Author Topic: What's the DMV / "license station" like?  (Read 3819 times)

What's the DMV / "license station" like?
« on: December 29, 2005, 01:46:21 PM »
I've been putting off going there to get my license (ID only..) because.. eh. I have no effin' idea what it's going to be like, whether it's a full on DMV office or just a little licensing place. A full DL would be nice too, but I haven't had practice for years and I need the ID now.

Part of what is slowing me down here is no intel. What's to expect? I have all the stuff needed to get the ID, it's just down to going in, and I'm not going to delay any longer. I need this, without it I can't proceed, I'm sick of not proceeding. undecided

Paddy

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 01:49:28 PM »
Life's an adventure.  You never know what to expect.  It's a journey, not a destination.  Enjoy the ride. Smiley

Kharn

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 03:06:25 PM »
Check your appropriate state's DMV website, they list what proof of ID you need.

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 03:11:54 PM »
Or just call them.  Or walk in and ask questions.  You can get a long ways by just asking the people that actually know.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 03:28:11 PM »
Nope.  Just long lines, and minor demons called Bureaucrats.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

grampster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 03:36:25 PM »
Let's roll!
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 03:47:37 PM »
Years ago, I survived the New Jersey license bureau.

If I can do it, so can you! Bring a book and a walkman type music player.

bermbuster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2005, 03:52:42 PM »
You will probably need a birth certificate or passport or something like that to prove your age.

Hang in there, the most it can take is 8 hours.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2005, 04:38:42 PM »
When I got my Colorado driver's license, the entire process took ten minutes, five of which were spent waiting in line. The woman behind the desk was pleasant, polite, efficient, and quick. For the grand sum of less than $20, I got a ten-year license.

That was one heck of a welcome change of pace from the People's Republic of California, where it typically took $35 and four hours to change the address on my license.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2005, 05:30:37 PM »
My experiences in CA were horrible, like Standing Wolf's. Oregon DMV has been a wonderful change.
Hi.

caseydog

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2005, 05:31:09 PM »
You don't per chance suffer from a bit of social anxiety disorder do you?

Ray
Be kind as you speak to others , they may be facing demons you are unaware of...

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2005, 05:44:13 PM »
Tacky plastic chairs from the 1970's in Teal, Orange, and Beige, uniformed drones (strangely, mostly women in E. TN) with butch attitudes.  If your schedule will permit, go on a Wednesday or Thursday afternoon about 2pm.  It's sort of like the cast of Reno 911 running a little shop.  

Have some fun with it!

Fig

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2005, 06:14:03 PM »
A social security card might help.  Usually, they'll want to see two "certifying" papers, like birth certificate and social security.  I think your passport will probably cover you just fine, but you might want to look it up first.

Whatever you do, bring a book.  Or ten.

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2005, 08:19:26 PM »
Really, this is probably among the least frightening things that your going to have to do in the next couple of years :-/

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2005, 01:13:16 AM »
Years ago, I survived the New Jersey license bureau.
I remember the brand new DMV office in Trenton. Help windows galore. Only one open, long line in front of it. Bureaucracy (sp?) at it's finest I'd say.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

bermbuster

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2005, 05:11:36 AM »
Quote from: Blackburn
Quote from: bermbuster
You will probably need a birth certificate or passport or something like that to prove your age.

Hang in there, the most it can take is 8 hours.
I've got:

Birth certificate
Passport
Utility bill
Registration docs from LLC that name me
Voters reg card

Prepared enough?
Don't know where you are located but in SC you sure would be.

The length of time depends on where you are going.  The last time I was at the DMV I was there about 10 minutes altogether.

griz

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2005, 06:06:46 AM »
In many places it used to be a boring and soul sapping way to spend a day. Most states have improved the process quite a bit. Most give you a number when you come in, then you sit for a while, get picture taken, fill out forms, and wait a little more while they print/assemble the licence. It might take 10 minutes or an hour depending on where you live. The worst part is you may get to deal with somebody who doesn't want to be there but is essentially chained to their chair. Don't worry, you will get out of there before they do. Smiley
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

SalukiFan

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2005, 07:30:48 AM »
Call ahead or go online and find out when the busiest and least-busy days and times are.  Here in Indiana, Tuesdays are hellish because the BMV (that's right, it's the Bureau of Motor Vehicles here) isn't open on Sundays or Mondays and is only open half-days on Saturdays.  

Knowing when it is busy and when it is quiet is half the battle.  

Good luck Blackburn! Smiley

Typhoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2005, 07:49:56 AM »
Many offices (at least here in California) will allow you to make an appointment.  Highly recommended.  Find the (800) number on the web (or perhaps you can even schedule the appointment via web).  I won't set foot in the DMV without one.  

Your collection of ID seems fine.  Good luck with the bureaucrats.  Keep a sense of humor.  A smile and well-placed joke can work wonders...
To the stars!

...has left the building.

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2005, 09:31:45 AM »
Comedian Dane Cook has labelled the DMV "Satan's A$$hole". Anyone who has ever been there needs to hear his skit on it.

DrAmazon

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2005, 11:02:17 AM »
Whenever I need to go to the DMV I plan to go twice.  The first time is the "practice run" where I bring everything I think need to based on what I've read on the webpage, but completely expect to not have something right and have to come back.  I'm usually pleasantly surprised that I've done it right, and get it done in one shot.  But if I have misread something and brought the wrong thing I'm not ticked off about coming back-because I planned it that way.  

This tactic worked well when I was trying to change my name, re-title an older vehicle, register a two new vehicles and get my motorcycle endorsement -all at the same time.  When I sat down with the pile of papers and told the clerk it was a "dry run" she totally cracked up.  I have to agree with Standing Wolf that the DMV in Colorado is generally decent.
Experiment with a chemist!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2005, 07:47:54 PM »
The DMV in my state hires the slowest, grumpiest, laziest bureaucrats that can be found. To get my CDL last year, I had to wait in line 3 hours just to take the written test, then another hour to get my mugshot taken for the license card.  There was a sign in the front entranceway that day that said "we are shorthanded today and expect long wait times" (this happened to conveniently be at a time when the state legislature was debating the state budget for the next 2 years)  In private businesses, when they are shorthanded people usually work a lot harder to get the job done. One of the middle aged men behind the counter walked into the backroom for at least 10 minutes out of every half hour and came back out with fresh cup of coffee- must be some sort of gov union break. None of these loathsome creatures will look you in the eye when talking to you either, maybe they got too many wedgies in gym class when they were growing up or something.  I actually went to the DMV today to drop off my vehicle registration and there were at least 75 pissed off looking people standing or sitting in line.

I hope I didn't spoil the suprise for you.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama