Author Topic: Installing cabinets - cutting molding?  (Read 1528 times)

Hutch

• friend
Installing cabinets - cutting molding?
« on: November 09, 2007, 01:08:50 PM »
Folks, I'm going to start installing some cheap cabinets in my mudroom/utility room.  There are crown moldings and base moldings in place that need to be removed where the cabinets will be.  Is there some good way to cut them out in place, rather than trying to take them down, cutting out the unwanted sections, and re-installing?  I'd almost try my recip saw, but the blade is kinda whippy, and I'm pretty certain I'd booger up the wallboard.  I don't know if I can hold a jigsaw steady enough for a plunge cut, but that might be the way to try.  Any woodworkers/cabinet gurus or handymen out there got any tips?

Thanks...

Hutch (the klutz)
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Installing cabinets - cutting molding?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 01:20:57 PM »
A man named Hutch asking for cabinetry advice?  grin

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 02:49:31 PM »
I used a drill with a small circular saw attachment when I installed some wood floors. There is also something similar out there that's a bit safer. Something like this:

That's more for undercutting, which I was doing, but with care and caution, you could cut vertically with it. The best option is to pull it off, measure, and then cut out what you don't want and re-attach it afterwards.

Take a peek at this site: http://www.craintools.com/pages/specialtysaws.html
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 03:35:52 PM »
Drill a starter hole on the safe side of your cutline and use a jig/saber saw as far as you can then finish with a manual keyhole saw.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

armchair warrior

• friends
  • QuickDraw on THR
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 03:48:07 PM »
Take it from someone who does this for a living. police
Pull the moldings,install cabinets,re-install moldings.
There are some specialized tools to use to cut trim
in place(Multitool),but its a much faster,cleaner
install to pull it,install cabs,re-install trim.
Lots of carpenters fear crown molding,I don't,I like to
install it. cheesy

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 04:22:20 PM »
Thanks for the tips, guys.  At this point, the jury is still out.  I'm going to buy white melamine cabinets RTA from a big-box store.  Seems like the damned trim work will be the biggest part of the job angry
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 04:40:15 PM »
For the record, I agree with AW; but I thought you said you didn't want to take down the crown.

Nothing wrong with the mid-to-high-grade DIY cabinets from depot/lowes: mine have lasted 10 years like new.

Overall, the best approach to a fairly big project is: DEMO (clear the decks), MARK (place lines and marks exactly where intended), INSTALL (install).

TC
TC
RT Refugee

cassandra and sara's daddy

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 05:41:17 PM »
bosch makes a power "hand saw"  about 100 bucks can cut em in place with it

http://bosch.cpotools.com/saws/power_handsaws/1640vs-46.html

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 05:56:04 PM »
With crown molding where the top of the wall meets the cieling, you have to pull it down.

I don't think anything other than a Dremel or roto-zip spiral saw maybe could cut it in place without buggering up the wall more than taking it down would. Unless it's high quality HUGE multi-piece old crown moldings, you won't have room or the depth at the inside of a right angle where the ceiling meets the wall to use a jigsaw or sabersaw either. And even with a Dremel or spiral saw you'll have to do it freehand, standing on a ladder working over your head. You won't get a straight line, and worse, you'll never know exactly where to cut before the cabinets are up, but do it that way, you have to cut first. It's just bass-ackwards to try it that way, and the odds of disappointment are quite high.

So it's indeed AW is right, it's actually much easier to gently pry it down and cut it after the cabinets are installed. Even if the nails rip the wall up badly, it's still easier to patch and repaint the walls than it is to fix buggered up wood.

If the trim has been painted over several times, first score the edges between the trim and the wall and cieling with a razor knife to break the paint bead.

Then use a thin sharp trim work flatbar prybar and carefully get it underneath one edge. Use a block of scrap wood underneath the fulcrum of the prybar to spread the load out so you don't dent the wall and cieling. Take your time, move around to different places on the crown molding so it comes off evenly and doesn't bend too far in any one place. Once it's down, gently pull the nails out, it may be easier to pull the tiny-headed finish nails through than back them out, and you can always putty the holes and/or repaint.
I promise not to duck.

cassandra and sara's daddy

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 06:24:26 PM »
draw linw where you want to cut it  score line several times with sharp razor knife  use the bosch to cut on waste side of score  cut from middle down  then from middle up   cut some today ina 200 year old house where i didn't want to mess up trim with 20 layers of paint or screw with old plaster