would consider dark and depressing.  exactly what depends entirely on the moment.  The beverage is a special concoction of my own making.  Get some semisweet chocolate, and shave it down  (Wiliams-Sonoma offers it pre-shaved in a can, but it is much cheaper to do it yourself).  Heat milk on the stove until it just starts to bubble on the edges, then spoon in four tablespoons of chocolate for every cup of milk.  Stir until the chocolate is fully melted and blended.  Then, add a shot of Grey Goose for every cup of milk.  Sit back, look at the snow, listen and sip, and try to decide what course to steer this ship of life onto for the next year.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2005, 06:35:11 AM »
Quote from: Blackburn
Quote from: charby
thin crust pizza and white wine

Charby
mm.
I tried a frozen California Pizza Kitchen Sicilian Pizza Friday night, yummy stuff. I had it with a bottle of Ironstone Vineyards 2001 "Obsession" California Symphony, both were a first for me and worked out well while I watched 1-AA National Championship and my Alma Mater Loose.

charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536