Author Topic: Sound off Member comments  (Read 1344 times)

Polishrifleman

• friend
Sound off Member comments
« on: November 09, 2007, 09:29:00 AM »
Do any of you read the reader comments following a news article?  I love reading them especially on the Fox Sports page.  How many different words can BLEEP mean?  The annonimity of the internet has really caused quite a few members of our society to grow a pair.

Polishrifleman

• friend
Re: Sound off Member comments
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 09:29:26 AM »
"First"

Had to do it! grin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 09:34:20 AM »
Do not play at work, around small children, Art's Grandma or Fistful.  smiley

Consider yourself warned!

http://www.ilovewavs.com/comedy/Misc/*expletive deleted*ck.wav

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Polishrifleman

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 09:43:20 AM »
Not looking to make Art's granmaw mad looking for curse words from the group Charby but thanks for the warning.

What I am getting at is at times when reading the comments I really have to dig deep by trying to figure out what the writer is bleeping.  Otherwise the comments can be quite humourous.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 09:50:41 AM »
Every once in a while I follow a news link to AOL. The reader comments there indicate the planetary average IQ is about 42.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 09:52:07 AM »
Just think of Carlin's Seven words and add them in as needed. Most of them conjugate as multiple things. Similar to the .wav file I posted.
Not sure if it shows a sign of strength or a sign of ignorance when other words could be used in place of explicits.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Polishrifleman

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 10:01:35 AM »
Ben I think 42 is pushing it grin, not to mention the personal attacks that happen, and as I mentioned the ability to suddenly "grow a pair" due to supposed annonimity.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 10:20:36 AM »
. . . How many different words can BLEEP mean?  The annonimity of the internet has really caused quite a few members of our society to grow a pair.
Funny you should bring this up . . . on another board, I wrote something along the lines of "What the %$#! does this mean?" and drew a PM from a moderator chiding me for "abbreviated profanity."  police

Funny, I thought that %$#! was acceptable everywhere, even in the funny pages of the newspaper . . . even a generation or two back . . .

I found out otherwise.  rolleyes
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 12:41:30 PM »
Do not play at work, around small children, Art's Grandma or Fistful.  smiley

Tongue  I was vegging before the toob one night, in a motel room.  I think it was in Provo, Utah, which will surprise you if you keep reading.  There was a public access show in which a guy discussed all of the words that can't be said on TV.  He claimed that he couldn't get in trouble for saying them, because he was actually using different words that were spelled differently, but just happened to have the same pronunciation and meaning. He went on like this for a good twenty minutes.  There should be a punch line here, but that's it.   smiley
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 12:44:20 PM »
on another board, I wrote something along the lines of "What the %$#! does this mean?" and drew a PM from a moderator chiding me for "abbreviated profanity."  police

Funny, I thought that %$#! was acceptable everywhere, even in the funny pages of the newspaper . . . even a generation or two back . . .

You should meet my paternal grandparents, my wife and her (my) pastor.  They do not use darn, heck, gosh and similar "by-words," as they are simply stand-ins for damn, hell and God.  And they have a point.  I have pointed out that they shouldn't say "Oh my goodness," either, but they still do.   smiley
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife