Author Topic: Well, I've raised a Corpsman..  (Read 15945 times)

Well, I've raised a Corpsman..
« on: May 07, 2005, 03:15:30 PM »
First of all, I'm pretty sure he can't be more than 13 or 14, but he says he's 18 and graduating from high school in two weeks. I'm not sure how this can be, but he's sticking with the story, so maybe there's some validity to it. :/

Apparently, plans for college are now off and the boy is joining the Navy as a Corpsman. He hasn't signed the papers yet, but is, as he says, 99.5% certain he wants to do this. His ASVAB scores are mid-90s, and he ultimately wants to become a Physical Therapist. His grades, etc. this year have been a little sketchy, but he's a good kid and in great physical shape (He runs a mile in something like 4:43) and I think overall, it's not a bad choice for him..I think college might not end up well for him right now.

Right now, there is apparently an overabundance of women in the field and an underabundance of men..which leads me that the reason they want men is to attach them to Marine units.

So, I have questions:

My understanding is that even in combat situations, he's allowed *only* a sidearm because he'd be considered a non-combatant. I don't like this, at all, because I'm pretty sure Iraqi terrorists don't care if he's a combatant, non-combatant or Mother-Freaking-Theresa. Is this true? If so, what do they issue him? What sort of training will he receive? I know Corpsman train with Marines, but I'd assume Marine training is more rifle-oriented, rather than a lot of handgun training, and if he's not allowed to have a rifle, that's not good enough.

What are they issuing now? What sort of holster system do they have? I've read shoulder rigs, which seems unwieldly, but maybe not. Will the training he receives be at least as good as what he can get in civilian advanced classes? I'd hope so, but like I said..I have no idea.

Off the topic of guns, can anyone tell me what his likelihood of actually getting PT training in the Navy is? What are the odds he won't be attached to the Marines and would be stationed somewhere else? The recruiter explained the situation as you go in as a very general medical type thing and then later down the road can apply for various schools.

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 03:26:28 AM »
Ah, the only squid us Marines really appreciate.  Good for him.  As for arming him, I think he'll only get an M9 but if the SHTF, he'll have his hands too full to use it or anything else anyway.  His unit will take care of him.  Just make sure he knows that he is in all essence a Marine at that point.  He'll be treated like one anyway.

Greg

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005, 07:12:06 AM »
If you have not yet talked to the recruiter do so.  Also if possible see if there is any reserve units in your area and have your son and yourself see if you can not talk to a corpsman.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2005, 10:16:53 AM »
My understanding is that even in combat situations, he's allowed *only* a sidearm because he'd be considered a non-combatant. I don't like this, at all, because I'm pretty sure Iraqi terrorists don't care if he's a combatant, non-combatant or Mother-Freaking-Theresa. Is this true? If so, what do they issue him? What sort of training will he receive? I know Corpsman train with Marines, but I'd assume Marine training is more rifle-oriented, rather than a lot of handgun training, and if he's not allowed to have a rifle, that's not good enough.
Heh.  All soldiers and Marines take care of their medics.  For obvious reasons.   If he needs a rifle, he'll have a rifle.  

Indeed, I noticed most medics are issued M9's.  This is generally because they are hauling a lot of medical supplies, and their primary mission is patching up grunts instead of killing the bad guys.  They will still be trained to kill bad guys, and train with their unit.  Navy boot camp isn't designed primarily to train its sailors to kill the bad guys with small arms (obviously), but he'll get trained up to spec by the Marines if he's attached to a Marine unit.

What are they issuing now? What sort of holster system do they have? I've read shoulder rigs, which seems unwieldly, but maybe not. Will the training he receives be at least as good as what he can get in civilian advanced classes? I'd hope so, but like I said..I have no idea.
The most common issued holster is an OD green side holster attached to the pistol belt.   However, every Army unit I've ever seen allows soldiers to buy pretty much whatever holster they want.  Leg holsters, under the armpit holsters, tanker style holsters, etc.  Not sure about the Navy.  (Yes, the Marines are just another branch of the Navy.  Hehehe)

Yes, he will get good training as a Corpsman.  I've only met a handful, but they've all been extremely well trained in many medical fields.  

Off the topic of guns, can anyone tell me what his likelihood of actually getting PT training in the Navy is? What are the odds he won't be attached to the Marines and would be stationed somewhere else? The recruiter explained the situation as you go in as a very general medical type thing and then later down the road can apply for various schools.
I'm not Navy so I'm not sure.  Ask the recruiter, and get any promises IN WRITING IN HIS CONTRACT.  If it's not in writing, it never existed.   The recruiter is correct that they will get generalized medical training similiar to an EMT.  If you want to know more about specialized training, ask the recruiter to get your son in touch with a Corpsman currently serving.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Detachment Charlie

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2005, 03:40:48 PM »
So, you've raised a Corpsman.

Thank you.

mhdishere

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 05:01:43 AM »
While I can't answer any of your questions, having no direct experience, I can relate the following:

My Dad was USMC in the South Pacific during WW II.  Like most Marines the term "Sailor" was usually used in association with some language I won't repeat in the presense of a lady, but Corpmen were different.  You never insulted a Corpman in the presense of a Marine, Corpmen never bought their own drinks when there were Marines around.  

Congratulations, you should be proud.

Old Fud

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 05:27:07 AM »
Only a month ago, this lady described herself as looking like either a soccer mom or a "granola chomping lesbian" depending on how she combed her hair.  
That GCL description intrigued me so I spent some time searching through Oleg's Galleries of friends scrapbooks.

And came across a family with a lady who, surprisingly, had described herself quite accurately --- and a soccer lad who couldn't possibly have been more than 13 years old.  

Him?  

18?  

Nahhhhh.

Fud

P.S.  You have a lovely looking family, Ma'am.
Change is Bad!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2005, 08:43:19 AM »
I was Army, 75th RR, not USMC.  All our medics packed M4A1 carbines, in addition to their medical gear.  M9 pistols were for O-4 & above or second fiddle to a primary weapon.

The smallest guy in our unit (115#-125#) was our platoon medic & packed his monstrous ruck & M4A1.  He made up for his lack of size with a high level of motivation.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Chris

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2005, 10:04:28 AM »
The leathernecks are right.  The squad will take care of him.  Well at that.  If he needs a rifle, they'll get him one...somehow.  If he ends up attached to a combat unit, look into getting him one of the tactical thigh holsters for the M9.  It'll be handy, yet out of the way of body armor and other gear.

And, as a former Army puke, who had the pleasure of spending some time with a Marine rifle company and their corpsman, I can say that he'll be well cared for, well appreciated, and well loved.  As he already is.

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2005, 02:24:58 PM »
Fud.. Smiley

Thanks.

We'll see. He's a grown up, and has to make this decision for himself. I worry about his mental health as well..he's a nice kid and it's a tough job. But I've done what I can to get him to this point, and he has to make his own way from here. I wish he'd find an easier route, but having always been a bit stubborn myself, I'll be proud of him whatever he does.

As far as training, since he planned to do DEP until early fall, I'm going to get him to take a CCW class next month, and then I'm going to try to make sure he gets as much advanced training as possible before he leaves. It can't hurt for him to have as much practice and knowledge with a sidearm as he can.

I'm glad to hear he'll be taken care of..because if anything happens to him, I'll declare war on them myself, I swear to God.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2005, 02:46:59 PM »
Hell hath no fury like a mother. . . . .
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2005, 01:49:38 PM »
You betcha.

You all think I'm cranky around here..you haven't seen anything yet. Smiley

Happy Bob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2005, 07:51:06 AM »
He's gonna be a Corpsman? Well Done, Barbara!
WE DON'T WEAR FUR.
(We have it made into Cowboy Hats)

Smith

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2005, 03:14:20 AM »
Barbara, I just returned from Iraq where I saw plenty of Corpsmen and Army Medics as well.  I assure you I never saw a single one with JUST a sidearm.  

WHAT HAPPENS OVERSEAS STAYS OVERSEAS which means that when his boots hit the ground if he has a commander that is worth the rubber in his soles, he will have a rifle in his hands immediately.

I would highly suggest you spend some extra cash and send him to a school such as Gunsite for both a pistol course and a carbine course.  Thousands of military folks will go to Iraq or Afganistan (or any other hot spot) and never even load their rifle or see anyone else do it.  They will lug a dirty, dry, not-sighted-in rifle around for a year and complain about it being a ball-and-chain.  A Corpsman will be where he is needed (meaning that he will likely see many loaded [and firing] rifles), and he might as well know how to use the killing tools as well as the saving tools.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2005, 06:34:40 AM »
If you're worried about how he's armed, why not talk him into AF Pararescue? Tongue
Seriously, Marines take good care of Corpsmen.  He will be protected and looked out for.  If the bullets are flying, he won't need a rifle, because he might be patching people up.  Don't get wrapped up around this point, because its not what a Corpsman does.  They don't pack rifles for a reason, and its not because of the whole non-combatant thing.  He's going to be loaded down with med gear, and probably have his hands full most of the time dealing with everything from blisters to sucking chest wounds.  However, if he's going to be in a combat unit, they will train him to operate what is needed.
Not all corpsman are in combat units.  In Yuma, our hospital and squadron medical clinics had Corpsman in them.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Andrew Wyatt

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2005, 06:26:45 PM »
barbara: you might consider asking around on lightfighter.net. those guys are switched on and squared away, and they have a bunch of medic types there.

SMLE

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2005, 06:48:53 PM »
You might also check out this forum: http://www.emtcity.com/phpBB2/index.php
They have a "tactical" medical forum there too.

If he winds up as a field Corpsman with the Jarheads, his grunts will take darn good care of him. They will see to it that he has any kind of boomstick he wants or needs. I've heard that shotguns are popular for that kind of work.

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2005, 03:52:41 PM »
Thought I'd post a couple of pictures of him..since he graduated yesterday and is up at MEPS today.

(Hey, Fud..that's my soccer mom look!)

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2005, 06:17:57 PM »
From one recent grad and soon to be military guy to another, congratulations...

Old Fud

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2005, 09:31:00 PM »
Yup.  I recognize it.
On the other hand, the soccer Mom's soccer-playing son in the pictures I saw only came to Mom's shoulder -- or thereabouts.  

Must have been a little while since Oleg was visiting.  

We're going to have to admit he done growed up and is ready for the next step.
From the look on his face, He's enjoying life now and will continue to do so as he proceeds to make his mark.   I think you done good there.

Out of curiosity, where did the "slim" come from?  I recall Dad as being Big.  

Fud
Change is Bad!

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2005, 12:44:50 AM »
Thanks, PW. I'll pass it along to him.

Fud, that's the other one, who is up to my shoulder now.

Both of them are accidently adopted (long story!) It's just been us for years so you must have someone else in mind.

You know, statistically, he ought to be in jail right now (I'm 36..he's 18..and I'm a single woman and didn't give birth to him, although I've raised him since we were both little.) I think it says a lot about him that he knows what he wants..he's a good kid. I'm happy.

SkyDaver

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2005, 09:47:58 AM »
Congrats to both of you, and best wishes to both of you, too.

Another option as a corpsman is to go to USN Diving school.  All the surface supplied diving units have at least a diving qualified corpsman.
What Would Stephen Maturin Do?

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2005, 05:20:10 PM »
Barbara,

Be proud.  Ya done good!
I was an Army medic, and after finishing the advanced course near the top of my class, I had a choice to make-- return to the "real world" and finish college, or declare as "regular army" and take some more medical training.  I went National Guard/weekend warrior and always wondered "what if".

Fast forward 10 years, and I go to a rough-around-the edges doctor and we get to talking.
Turns out he had gone the same route I had, but made the choice to take all the medical training the US Army would send him to.  He became a doctor, and it was like seeing the "what if".

All that to say: if he gets in and enjoys it, encourage him to get all the training he can stand.
Best wishes to you AND your corpsman!

Ben aka Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2005, 03:03:49 AM »
It's a pretty safe bet he'll be sent to Iraq since they're short on male Corpsman, and two Corpsmen have died in the past week. So..damn. I think I'm going to worry obsessively for the next 4 years.

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2005, 01:45:27 PM »
Well, he leaves tomorrow for boot camp.