Author Topic: Shooting at California garlic festival  (Read 2886 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Shooting at California garlic festival
« on: July 29, 2019, 12:17:10 AM »
Info still coming in
Still considered an active scene

ATF, local law enforcement respond to reported shooting in Gilroy
https://www.foxnews.com/us/gilroy-garlic-festival-california-shooting-reported
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
Re: Shooring at garlic festival
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 12:18:43 AM »
One witness told KTVU that he heard what he believed was 30 rounds.
CA should ban "hi cap" mags. Oh wait.....
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Shooting at California garlic festival
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 01:16:41 AM »
Probably a garlic hater.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 01:39:57 AM »
So far according to the link above
4 dead, 15 injured
One shooter dead, police looking for a possible second.
Saying "assault" rifle used
Saying the shooter cut through a fence to avoid metal detectors
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 01:41:11 AM »
Van Breen and other members of the band dove under the stage. Van Breen says he heard someone shout: “Why are you doing this? “and the reply: “because I’m really angry. “

That's all they need to blame Trump
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2019, 08:53:33 AM »
That's all they need to blame Trump

With condolences and dare I say? Prayers to the dead and injured, that comment from the shooter about makes me want to put my tinfoil on and say it sounds exactly like something a crazed TDS nutjob would say if they were trying to push their agenda by making it look like an act by an "alt-right Trump supporter". Gotta do something about all those guns, eh?

Now that I've been out of CA for a while, I'm more attuned to where these incidents take place. Everyone in this state is armed to the teeth. The Panhandle is supposedly home base for every white supremacist in the country. My area has a very large percentage of many ethnicities. Yet pretty much no mass shootings, and proportionally few single shooting incidents.

https://rockinst.org/gun-violence/mass-shootings-by-region/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2019, 11:39:35 AM »
Has anyone seen anything about the shooter and/or weapon used yet? Seems like we usually hear something by now.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2019, 11:40:49 AM »
And right after posting that I see they did put up his name
The deceased gunman who killed three and injured 15 at a Northern California food festival Sunday night has been identified by authorities as Santino William Legan, according to multiple reports.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2019, 11:44:10 AM »
It's from the internet so take with a grain of salt until verified

Santino William Legan: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know
https://heavy.com/news/2019/07/santino-william-legan/

- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2019, 12:40:56 PM »
Has anyone seen anything about the shooter and/or weapon used yet? Seems like we usually hear something by now.

So far, I've seen reports of everything from "a long rifle" to "a machine gun." Most reports call it an "assault weapon" but, inasmuch as that's a legal term that varies by state, we'll have to wait until the police formally identify the weapon (or weapons) used before we can be certain.

Does anyone know if the Gilroy Garlic Festival is a declared "gun-free zone"?

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2019, 01:30:17 PM »
Yes, with "wand" and bag checks at entrances and a heavy police presence.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2019, 02:37:08 PM »
Yes, with "wand" and bag checks at entrances and a heavy police presence.

It wasn't like the first couple of years I went. 1979 and 1980. It was still something that wasn't very crowded and enjoyable. I guess now they do metal detectors, bag checks, pat downs and possibly strip searches for special cases. I imagine strip searches will now become mandatory.

bob

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2019, 03:10:56 PM »
According to most of the news articles he cut a hole in the fence to bypass security
- Calvin and Hobbes

BobR

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2019, 03:45:40 PM »
According to most of the news articles he cut a hole in the fence to bypass security

I am not sure I want to buy that explanation, I would think if anything he took advantage of an existing defect (hole) in the fence or entered where there was no fence. Sometimes I wonder how much stuff gets spun a certain way in order to deflect criticism and to feed a narrative. It hits the news for a couple of cycles, become gospel, and you never hear anything else.

bob

ETA: Like this quote “Despite the fact that they were outgunned with their handguns against a rifle, those three officers were able to fatally wound that suspect,” . 3 on 1, what was the range, if over 25yds or so, maybe outgunned but not necessarily so. Also it is being reported he bought the gun in Nevada on July 9 and transported it back to CA. As soon as he hit the CA line he was breaking the law, another law that is pretty much useless.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2019, 03:55:33 PM »
I am not sure I want to buy that explanation, I would think if anything he took advantage of an existing defect (hole) in the fence or entered where there was no fence. Sometimes I wonder how much stuff gets spun a certain way in order to deflect criticism and to feed a narrative. It hits the news for a couple of cycles, become gospel, and you never hear anything else.

I, too, have seen numerous reports that he cut through the fence with some unidentified tool ... but none of the reports seem to know where the hole in the fence is. It really shouldn't be all that difficult to walk the fence line and find the hole -- especially since it should be well marked with crime scene tape at this point.

Read a report that quoted a visitor to the fair as having said that her bag was searched when she and a friend entered, but her friend's bag wasn't searched.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2019, 04:17:02 PM »
Time to bulk buy garlic before the prices go up.  :rofl:
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2019, 04:47:17 PM »
Also it is being reported he bought the gun in Nevada on July 9 and transported it back to CA. As soon as he hit the CA line he was breaking the law, another law that is pretty much useless.

I wonder if it was a private sale? Once a dealer saw his CA license, they should have said, "sorry", no? I'm still trying to catch up on what's legal for in-person out of state sales in America.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
- Calvin and Hobbes

BobR

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2019, 04:57:34 PM »
I wonder if it was a private sale? Once a dealer saw his CA license, they should have said, "sorry", no? I'm still trying to catch up on what's legal for in-person out of state sales in America.

Good luck on that. Basically the laws of your home state follows you. You can buy long guns away from your home state and clear the background at point of sale and take possession, unless of course your home state has stupid laws about semi-auto long guns like CA and WA and then the FFL has to follow the rules of your state of residence. Any handgun purchase away from your home state will require it to be sent to an FFL in your home state for you to take possession. I am sure there are other less restrictive and more restrictive laws depending on the states involved.

bob

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2019, 04:58:43 PM »
Dems have their usual knee jerk solutions
Ban Guns
Impeach Trump
Funny how nearly 100% of these mass shootings occur in Dem control areas with the tightest gun control.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 05:23:06 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2019, 04:59:11 PM »

https://consumer.findlaw.com/consumer-transactions/private-gun-sale-laws-by-state.html
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2019, 05:15:00 PM »
According to this he used a AK-47
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7298307/Hateful-final-Instagram-posts-Gilroy-Garlic-shooter.html

Argh, stupid limeys. They think "mestizo" is a racial slur, and then they kept censoring some word that started with a "t." I can't figure out what they're talking about.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2019, 05:31:35 PM »
It's a typically British term for a woman's reproductive organ.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

BobR

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2019, 05:35:16 PM »
It's a typically British term for a woman's reproductive organ.

Or a euphemism for those twits up in Silicon Valley. That's pretty mild to things I may have called them back in the day, being stationed right in the heart of Silicon Valley gave me an up close and personal with lots of those types.  ;)

bob