Main Forums > Politics

Clemens pressed by Congress,

<< < (2/3) > >>

Bogie:
More people will care about this than know who the major four candidates we've got running for president.

Sergeant Bob:

--- Quote from: grampster on February 13, 2008, 02:17:06 PM ---Baseball by government fiat, is immune from many laws that control business.  Ergo, they get to stick their noses into it.

Personally, I could care less if they all take drugs and enhancers.  Should they not have the same ability to "choose" what to do with their bodies as women who abort their children? 

Excellent point grampster.

geronimotwo:

--- Quote from: grampster on February 13, 2008, 02:17:06 PM ---Baseball by government fiat, is immune from many laws that control business.  Ergo, they get to stick their noses into it.

Personally, I could care less if they all take drugs and enhancers.  Should they not have the same ability to "choose" what to do with their bodies as women who abort their children?  At the same time I am reminded of the biblical admonition that "...the love of money is the root of all evil."  I wonder how many athletes would abuse their bodies with steroids etc. if they were being paid $35.00 an hour  plus health insurance, dental, vision and a 401k to practice and play.

i agree that personal liberties should afford me the right to put whatever substance i choose into my own self ,assuming i do not harm others while doing so (of course this argument could be its own case against steroids with the "rage" issues). however, it still seems to be "cheating" in its own form. but then why would using a modern medical advancement be considered cheating? thats almost like saying my kids shouldn't get their shots, or my dads prostate shouldn't have been removed, as it's cheating.

back to the original issue, wasn't it congress who allowed the anti trust laws to be set aside for baseball, and football. this allowed the national and american leages to form a monopoly. but it would seem the only interest they should then have is whether the american public is being ripped off by the $85 cheap seats (which used to be under $10 dollars at one time). i wonder if any congress members get vip seats for life?

HankB:
News reporters and Congresscritters get their knickers twisted over allegations that baseball players used steroids or HGH years ago . . . and yet none of these people care that the Democratic party's current front runner for the office of President used marijuana and cocain . . .

And HE isn't playing a silly game for grown men, he wants a job where he'll be walking around with nuke launch codes in his pocket.

What's wrong with this picture? 

geronimotwo:

--- Quote from: HankB on February 14, 2008, 08:28:45 AM ---News reporters and Congresscritters get their knickers twisted over allegations that baseball players used steroids or HGH years ago . . . and yet none of these people care that the Democratic party's current front runner for the office of President used marijuana and cocain . . .

And HE isn't playing a silly game for grown men, he wants a job where he'll be walking around with nuke launch codes in his pocket.

What's wrong with this picture? 

do you believe that he is the only one who has used illegal drugs, out of all our public "servants", or the only one honest enough to come forward and admit it? do you believe that the average american would vote for a drug "abuser" if they hadn't experimented in their past. to go even farther, i believe that his popularity may be because "the people" may want to believe that he will help reverse the unconstitutional drug laws, because of his past.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version